The Nightmare That Gph Made Wiz...

Status
Not open for further replies.

glossywhite

Still Fresh
This console is very interesting, but *VERY* difficult to recover, should something go wrong (and it is TOO easy to make it go wrong!). GPH, I hold you accountable for the headaches that this console is causing me - goodness knows what I'd do if I *wasn't* a computer geek!!.

Nightmarish!!

Mr.TwisT said:
What happened? Tell us, so we don't make the same mistakes :)

Nightmare, and about TWO people know how to fix it...

Seriously guys, boycott GPH until they make something worthwhile - this is a silly device which hasn't the sense to realise that my SD card *didn't* have the recovery firmware on it, BEFORE erasing the flash, in preparation to restore it to defaults!!!!!.

I mean it guys - go out and buy a REAL console - this is just a hobby project mess, and I have spent SEVEN hours trying to follow fragmented piece-meal "guides" on how to build serial cables (WTF?!) and restore over u-boot. The Wiz really should NOT be this easy to brick... what a farce.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, obviously because you had problems everyone else should throw their Wiz systems that have worked great for them away. We should get REAL consoles that don't do what we want them to.

glossywhite said:
The Wiz really should NOT be this easy to brick... what a farce.
Easy to brick? You intentionally tried to flash a firmware image that wasn't there.

If you break your neck diving into an empty swimming pool, do you blame the company who made the diving board? Of course not. If you're not smart enough to check if there's water in the pool, then whatever happens is your own fault.

glossywhite said:

I thought you would have worked out the system software's badly designed already, given your previous experience. How did you manage to do that anyway? Pretty much every flashing program I've used requests the path of a firmware file.

Careful, I may have to call you butterfingers soon!

Chip said:
glossywhite said:
Easy to brick? You intentionally tried to flash a firmware image that wasn't there.

If you break your neck diving into an empty swimming pool, do you blame the company who made the diving board? Of course not. If you're not smart enough to check if there's water in the pool, then whatever happens is your own fault.

Oh of course - I intentionally tried to brick my Wiz... :rolleyes: I take it back... you're right. Yes it's great that I'm not smart enough to realise that the *CONSOLE* should verify existance of a replacement firmware image, before erasing its' current OS in flash, pre-emptively. Imagine that; a sensible implementation by GPH that actually prevents problems... I won't hold my breath.

If this were a developer's firmware version or a Beta, I'd accept that it could happen, but a retail release?. This is a joke.

Are you a fanboy?. I'm sure you're intelligent enough not to take that route.

I don't think anyone here is surprised to hear that GPH made some poor design choices, we are all aware of their reputation. This however, doesn't excuse you of your foolish mistakes. When used properly, the Wiz is a fantastic device, I'm sorry you cannot appreciate it like the rest of us.

Guys I threw a brick through my window and it completely smashed it! It didn't even ask if I really wanted to beforehand, it just shattered! When are window makers going to learn? I say we boycott windows until they solve these issues. What a farce.

Chip said:

Urrrhhh

Yeah, as someone who also bricked his Wiz I'm actually going to have to go with glossywhite on this. I don't know if I did anything wrong or not (I certainly did have the images on the SD) but GPH made several mistakes here. First of all, they probably should have avoided updating U-Boot at all costs. That should have been the point of having a 4MB boot NAND - you don't mess with it. Second, if the file is not there then yes, it should not have gone through with the automated upgrade procedure. Why are you people making excuses for what's an obvious design error?

I mean, what if the file got corrupted somehow? Is it your fault for not checking it against md5sums that to the best of my knowledge GPH doesn't even provide? When the procedure could have easily included verification like you would expect from any sane flash procedure (you'd also expect it to only work if there's enough charge, or plugged in). But yeah, I think an "is the file even there" check is the least it could do.

Exophase said:
Chip said:

Urrrhhh

Yeah, as someone who also bricked his Wiz I'm actually going to have to go with glossywhite on this. I don't know if I did anything wrong or not (I certainly did have the images on the SD) but GPH made several mistakes here. First of all, they probably should have avoided updating U-Boot at all costs. That should have been the point of having a 4MB boot NAND - you don't mess with it. Second, if the file is not there then yes, it should not have gone through with the automated upgrade procedure. Why are you people making excuses for what's an obvious design error?

I mean, what if the file got corrupted somehow? Is it your fault for not checking it against md5sums that to the best of my knowledge GPH doesn't even provide? When the procedure could have easily included verification like you would expect from any sane flash procedure (you'd also expect it to only work if there's enough charge, or plugged in). But yeah, I think an "is the file even there" check is the least it could do.

