Yea or Nay?

• Yea.

Votes: 61 53.0%
  • Nay.

Votes: 54 47.0%

• Total voters

axenzoku

Still Fresh
:blink: Seriously, the forum looks completely awesome now. Actually, it's better than the "new" forum now. Nice work.

axenzoku said:
:blink: Seriously, the forum looks completely awesome now. Actually, it's better than the "new" forum now. Nice work.
I like anything that uses AJAX. The forum still has some unintuitive issues, and the layout has grown to be a little less "screen real-estate efficient", but the fact that the forum uses semi-modern technologies that enables us to do in-place edits and mark forums as read without reloading the page; such things weigh up the bad stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
its nice but very defult invision board, i hope they mod it with different colours when someone has the time, not too much a fan of streached designs.

There weren't really any problems with the old one, and now it's noticeably harder to read at 800 by 480.
And it still doesn't have the "First unread post" like the xkcd forums do. They're phpBB, though. Maybe Invision doesn't have that? Or it costs extra?

lulzfish said:
There weren't really any problems with the old one, and now it's noticeably harder to read at 800 by 480.
And it still doesn't have the "First unread post" like the xkcd forums do. They're phpBB, though. Maybe Invision doesn't have that? Or it costs extra?
Yes it does ...
new_post.png
on the left of the topic title, when there have been new posts.

gp32rich said:
lulzfish said:
Yes it does ...
new_post.png

I'm saving this mini-quote pyramid for an upcoming rant about how icons are being abused in UI design, in places where text would make MUCH more sense.

dflemstr said:
I like anything that uses AJAX.
I like anything that works reliably and that is intuitive to use. Should this require the use of a certain technology, I'm fine with it :)

Now don't get me wrong here. I don't LOVE the forum layout here and would much prefer to have something SMF-based, for instance (That's why I made the SpaceRTS forum use SMF); I just don't think that this forum is that bad

lulzfish said:
gp32rich said:
lulzfish said:
Yes it does ...
new_post.png
I'm saving this mini-quote pyramid for an upcoming rant about how icons are being abused in UI design, in places where text would make MUCH more sense.
It has been this way with VB from v2, so your complaint is a bit late :/
And phpBB do it too
icon_newest_reply.gif
(this from http://forum.openhandhelds.org/)

Just because you din't spot 'em don't make 'em bad :p

gp32rich said:
lulzfish said:
gp32rich said:
lulzfish said:
Yes it does ...
new_post.png
It has been this way with VB from v2, so your complaint is a bit late :/
And phpBB do it too
icon_newest_reply.gif
(this from http://forum.openhandhelds.org/)

Just because you din't spot 'em don't make 'em bad :p
Also, icons that are very descriptive are a good alternative to text; maybe their function isn't clear at first, in which case the designer is a bad one, but after you have learned what they do and gotten used to them, it's much easier to visually scan for an icon than it is to read through some text, no matter how short it is.

And here's a "Refresh page" icon next to the "Add Reply" text.
Oh thanks... I was wondering where the add reply button went. Clearly it's the refresh icon here, and the descriptive caption is... for people who are blind to icons, like me?
Thanks.

Maybe they added a text label only for that button because they knew that the icon was too undescriptive?
BTW you destroyed the quote pyramid :(

Oh, and who has noticed the "post rating" buttons? What do you think about it? Is it OK that people now are able to rate your posts à la Digg?

dflemstr said:
Maybe they added a text label only for that button because they knew that the icon was too undescriptive?
BTW you destroyed the quote pyramid :(

Oh, and who has noticed the "post rating" buttons? What do you think about it? Is it OK that people now are able to rate your posts à la Digg?

It's better than a zillion replies saying "+1" :p

I like the new look, but I can't seem to find Lo-Fi mode anymore. Am I just being dense?
I browse on my mobile phone a lot so I really need lo-fi mode if I don't want to wait for ages for every page to load.

The new scheme looks fucking depressing, this is a forum for gamers not some corporate support site for a stapler manufacturer. All the text is the same size, giving the site a distinct lack of hierarchy. There's virtually no contrast in any of the colours, it just looks boring. I like design of the old, old site 100x better.

Squidge said:
relax, there will be skins along shortly, then you'll be able to choose your favourite.
A darker Skin would be indeed a nice fit for my taste, blue is also great for this but at the moment, the nearly white Board appearence is very eye-torturing

Back