The New Forum Look

Yea or Nay?

• Yea.

Votes: 61 53.0%
  • Nay.

Votes: 54 47.0%

• Total voters

Two things, first the voting. Maybe we could try to have some voting standard that we suggest people use here. I was thinking that you should vote a comment up if a comment adds to the discussion, and vote down if it detracts from it. If you don't agree with someone, just don't vote on it, or vote it up if they make a good point and reply.

Second thing is the search results. They stink. When you search for a user's posts, or any sort of search, it comes back with a lot of garbage and a single line of text from that post. If you want to view the whole post, you need to navigate to that other thread to look at it. Very annoying.

emil10001 said:
Two things, first the voting. Maybe we could try to have some voting standard that we suggest people use here. I was thinking that you should vote a comment up if a comment adds to the discussion, and vote down if it detracts from it. If you don't agree with someone, just don't vote on it, or vote it up if they make a good point and reply.

Nice idea, but I think ultimately it's just a waste of clicks. Unless you actually cared about your numerical "Reputation", or found it amusing. I could see PoisonedV or quasist trying to compete for the largest negative number.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a nice feature of news aggregate sites like reddit and digg because it allows people to quickly find and read the important bits of the thread while ignoring the noise. I think that it's a useful feature within a thread, not necessarily in terms of building a numerical reputation. However, if people vote up/down based on agree/disagree, then it is not a useful feature, because people who have something to add, but that people don't agree with will be voted down.

quartercast said:
emil10001 said:

Nice idea, but I think ultimately it's just a waste of clicks. Unless you actually cared about your numerical "Reputation", or found it amusing. I could see PoisonedV or quasist trying to compete for the largest negative number.
I've got them beat on that account, don't worry.

(naw)mcx said:

Dude, how have you managed to get that many negative votes already?

dflemstr said:
Miknal said:
(naw)mcx said:

Let's all vote him up, shall we? Find all his posts and ++ them all.
No, my only claim to fame!
(mind you I got quite near to Bruce Forsythe once.)

(naw)mcx said:
dflemstr said:
Miknal said:
(naw)mcx said:

Aww, I had made a script that was ½ finished already :(

dflemstr said:
(naw)mcx said:
dflemstr said:
Miknal said:
(naw)mcx said:

Finish, and we could have stupidly large Rep, mind you. :D

(naw)mcx said:
dflemstr said:
(naw)mcx said:
dflemstr said:
Miknal said:
(naw)mcx said:

...had being the operative word, of course. I rm'ed it as soon as I got your response.

BTW nice quote pyramid -.-

WhiteBat said:
(naw)mcx said:
dflemstr said:
(naw)mcx said:
dflemstr said:
Miknal said:
(naw)mcx said:

...had being the operative word, of course. I rm'ed it as soon as I got your response.

BTW nice quote pyramid -.-
[/quote]

I'd like to add that Exophase is not crazy. "Show New Content" does not seem to care if a thread you posted in has had replies, it does not show you any thread that you've so much as perused. It's... useless. Not at all analogous to "Show Unread Posts" from the old board. It appears to only show threads that you haven't read yet, not posts.

To combat this uselessness I've turned on the feature in my settings that automatically subscribes me to any thread that I post in. It shows those threads on the First Page in the lower right corner... Still far less than efficient.

There have been numerous bug reports made on IPB's knowledgebase complaining that "Show New Content" doesn't work as expected, only to be closed immediate with "Show New Content" works as expected, live with it. Hopefully someone posts up a mod or plugin that adds a link to "View Unread Posts" like before, because "Show New Content" does not work like [Average End User] expects it to.

nah(mcx), Amazingly, I'm getting negative votes and negative rep quite easily.

The theory that I may propose (and get negative votes for) is those people who are down voting comments forgot their two marbles and their pet snake a long time ago.

I could be wrong.

Now this following will get alot of negative down votes and possibly create a flame war.

AmigaAnywhere r0ckz!

True, back to more meaningful conversation. I posted it for fun not to troll and proves my point when some people just are too reactive to things and needs to grow up.

It is obvious that this Reputation meter things is more for comedy so don't take it too seriously.

Back