The Most Horrible Games Of All Time!

Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude. The funny thing is they falsely advertised the main character has something like 10000 recorded quotes, but he actually say the same thing over and over.

Also FFVIII, because the player is forced to read the main character's mind in which the dialog is written by a 9 years old.

second exodous said:
xnopasaranx said:
Zeviant said:
Super Mario Bros 2 (Jap version)
About SMB2: This is actually not a Mario title originally which a lot of people do not know. There was a game for the famicom called yume kojo: doki doki panic which nintendo rereleased for some reason as smb2 after replacing a couple of sprites. While it really doesn't have anything at all to do with the Mario series I always liked to play it.
I think Zeviant might mean why he said, the SMB2 Japan release, it basically re-uses all the sprites from the first one and makes the levels insanely hard. I don't think Nintendo realized at the time that Mario was going to be there mascot for eternity so they didn't even try to make a second Super Mario Bros., just re-hash the first one. They made that mistake, people in Japan hated it, so they took a another popular Japanese game, Doki Doki, and switch the sprites with the Mario characters for the western version.

In the end I think the western release of SMB2 was much much better than the Japanese release, you can play it on the SNES Super Mario All Stars as 'the lost levels'. Horrible horrible game, does not do justice to Mario at all.

Yeah I know, I corrected myself the same day I posted that. Check the end of my post, I just didn't read zeviants post carefully enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
Com64 said:
Hard Drivin for the Sega Genesis (Megadrive outside US/Canada)

Away from the arcade I actually thought that was by far the best version of Hard Drivin! You should try the Lynx version...

john

second exodous said:
In the end I think the western release of SMB2 was much much better than the Japanese release, you can play it on the SNES Super Mario All Stars as 'the lost levels'. Horrible horrible game, does not do justice to Mario at all.
I liked it. It's more of the same goodness that Super Mario Bros was.

Reo said:
I liked it. It's more of the same goodness that Super Mario Bros was.

I'm a fan of SMB2 (real version, not Doki Doki Panic) as well. In some ways it plays more like a rom hack of SMB1 than a true sequel, but a very well done ROM hack. The levels feel much more carefully engineered and the game is substantially longer. The Allstars version doesn't show it, but the original FDS version had better graphics than SMB1 too. There aren't that many additions to the game engine, but what's there works well (wind, high trampolines), and it mixes stuff around a lot by moving enemies outside of their normal environments. Probably my biggest complaint is the lack of new music.

If people detest this game but like SMB1 then it's probably because it's so incredibly difficult and cheap. Very challenging game. The Allstars version is much easier since you can infinitely restart per-level, instead of per-world like the original. You will get pretty sick of replaying some levels.

By no means did the people of Japan hate SMB2, given that it was the best-selling FDS game by far. That means it not only outsold Doki Doki Panic there, but also both Zelda titles and Metroid. Nintendo just deemed that the game would be too difficult for the American audience. Incidentally, a lot of games released in America were actually harder than their Japanese counterpart, but this was more because game rentals are allowed in the US and companies wanted to discourage them.

finty said:
About 65% of the PSone Library.

One example of a crappy PSone game would have to be Crash Team Racing.

CTR was better than most of the mario karts, excluding Mario Kart WII. I liked it alot. A sh!tty game for the PSOne would have to be that Spyro game with the Dragonflies. Too glitchy to be playable

I'm going to have to say Tomb Raider for the DC. I got stuck in a pit, spent 2 hours trying to get out of it, looked it up online, still didn't work, tore the disk in half. That about fixed it.

4LPH4 W0LF said:
finty said:

CTR was better than most of the mario karts, excluding Mario Kart WII. I liked it alot. A sh!tty game for the PSOne would have to be that Spyro game with the Dragonflies. Too glitchy to be playable
What? The PS1 Spyros were quite well renowned for being not glitchy, in a time when many games were

Goity said:
4LPH4 W0LF said:
finty said:

What? The PS1 Spyros were quite well renowned for being not glitchy, in a time when many games were

He must have had a scratched disc... I have all three Spyro games for the PS and I haven't ever seen any glitches.

The PSX spyro games were freakin' sweet. Every other Spyro game has sucked in comparison.

EDIT: To get back on topic, the GBA Pacman collection sucks real bad.

sold said:
The PSX spyro games were freakin' sweet. Every other Spyro game has sucked in comparison.

EDIT: To get back on topic, the GBA Pacman collection sucks real bad.

you know what's even worse? Atari 2600 Pacman! So hard to maneuver in that game.

Heavy Rain.

Very little actual gameplay in this "game", and the little there is is rather frustrating due to shitty controls and camera. Took it out of the PS3 in disgust about half way through and put it on the shelf. Also buggy - it froze up on me several times.

It's a shame really, because I rather liked the atmosphere and story.

688 attack sub for SEGA Mega Drive.

my dad bought it years ago and I still don't even know how to play it :S

Back