The Official Mario Kart Wii Thread

CUPC4KES

THERE IS ONLY ONE TRUTH.....
Website
Visit site
So i thought id start this thread, seeing as i pre ordered it a few days back from game.co.uk and its out in a few days time, hopefully we could get some online battles/races set up, anyone interested????

nice idea :)
Didn't know preorders were open. I shall do the same, thanks for the website

I'll be up for it. Getting it early on friday so I'll post my fc here once I've got it.

Out of curiousity... what control setting will you all be using? Me, personally, I'll probably go with a gamecube controller although I will try with the wii wheel

i'll definitely be trying it with the wii wheel, but not sure i like the way it appears to handle,theres a couple of videos on youtube comparing wheel to remote use, i have the classic controller, i think you can use that, if so i'll use it. as for pre orders play or amazon arent doing it, or have fulfilled their allocated stock, im not one to pre order but nintendo's stuff always seems to be a bit short on stock on release dates, and game promise to have it delivered for release date. i'll put my friend code up soon.

I have to agree. Nintendo's games are always in short supply when they come out. I can remember a few times going into a store and buying a Nintendo made game only for the cashier to say thats the last copy of it. Don't understand why it is.

And yes, you can use the classic controller. I may use that but I think my gamecube controller will sit better with me. It'll be good to see how the 'Battle of the Controller Types' fairs when it comes to online. Obviously, it'll be harder to steer with the wiimote or the wii wheel but the classic controller and the gameucbe controller can't do the tricks and speed boosts. That's where it'll be interesting to see it pan out. Obviously, if you are a good enough driver and know the tracks well enough, you won't need the tricks for speed boosts although I do fear that the speed boosts will become like snaking and almost ruin the game.

Also... I wonder if all 32 tracks are playable online or if it'lll be like MKDS where only 20 were playable online.

i'm not keen on the snaking used in mkds, i completed the game on my own, 50,100,150cc and reverse, quite easily, but online i rarely come first, anyhow, hopefully i may even get my copy before friday, this was how my order looked at game today:

Order status log

06/04/2008 12:06:09 Your order is currently being picked and packed.
06/04/2008 11:26:21 Your credit/ debit card has been authorised and your order is now being released for packing.
Funds will not be debited until your order is shipped.

Anyone played this yet? it was leaked online on Monday....

yeah ive seen it on a certain site tonight, 2 seeders, 2000+ leechers, game sent mine on tuesday morning, im hoping it could be here tomorrow.

Disgraceful. All they had to do was wait a couple of days and shell out £35 for it but they don't bother and just download it. Disgraceful :p lol. This coming from the guy who has a few Dreamcast games backed up. Damn I miss playing that machine.

ok, so it came today, a day early, and ive just played the 50cc mushroom cup with the wii wheel, and as i thought it would be, its brilliant, im especially suprised how well the wheel fairs up, really responsive, easy to use from the off, as good as i suppose i expected it to be, the first few tracks are average type of fair, apart from the last track on mushroom cup is a bit frantic, not tried over wifi yet, not sure if the servers are up until tomorrow, the only dissapointment so far is the blue shell power up still included which id rather it not have been but only a small criticism really, anyhow i'll be posting my friend code sometime tomorrow if anyones interested,

also,any free loader users, the update on the mario kart disc that you need to run before the wii will play it has no effect on free loader, i updated, then tried freeloader and a u.s. game with no problems.

@ganepark- i only have backups for my dc now, i sold all my originals, and it was the only way i could get games like cool cool toon, samba de amigo and tokyo bus guide, the only problem is i have no boot disc anymore (the one with 3d reindeer or somethin spinning round? utopia i think) and my dc is in the cellar.

Lame, I thought it came out today so drove miles to the nearest game store to pick it up only to be turned away. I'm working all weekend starting tomorrow, So I guess I won't have it till monday :(

Got my copy earlier today. Played it for a little while to get used to the Wii Wheel and did the mushroom cup on 50cc. Then took it online for a spin and I have to say this is where it shines. Can be quite frantic with 12 people but it's definitely the best online on the Wii.

My FC is: 4554-0093-7768
If you add me, tell me so I can add you.

Ah... this is better. Now I can type what I think about the game and it won't take so long because I'm not posting from my Wii.

Anyway, the game is good. Not great by any stretch of the imagination though. It is a little slow for my liking especially when comparing it to MKDS. The tracks I've played on so far look good but many just remain the same as previous editions, just changing a bit of scenery and the corners to make new tracks. The trick system is a nice inclusion but it's not really necessary to win a race by using it. I've managed fine online with very little use of it.

As I said, the online is where it shines. I've only played races online and haven't tried the battle mode, but if it's as bad online as it is offline, then it may well be awful. The main problem with the online is the items and how often you'll get red shell-spammed. In the course of a few seconds, I got nailed with 5 red shells... all from the same guy. And the blue shell appears far too much for my liking. The recovery for being hit with an item is ridiculous as well. Normally, you would just hit the accelerator and off you go. But so far, I've had to wait a few seconds after being hit before I can move again.

That said, it'll tide me over till Brawl manages to get an EU release date, but only just.

Does it require the wheel to play or can you play it with bare wiimote?

You can play it with the bare wiimote. Although I have found the Wii Wheel to be surprisingly good. It's got a whole load of control figurations. You can use just the wiimote, the wiimote and the nunchuk, the classic controller, a gamecube controller or the Wii Wheel.

I've tried a veriety of the available control methods, and I'm getting to like the wii wheel - a bit of a learning curve, but once you get used to it its great :)

whats peoples general thoughts about the game so far, to be honest i like it although its a bit easy, the wheel is brilliant, i think its better than double dash, about as good as mkds but not as good as the snes and n64 games. i got gamestm through the post this morning, they reviewed it and gave it 6/10, claiming it a dissapointment in 1 player mode but brilliant on wifi (which ive yet to try) my partner seems to have played it more than me so far, she generally didnt bother with any of the others but wanted a go because of the novelty value of the wheel, but like many of the wii releases so far i cant help feel that they're still aiming mainly at the 'non gamers'(i know that this was their main goal but they should still try and keep their already installed audience happy). im gonna give online a try later.

The single player is pretty much what you would expect from a mario kart game, but I bought it for the multiplayer and online (which is great) :)
For some reason I never liked double dash - never got into it.

Back