Caved and got the Mario red DSi XL special edition

second exodous

Advanced Member
I feel like a heel today as I ordered the 25th Mario Anniversary DSi XL after I did nothing but mock those that bought the XL. I'm without a DS right now as some time ago my nephew lost his DS so I let him BORROW mine. Tip for those with 9 year old nephews: NEVER LET A 9 YEAR OLD BORROW YOUR DS!!! He trashed it, found his, and I don't really want it back now. I also thought I'd have my Pandora soon after that so I let it go.

Anyway, I have a reason to get one as I'm without and it might be a while till I get my Pandora, probably February, so I thought what the heck. Also, since ordering the Pandora a few years ago I have not gotten any new electronics, every time I get interested in something I think 'My Pandora can do that might as well not throw away money.'

I'm glad I held out this long, looking at the unboxing videos I got interested. I like special edition stuff. It is also not in an 'old person' color, its red like Mario who is only 25 apparently.

Sorry, but Mario's first game was in 1981 :(
It wasn't a Mario game, it was a Donkey Kong one, moreover the hero was just called jumpman at the time.
wink.gif

The very first Mario branded game was the Mario Bros. arcade game in 1983 ;)

But the first "real" Mario platformer was Super Mario Bros. in 1985.

I think they've decided that it was the first appearance of Mario in his true incarnation.

And that way they can sell LOADS of "collectors" thingies…

That, to be honest, I would love owning
tongue.gif

But since I've found a cheap NES with some games (including Super Mario 1,2,3 and Zelda), I'll restrain my impulsive/compulsive buying troubles
biggrin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
It wasn't a Mario game, it was a Donkey Kong one, moreover the hero was just called jumpman at the time.
wink.gif
I'm pretty sure he was called Mario at the time of release (I know "Jumpman" was used prior to that) - if I'm remembering rightly, he was named after the landlord of the Nintendo of America offices at the time. The story behind Pauline's name is interesting, also (she was meant to be named after the wife of one of the American staff, whose name was Polly, but the name was misheard and it ended up as Pauline).

I think they've decided that it was the first appearance of Mario in his true incarnation.
The anniversary is officially the Super Mario Bros. 25th Anniversary, so I'm pretty sure that they haven't decided that. ;)

But since I've found a cheap NES with some games (including Super Mario 1,2,3 and Zelda), I'll restrain my impulsive/compulsive buying troubles
biggrin.gif
Pick up some Mega Man games! Pick up some Mega Man games! :D

@second.exodus - Might I recommend that you grab some Nintendo Points and purchase Aura-Aura Climber from the DSiWare store? It is ridiculously fun and addictive.

@ Exophase: I knew he was older that is why I said 'apparently'. I knew there were some Atrai games at the very least. However old he is he's younger than me :lol:

@ johnsongrantr: I was mainly just joking with 'old people' colors. You had to read my posts on the other forums. The Burgundy red is actually my favorite, I really like dark reds but Mario red is ok also.

@ Prometheus: I'll have to look into that. I'm not sure how DSi ware games work, do I get a few points with the DSi to purchase a game with? I'll have to keep Aura-Aura Climber in mind.

Overall I'm excited, watching the unboxing videos I could actually smell the new game system. Like I said I haven't gotten any electronics for a LONG time since I've been putting it off waiting for the Pandora so I thought it was ok to spoil myself. It also comes with Mario Kart, a game I didn't previously own. I might not open it though, keep it sealed and sell it in 10 years as the same nephew I'm talking about is getting a PSP for Christmas(shhh, don't tell anyone, it's a surprise) so I'm sure I can borrow his copy. I'll even take better care of it than he did my DS!

I'm pretty sure he was called Mario at the time of release (I know "Jumpman" was used prior to that) - if I'm remembering rightly, he was named after the landlord of the Nintendo of America offices at the time.

[…]
I don't know the origin of Mario's name.

From what I've read on internet there are various myths about it.

But I'm certain that he was called jumpman on the instruction stickers from the Donkey Kong arcade cabinet.

dkcpiu.jpg

The anniversary is officially the Super Mario Bros. 25th Anniversary, so I'm pretty sure that they haven't decided that. ;)
Eeek, in the french ads they only talk about Mario's 25th anniversary… not Super Mario Bros.

I've been tricked!
laugh.gif

Pick up some Mega Man games! Pick up some Mega Man games! :D
I will! I will!

But only when I'll get some money back, because for christmas, I offered myself the NES, a SNES, an ATARI2600 and some games.

And I still have to buy my girlfriend's gift… consequently I'm completely broke ATM
biggrin.gif

@ Prometheus: I'll have to look into that. I'm not sure how DSi ware games work, do I get a few points with the DSi to purchase a game with? I'll have to keep Aura-Aura Climber in mind.
That used to be the case, and it still was when I picked up my DSi about a year ago, but I'm not sure if it still is now. If you log on to the Shop Channel, and tap the "Start Shopping" button, you'll see if any points are available there.

