The Lost Pnd Thread

Who would want Angry Birds anyway? I can write you a three page essay on why that game is crap (and why everybody seems to love it still) :p

@dgame - Do you really not get the point? Really? You can see what the search is for, you can see where the result that you are all but posting the link to is... Do you not see the parallel between copyright infringing files referred to by one acronym but not another?

:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Who would want Angry Birds anyway? I can write you a three page essay on why that game is crap (and why everybody seems to love it still) :p
But it is still a funny game and a very polished one too, impressive performance for a fast and (maybe) unoptimized port, what was actualy the trick I would like to know. It is not that great to play on the Pandora Touchscreen compared to the smartphone versions, at least not with Hotfix 6, but since hotfix 7 offers more "smooth" touchscreen controlls, it could be really good playable.

I really hope this game can be made legal for the Pandora, same with all the other possible Android games, even if they are just evil casual games for facebook addicted kiddies. :D

However, I also want to seee all the "lost" PNDs in the repo, also the ones from the Archive. Updated and fixed for repo standards of course. :)

I've noticed more than a few downloads links on dl.openhandhelds.org lead to a 404 error, such as Visual Boy Advance. Does anyone have a copy of that? And what's up with all these 404s?
I have a copy of the VisualBoyAdvance PND, as it's what I prefer for original Game Boy games. I'm away from my main box right now, but I'll upload it later once I have access to it again, unless someone else beats me to it in the meantime.
Ok, it looks like no-one beat me to it, so here's the re-uploaded VBA.

Oh... I'd rather not, since it isn't my work. I was just uploading it because of the 404s on the file archive... :)

Oh... I'd rather not, since it isn't my work. I was just uploading it because of the 404s on the file archive... :)
You know mediafire will drop this file at some point and this will be lost again.

Also you know I uploaded mupen PND to the repo and it's obviously not my work either ;)

Also you know I uploaded mupen PND to the repo and it's obviously not my work either ;)
You really shouldn't do that. Non-maintainers uploading things to the app store against the developers wishes was one of the philosophical complaints that lead to the creation of the current repo.

Can we list these in the first post and sticky this thread? Good idea btw, I was wondering about all those older PND's that may not have never made it to the repo or openhandhelds. This will be a great source to have for those of us still waiting!

Not sure what the problem with the VisualBBoyAdvance PND is though, I can still download it from the Appstore ... and ED is one of the authors (hint,hint)

Because of that and motivated by a request for the mana world client in the german forums (the link in the old gp32x.de thread doesn't work anymore), I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread where everyone could make such a request.
I'm the guilty one. But it looks like my intention wasn't clearly written to be captured by the reader. I'm sorry for this.

My intention was to find a contact to the author or another site where he could have deployed his work too.

As this thread had revealed the quest for the lost pnd would lead into copy- and distributionright issues very quickly.

The legality of the redistribution of a lost pnd is a question in detail and to find that out you need the pnd itself and hope that the copyright information of the pnd wasn't hacked. The always legal topic would be a "quest for the lost open source".

I have StreaK's PNDs from A... to QDiskUsage
Due to streaks behavior i do recommend not to use and not to distribute them.

We have need for open source rebuilds of those tools to get rid of possible licence or spyware trapdoors.

I've still got Mana World on my card and I'm also getting the full set of stuff streak created (someone grabbed it :) ), I'll check what can be repackaged due to GPL reasons and what not.
Great! Thank's a lot in advance! :D

This reminds me that we still do not have a source repo. I don't know if that would be a good solution, maybe a source patch repo for diff storage would be smaller and enough.

By the way, the problem revealed here could be applied to all repo pnds to in case of the disappearence of the repo. None of us could look into the future and some of us may have lost friends by accidents. I don't want to be the pessimist again, but the question "what will happen if" for a worst case scenario when ED is gone would lead into the same situation like now. The questions are "where are the pnds?" and "is it legal to re-distrubute the pnds?" would apply to every single pnd of the repo too - because the pandora and the repo is really far open, open for closed and restricted software, too. We mixed open and restricted software into one pool and blocked the way of cloning the repo easily.

Last edited by a moderator:
I won't upload them anywhere permanent (aka only send them out on a one-by-one basis)
Meaning I won't make them publically available for everybody. Sure, it's kind of a contradiction, but that way it stays in this community and only people who really need or want a specific PND will get it (and it's not like anybody could tell I redistributed something), also by uploading them in my (or anybody else's name) the original creator's name would be lost/forgotten.

I really dislike how he handled the situation, but I also feel his hard work should not go to waste.

But, as I said, I am not too sure about how to handle this one and am happy for your ideas and comments on the matter.

Should I upload them somewhere (openhandhelds, repo, rapidshare)? Should I just send them out to anybody who asks behind the scenes? Or not distribute them at all?
I'm also very insecure about how to handle this in an "ethical way. And giving them out in a one by one fashion rather than having a page very you can get them is just semantics for me - as you do make it publicly available, you just narrow the access, beside I do not see any interest for his work outside of the community.

Getting the original authors name disremembered is something I took into account, but decided that his name would be forgotten in this context anyway if his work disappeared. But you can always put the original authors name at a prominent place to counteract this.

But don't get me wrong, I'm also very insecure about this. But in this special case I think, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few ... Or the one.

B2T:

We still need a good place to store these as the repo isn't suitable (for whatever reasons) for most of the lost ones, otherwise they would already be in the repo - wouldn't they ?

So ED, whats the 404 fuzz about dl.openhandels.org ?

Back