I'm so relieved that there are other lateral-thinking, logical people on this forum :) . This is an *extremely* stupid design, and I am wondering why people are defending the consoles SO much - it almost smells of fanboyism at its' worst extreme.

“To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer.” (Paul Ehrlich)

And to create a computer with a bootloader that *really* fouls things up, requires humans @ GPH. ;)

Another bricked Wiz here as well - Same issue as Exophase and Glossywhite, firmware disappeared into thin air.

The Wiz IMO is another hugely flawed GPH device which was rushed out too early for general release. Since mine went tits up, it's been back in the box and left.

Bought it, bricked it and now feel like binning it :angry:

I don't hope you thought you where going to get a flawless gaming device when you bought a Wiz. Cuss you won't. It's made by Korean people who don't know how to play games. I'm not saying Wiz sucks I'm just saying that some flaws is only what you can expect from a firm like GHP.

paldepind said:
I don't hope you thought you where going to get a flawless gaming device when you bought a Wiz. Cuss you won't. It's made by Korean people who don't know how to play games. I'm not saying Wiz sucks I'm just saying that some flaws is only what you can expect from a firm like GHP.

Uhmm what?

glossywhite said:
paldepind said:

Uhmm what?
Don't you understand what I'm trying to say? If not, it is because of my lacking english.. What I mean is that on a device like this flaws is only what you would expect.

I ***NEVER*** "hurl direct, personal insults at strangers". I read your previous highly biased posts, and came to a conclusion about you as a person based on them. You seem to have a fervently anti-wiz stance rooted in hysteria simply because you require instant gratification from a device designed for people who are willing to invest a little time. The whole wiz comunity does not revolve around you, some of us including myself have had issues, but on the whole we are here to help benefit others with our insights and discoveries concerning the device. You don't do this, you simply get frustrated by being too inadequate to use a device designed for the more mature hobbyist, then freak out with "IT'S A PIECE OF SHIT 'CAUSE I CAN'T USE IT PROPERLY" type statements. Everyone should be aware that flashing firmware is risky unless you know what you are doing and are well prepared. Because you don't think before you act, (or type) you hastily bricked your Wiz. Now that you have wrecked it I hope you will bugger off as I'm sick and tired of your selfish pissing and moaning.

Being as you think this device is so appalling, I can't see why you'd bother wasting your time trying to fix it, but if you want help from people who have invested a lot of their time and effort on this device ask for it without slating what you clearly don't understand and be thankful if they oblige.

@TitanUranus 100% acknowledge.

@glossywhite

Perhaps I fall under you "fan boy" category, but: I flashed my Wiz at least 30 times with various firmwares and SD cards without problems. But of course it's possible that I was born under a lucky star. On the other side: Perhaps I'm able to read the manual and to use my brain.

I really don't know what's the reason for this thread: To start a flame war and call everybody a fan-boy who doesn't share your opinion?
Congrats, you succeeded...

Mods, please close this thread. This is going nowhere...

TitanUranus said:
I ***NEVER*** "hurl direct, personal insults at strangers". I read your previous highly biased posts, and came to a conclusion about you as a person based on them. You seem to have a fervently anti-wiz stance rooted in hysteria simply because you require instant gratification from a device designed for people who are willing to invest a little time. The whole wiz comunity does not revolve around you, some of us including myself have had issues, but on the whole we are here to help benefit others with our insights and discoveries concerning the device. You don't do this, you simply get frustrated by being too inadequate to use a device designed for the more mature hobbyist, then freak out with "IT'S A PIECE OF SHIT 'CAUSE I CAN'T USE IT PROPERLY" type statements. Everyone should be aware that flashing firmware is risky unless you know what you are doing and are well prepared. Because you don't think before you act, (or type) you hastily bricked your Wiz. Now that you have wrecked it I hope you will bugger off as I'm sick and tired of your selfish pissing and moaning.

Being as you think this device is so appalling, I can't see why you'd bother wasting your time trying to fix it, but if you want help from people who have invested a lot of their time and effort on this device ask for it without slating what you clearly don't understand and be thankful if they oblige.

Didn't you learn from your last warning?. You came to an assumption about me as a person, based upon forums posts?!. That is crazily naive and closed-minded of you. Reported (again).

DurTahar said:
This topic has no purpose.

Sure it does: always triple check your SD cards before starting the flash procedure ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back