The nD

Off topic, but more on the NJ Pocket (in another nD thread):

http://boards.dingoonity.org/other-game-systems/the-nd-someone%27s-got-the-right-idea!/msg32015/#msg32015

If correct this means that the flash really isn't 128MB. 32MB fits what I found for one google hit on the part number. And according to this, the NJ Pocket's SoC is using a 6502 (!!) with 8KB of RAM and 4KB of VRAM. This is of course with a console-like 2D GPU, which is probably the most cost and energy effective way to get tolerable quality games on it. I think that the flash may actually be NOR, which would allow it direct addressing, so it may be DMAing straight from it to the VRAM to get the framebuffer-style graphics in the still shots.

Comparing the price of something like this to a traditional handheld built around a generic ARM9 SoC with 32MB of memory is quite silly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Off topic, but more on the NJ Pocket (in another nD thread):

http://boards.dingoonity.org/other-game-systems/the-nd-someone%27s-got-the-right-idea!/msg32015/#msg32015

If correct this means that the flash really isn't 128MB. 32MB fits what I found for one google hit on the part number. And according to this, the NJ Pocket's SoC is using a 6502 (!!) with 8KB of RAM and 4KB of VRAM. This is of course with a console-like 2D GPU, which is probably the most cost and energy effective way to get tolerable quality games on it. I think that the flash may actually be NOR, which would allow it direct addressing, so it may be DMAing straight from it to the VRAM to get the framebuffer-style graphics in the still shots.

Comparing the price of something like this to a traditional handheld built around a generic ARM9 SoC with 32MB of memory is quite silly.

Like we suspected, it's just using the NAND like older consoles (GB, SMS etc.) used cartridges, porting modern games to it would be near impossible without huge amounts of recoding (if at all).

So this would be utterly useless to the nD plan, and since this is the only handheld in that price bracket he referenced when he banned me, shows that the $20 price point he wants is impossible.

I still stand by my calculations and say the Dingoo (and clones) are as cheap as you will ever get such a console and he should just rebrand the dingoo board which you can buy unbranded from dozens of Chinese sources.

And according to this, the NJ Pocket's SoC is using a 6502 (!!) with 8KB of RAM and 4KB of VRAM. This is of course with a console-like 2D GPU, which is probably the most cost and energy effective way to get tolerable quality games on it.
I've been doing some reading about Nanjing and their software (both in-house and commissioned), and I think I know what the NJ Pocket's SoC is.

It looks and sounds like it's a VT03 - a version of some modified, backwards-compatible Famiclone hardware (called the "OneBus", which combines the CHR and PRG banks) which can handle more colours per tile.

My money is on VT168 (the dingoonity post says VT1682, I'm guessing a variant), which at least has a bitmapped mode. You can see from youtube videos of NJ Pocket games that they're probably not 100% limited to tiles.

This also explains why some of the other uber cheap consoles can play NES games. They're not emulator ports at all, but actual enhanced clones..

Back