I don't know the origin of Mario's name.

From what I've read on internet there are various myths about it.

But I'm certain that he was called jumpman on the instruction stickers from the Donkey Kong arcade cabinet.
It gets a mention on page three of this article. :) It seems that he was Jumpman on the Japanese cabinets. (Fun fact: There's a myth that he wasn't called Mario until some time after Donkey Kong became a smash hit! It's so widespread that even Nintendo themselves have repeated it on at least one official website, in times gone by.)

(Incidentally, I was slightly off in my recollection - it was the owner of the business park, not the landlord. His name was/is Mario Segale.)

Eeek, in the french ads they only talk about Mario's 25th anniversary… not Super Mario Bros.

I've been tricked!
laugh.gif
Really? How odd. :blink:

I will! I will!
Yay. :lol:

But the first "real" Mario platformer was Super Mario Bros. in 1985.

And that way they can sell LOADS of "collectors" thingies…

I THINK they decided that to give him another anniversary. .. yes, for the reason you said.

^ But they ignored DK's and Mario's 25th, and I fully expect their 30th (next year) to be ignored, as well. :( (Is it really like giving him "another" anniversary, when the more important one is continually overlooked? EDIT: Or am I just misreading you? :p )

I heard that the Wii release was extremely lazy and disappointing. It was literally the Super Mario All-Stars ROM (with an updated copyright) and an emulator. Not even the re-release that included Super Mario World. The bonus materials aren't anything special, either. NintendoLife's got a full article on the game.

I heard that the Wii release was extremely lazy and disappointing. It was literally the Super Mario All-Stars ROM (with an updated copyright) and an emulator. Not even the re-release that included Super Mario World. The bonus materials aren't anything special, either. NintendoLife's got a full article on the game.
All the unboxings I've watched it didn't include Super Mario All-Stars, it included the New Super Mario Brothers game.

It sounds to me like the reviewer is writing this review for someone who already owns a Wii and is trying to decide if they want to buy this one also. Ok, this is a great buy IF YOU DON'T ALREADY OWN A WII!! It apparently comes with two discs, New Super Mario Brothers and Super Mario All-Stars which it didn't have to since it already includes a Wii, the new remote, and the New Super Mario Brothers disc. I see nothing wrong with this set if you don't own a Wii. If you already own a Wii and are buying this you really need to lean to manage your money better.

My fav quote from the article:

However, as the saying goes, pride comes before a fall.
Holy crap Nintendo, if you don't rush out disc containing Super Mario World you're in danger of being bought up by Microsoft!!!!!

No anniversaries for earlier Mario games afterall huh. That's strange, and kinda a shame.

^ It seems to go hand-in-hand with the way they rarely acknowledge their arcade stuff. (I still really want those games to be released on the Virtual Console Arcade service, but at this point I'm guessing it isn't going to happen. :p )

^ Because I only emulate games I own, and would never dream of "simply downloading them". That's part of why I want them to be released on the Virtual Console Arcade service (the other part simply being to play them as-is on the Wii once purchased :p ).

As it is, I bought the NES versions instead, in the end - close enough will have to do.

Well, I should get it tomorrow. I was shipped to get it for Monday but UPS has pushed it through. Newegg even said it wouldn't get here time Monday. The estimated delivery date even changed on the tracking. I don't care what anyone says, I love UPS!

Right now it is an hour away from me sitting in the delivery center. I'd be upset but it is already 3 days early if it is delivered tomorrow. I bet I could call them and ask if I could go get it but there is a canyon that is pretty bad roads as it gets no sunlight but lots of snow so it is almost assured it is slick.

The morality of downloading roms depends on how you look at it, some choose to look at I as "stealing", but that is wrong it is only stealing, if you take something from somebody, I choose to look at it as sharing, because I get the rom, and he who gives it to me can still keep it. Sharing is supported by every major children's TV programme, and therefore must be good and should be legal.

Try to argue with that logic everybody.
But you're not sharing one item you're sharing copies of items. If you had the physical game and lent it to someone then that would be fine since you would no longer have it until you got it back. Heck, if you missed it enough you'd demand it back and then whoever was borrowing it would go out and buy their own therefore giving the creator money.

A lot of these games are out of print and hard to find. I also say if at all possible at least buy a remade copy and them emulate. If it is out of print and no re-releases exist then I download and use but find it is a slippery slope because once you justify that it isn't far from downloading games that are in print or have remakes. I spend a lot of money at gog.com and even steam for this reason. Unfortunately companies that made games for game systems still charge an arm and a leg for old games so it's expensive.

Back