The Nd

foxblock

Asleep
You remember bob's game? The one-man-against-the-world project which never really got anywhere.
Well actually the creator, Robert Pelloni, released a demo some time ago - you will have trouble finding it on the web, so I put it here: Download

Now he is back with the nD - a ultra-cheap indie gaming console/handheld for the masses.
It is supposed to only cost $10-$20 dollars (as it will be sold at cost!), which apparently is achieved by using really old hardware components (like in the Pandora - nah, I am kidding, even older ;) ).
His vision is to create a full eco-system of games (like the Apple AppStore) on a handheld everyone can buy - to counter the overpriced devices you currently find on the market.
The nD is supposed to run 16-bit games of 320x240 resolution made in SDL, but as it will be so cheap hardware and software iterations "can be done easily".

Oh and: It has BUTTONS!...

You can find more info about this crazy plan on the website

So what do you think? Ingenious idea which will change the market, just another niche device or just a crazy fantasy which will never see the light of day?

Shamelessly copied from the Pandora Forums, but I thought some people might be interested over here, too (and the post was written from a neutral pov).
Especially as he declares the DINGOO and CAANOO development scene dead (further down the homepage), which the one for this, unreleased, device is apparently "active".

So yeah, what do you think about that?

To be honest, I have no Idea what I should think about this. :blink:
I know the Story around Bob and his game But I never got the Idea what it was all about, actualy. This guy is somehow weird. However, doing a real Handheld is an impressive task like we all know. But why didn´t he choosen an existing plattform, there are many China Handhelds AND our beloved Pandora.
The Price for this cheap Handheld is really impressive, I wonder how he did it, the case alone costs a fortune to make, unless he has taken an existing one. ^^

Let's watch how this develops.

Edit: I see, you are already involved in this Project, Fox. Not bad. ;)

fusion_power said:
Edit: I see, you are already involved in this Project, Fox. Not bad. ;)
Well, "involved" is an exaggeration, I just pledged to port my game once and if the nD is released as that would be a 5 minute job.
If he manages to pull it off this could be a game-changer indie developers should support, if he does not manage to make it a reality it's no real loss for me.

I would never start a project just with the intention of bringing it to a platform which does not exist yet - well okay did that with the Pandora, but there I was right! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Never going to happen, crazy fantasy. Millions of projects like this sprout up, but very few end up turning into anything, and even fewer end up coming in under budget.

Goity said:
Never going to happen, crazy fantasy. Millions of projects like this sprout up, but very few end up turning into anything, and even fewer end up coming in under budget.

Aww, c'mon! This is much more do-able than something like the Pandora (which seems largely stalled at this point), and if it does fail, so what? Things like this should be supported and encouraged IMHO :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I always thought bobs game was an elaborate troll.

Still if their serious about doing this I'd probably buy for the sheer novelty of it. It's not a terrible idea.

it's not possible sell a console with 20$..
IMO its a big fakement:
take the donation and run away..

IF they release a real Video of prototype, i can strart to belive.

edit: WTF? name and desing copied: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/nj-pocket-2-5-tft-lcd-portable-game-console-with-tv-out-and-built-in-games-3-x-aaa-65514
-.-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyKgaeTNZOc

If you watch it, you can see the diagonal tearing =D.
So there is some small chance that is running on you know what.

Back