Why So Little Interest In The Wiz?

geise69

Looking at this forum there is very little talk about the new "upgrade" device from GPH. Go over the the Pandora forum and there's at least 15 topics that have posts for today. I was just wondering why there is so little interest "on a gp32/2x forum for the Wiz. Are there that many people that are disowning GPH and going for the Pandora? With a new gp2x device being out this month I would have thought there would be at least a couple topics going on every few days. However, it's kind of dead. Just wanting to know why there's so little interest, or is it the fact that most are waiting for reviews? At least there are "final" pictures and a release date, plus some nice videos of a couple homebrew games. Any thoughts?...

Can't speak for anyone else, but I for one am dropping GPH like a hot coal due to their god-awful previous effort, the GP2X. I spent more time on that thing wishing that they'd fix this and that than I did enjoying the games. Their attitude to their audience was abysmal.

I've no doubt that the Wiz will be a lovely little piece of kit in theory, but it's inevitable that GPH have seriously fucked it up in many ways - it's what they do. Ironically, I've put my faith in a console that's not even been built yet - that's how much trust I have in GPH and the Wiz.

GPH track record. With how the GP2X turned out, can't put much faith in the Wiz. To think that they were going to put 2 dpads before ED put some sense into them. Plus, I consider the Wiz more of a GP2X F300.

Biggest issue for me is the lack of Wifi.

I have a GP2X F200 and the Wiz, while 3 times faster, only feels like an incremental upgrade.

Because the Pandora is a console built by the community for the community.
GP/GPH have proven that while they make good consoles, they do have quite a few flaws and missing features. So the Pandora steps in, designed to have mostly everything that you could need in a handheld console, giving developers lots of power and features to play with, and end users lots of functionality.

Trevor Bradley said:
Biggest issue for me is the lack of Wifi.

I have a GP2X F200 and the Wiz, while 3 times faster, only feels like an incremental upgrade.

chris_r said:
Because the Pandora is a console built by the community for the community.
GP/GPH have proven that while they make good consoles, they do have quite a few flaws and missing features. So the Pandora steps in, designed to have mostly everything that you could need in a handheld console, giving developers lots of power and features to play with, and end users lots of functionality.

I totally agree with you two, seems that GPH does not listen to what the end users are crying out for in a modern day handheld console! :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
I am going to step up in defence of the Wiz as one of the devs who actually own one:
I think GPH are really sorry you feel that way and I also understand the feelings about the joystick and then the upgraded d-pad F200 that had other problems, but...

The Wiz has addressed a lot of things and is a totally new device. Can I say from the up that the Wiz is not in direct competition with the Pandora as it has a totally different market strategy. The Pandora is really aimed at the UMPC Market while the Wiz is more aimed at the NDS PSP market.

I am guessing the little interest is because the Pandora is such an interesting project, and there is a lot of buz about it especially since the credit card and screen issue plus the fact that is really will be the ultimate handheld device. But that is not what the Wiz is about.

As an owner of a Wiz I can say I am enjoying it a LOT, it's small, little bigger than my mobile phone and very light and about the screen, besides some people banging on about it will be terrible because it's so small, it is actually awesome. I love playing this device and OLED really does make such a difference! It's soo bright and I can play games perfectly just about everywhere which was a huge problem with my GP32, PSP and GP2X. I am sorry but for me TFT doesn't cut the mustard in the places I usually use a portable console, which is on the bus, waiting for a train etc etc. I want something I can see when I need it.

Unless the Pandora can rival the screen I am going to have problems as no matter how big or high the resolution is, if you cannot see it in the places you need to use it, then what's the point? I mean it's a portable not a laptop! and the Wiz has the upper edge when it comes to viewing angle and viewability. Plus the fact the Wiz is actually more powerful than a PSP so that is also a message to other devs out there.

Unfathomable Depths said:
Too little, too late IMO

I love my GP2X but I want a 3D chip to play with not a well lit screen.
Er the Wiz has a 3D chip, did you miss the memo? Remember about the better than PSP thing?

I'm excited about the Wiz, and am actively preparing for it's release. I'm sure others are too.

I know that there is a private Wiz forum, but this place really needs a public forum for the Wiz. It doesn't feel right making Wiz specific posts in the GP2X specific forums.

WarmFluffyUK said:
Missed that. Could you link me to the specs?
Specs are THERE I guess.

Yea, I seen that. It says '3D Accelerator'. Sounds promising :)

I have fired off an email to GPH requesting more info, it will be tomorrow before I get a response because of the time difference. Maybe Peter can chip in with his vast knowledge before I get it...

Im just jealous they didn't send me one :lol:

Looking forward to porting without a test machine - be an adventure
ll I am sure if you have something to contribute, GPH will be happy to give you a test machine as a gift.

WarmFluffyUK said:

ll I am sure if you have something to contribute, GPH will be happy to give you a test machine as a gift.

:lol: Touché

I've no time to answer inane questions on a messageboard ;)

WarmFluffyUK said:

:lol: Touché

I've no time to answer inane questions on a messageboard ;)

PM me then. Don't sell yourself short here, if you really have something to contribute, then please by all means let us know as you never know where things will lead you. You could be contributing not only to the userbase, but to the testing of the current firmware!

Back