The Minigame Project V1.1e

I never got to see the 8 bit version (actually I might have an older version but the new version came out before I installed it) but the 16 bit version looks great!

If I had one gripe its that I can bounce and still get killed if I hit the edge of an enemy the wrong way, but overall I'd still go back and play it again.

Quiest posted on Aug 29 2005 at 10:24 PM said:
Oh, and which one is better, the 8bit (old) version of Marios Combo Bounce or the 16 bit version?
the 16 bit version looks far better :)
but the bouncing seems bugged again, can't you restrict the collision detection to only tge ground and maybe a few pixels above, i hate bounding of a mushroom perfectly and stil dying :s

Last edited by a moderator:
Horscht posted on Aug 29 2005 at 11:41 PM said:
16 bit. But the game selection icon is still 8 bit ;)

That`s on purpose ;) :)

Alpha2 posted on Aug 30 2005 at 12:08 AM said:
I never got to see the 8 bit version (actually I might have an older version but the new version came out before I installed it) but the 16 bit version looks great!

If I had one gripe its that I can bounce and still get killed if I hit the edge of an enemy the wrong way, but overall I'd still go back and play it again.

Look at the screen shot :D

And I`m already trying to get rid of that clipping through problem...

i've played it some more now:
remarks:
mario: the scores from the previous version aren't removed (i don't think i'll improove my 1.3 million soon....)
also the bouncing sometimes is bugged, sometimes when i play it behaves perfectly, other times mario seems to go way lower when he bounces, and i often get killed just bouncing off a mushroom, perhaps check your bounce code for something that isn't tha same every time you run the program, i find it really strange....

targetslide: i preferred the old speed of the powerbar, more challenging, and had a lot more feeling, i set a better highscore with current speed (about 36k i think), but it's far easier :s, don't like the change
also there's a little problem in there (has been in there since it was first inserted): if you aim a tiny bit to the right, the block will perfectly slide where you aim, if you slide a tiny bit to the left the block will drift pretty far to the left.... whenever you aim left there seems to be a serious drift to the left. i don't really mind, it's nice, but make it symmetrical at least, so aiming to the left and right are the same :), it's strange as it is now... (or make a constant drift to the left, that's also an improovement, cause right now there is no way to aim a tiny bit to the left!)

extender: thanx for the visibility of everything now, and i did a 4.8 million today, i'm gonna beat the 5.3 one day :D (and i had a new record in quicken i think: 19 :D )

the new game: make the explosions move faster, the ships simply outrun them way to easily, don't really like that....

bumblebee: how about adding some predictability? making new balls only drop x pixels left/right from the previous one, i think it would add a lot of tactics and fun to the game, as you can more or less predict where the next one will (well, rather won't) come, and you can decide to take risks :)

that's about all i gotta say right now :)

Racemaniac posted on Aug 30 2005 at 11:43 AM said:
targetslide: i preferred the old speed of the powerbar, more challenging, and had a lot more feeling, i set a better highscore with current speed (about 36k i think), but it's far easier :s, don't like the change

to proove my point: new highscore: 71350 i think, when i hit 40k i still had 10 shots to go, with a low of 8 shots to go or so...
it's become pretty boring and far too easy....

Question about Edge fighter:
Exactly what causes your shield to go down because I was getting hit by shots left and right and noticed no effect... other than the -5, and I barly noticed that because the black number is so ard to see against the dark blue BG... maybe you could lighten that number up a little?

Racemaniac posted on Aug 30 2005 at 12:43 PM said:
mario: the scores from the previous version aren't removed (i don't think i'll improove my 1.3 million soon....)
Erm, that`s why I added the delete single scores feature in the main menu, if you had read my first post or the readme, you could have known that you get lower points from golden goombas and therefor it is recommended to delete the old Mario score... ;)

Racemaniac posted on Aug 30 2005 at 04:07 PM said:
Racemaniac posted on Aug 30 2005 at 11:43 AM said:

to proove my point: new highscore: 71350 i think, when i hit 40k i still had 10 shots to go, with a low of 8 shots to go or so...
it's become pretty boring and far too easy....
Okay, I also think that after some more playing, I make it a little faster for next release again :D

Alpha2 posted on Aug 30 2005 at 08:16 PM said:
Question about Edge fighter:
Exactly what causes your shield to go down because I was getting hit by shots left and right and noticed no effect... other than the -5, and I barly noticed that because the black number is so ard to see against the dark blue BG... maybe you could lighten that number up a little?
After reading the readme, you maybe know that you can activate that shield by pressing select. After the percent is down to zero, it needs to charge up to 100% so you can use it again ;)

Strange I never saw any shield when I hit select. And I pretty much used every button with every game.

I started playing them on the go without having the benefit of reading the readme, and figured them all out as I played so experimenting my first task with each game.

EDIT:
Okay I gues I must not have hit the button hard enough. it took two presses before the shield activated.

Quiest posted on Aug 30 2005 at 09:40 PM said:
Just wanted to say, your SELECT button is damaged ;) :D
:D
and indeed, i should use the score erase option (dumb of me not to read it ^^ )

have you given thought to my other suggestions?

btw, in edgefighter there's still an issue with the deducted seconds that are shown, i can only see them when the number is above my spacecraft...
another issue with edgefighter (possibly intended) is that when fireing, your craft doesn't rotate. i really hate it because my A button is worn and makes contact with the slightest touch ^^, not so easy to use it so precise that i can easily rotate my craft and fire directly after turning it ^^, can't you just let it turn when firing (or better: when firing with b you can turn while firing, when with A you can't :) )

I think that was intended because you have rapid fire when you hold down the botton, you can keep fireing in one position while moving rather than having to repoint your ship if you miss the first shot.

Alpha2 posted on Aug 30 2005 at 09:54 PM said:
I think that was intended because you have rapid fire when you hold down the botton, you can keep fireing in one position while moving rather than having to repoint your ship if you miss the first shot.
i know, but it's inconvenient in other situations, giving 2 fire buttons, one that does let you rotate and one that doesn't would be a good idea :)

Thanks, Alpha2, that`s what the B button is for ;) You could have get that info from the readme, too :D

Now don`t tell me its broken :D

And I knew, I had forgotten to brighten something, will do it for next version :D

Bumble stays like it is now, I like it that way, and I will surely improve Shmupster :)
And I really don`t know why that strange sliding is happening in Target Slide... it must be a bug with the advance() command, I have to see, if I can do something about that.

Quiest posted on Aug 30 2005 at 10:28 PM said:
Thanks, Alpha2, that`s what the B button is for ;) You could have get that info from the readme, too :D

Now don`t tell me its broken :D

And I knew, I had forgotten to brighten something, will do it for next version :D

Bumble stays like it is now, I like it that way, and I will surely improve Shmupster :)
And I really don`t know why that strange sliding is happening in Target Slide... it must be a bug with the advance() command, I have to see, if I can do something about that.
hmm, my A button is super sensitive, so i might indeed not be pressing the b button hard enough (well, the a button, you don't press it, you touch it ^^ )

Quiest posted on Aug 31 2005 at 11:01 AM said:
Mmmmh, touch control! :D
the problem is that sometimes you don't even have to touch it ^^ (hmmm, telepathic control :D )
or sometimes it doesn't respond well ^^

Back