The Lost Pnd Thread

thatgui

Advanced Member
Despite the common sense "the internet does not forget" - it actually does forget many things.

Because of that and motivated by a request for the mana world client in the german forums (the link in the old gp32x.de thread doesn't work anymore), I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread where everyone could make such a request.

As not every pnd that may be requested is suitable for the repo (author issues, alpha states, etc.), and filehoster links aren't guaranteed to be long living, we need a place to upload them to.

Despite the fact that the interface is horrible, I would recommend dl.openhandhelds.org as it is already there and will be there as long as ED stays in business. I don't know anything about upload rights, but ED could shed some light on it if needed.

request: So the first request would be:

- The Mana World Client => temporary Link (thanks to BAFelton)

- Visual Boy Advance => temporary Link (thanks to Prometheus)

- pcsx-ReArmed r7 => temporary Link

If there is interest I could offer:

- DosBoxEx V3

- lightppd

pnd that can NOT be requested:

- Angry Birds [Reason: serious legal issues]

Last edited by a moderator:
Good idea for a thread!

I have StreaK's PNDs from A... to QDiskUsage in their latest versions (sadly the sever shut down halfway through, so everything coming alphabetically after QDiskUsage is missing).

This includes DosBoxEx v5, CLILove, mame EX v3 and a lot of others.

However, I won't upload them anywhere permanent (aka only send them out on a one-by-one basis) as for one I don't know how that would infringe his license/copyright (having never been able to read the actual license text) and for two I respect his wish to permanently delete them from the net.

Maybe I should not even send them out on a one-by-one basis, but I cannot let all this work go to waste, so please help me out on this one.

I've still got Mana World on my card and I'm also getting the full set of stuff streak created (someone grabbed it :) ), I'll check what can be repackaged due to GPL reasons and what not.

I suggest using the repo. It's also on my server so it's as good as dl.openhandhelds.org but better suited for the Pandora.

Good idea for a thread!

However, I won't upload them anywhere permanent (aka only send them out on a one-by-one basis) as for one I don't know how that would infringe his license/copyright (having never been able to read the actual license text) and for two I respect his wish to permanently delete them from the net.

Introducing... StreaKs foxblockrepo!

;)

I've noticed more than a few downloads links on dl.openhandhelds.org lead to a 404 error, such as Visual Boy Advance. Does anyone have a copy of that? And what's up with all these 404s?

send them out on a

I respect his wish to permanently delete them from the net.
Isn't that some kind of contradiction ?

I respect his wishes, but wasn't it also a little bit naive thinking that releasing something to the public and afterwards restricting the access to it would hold others off from distributing them in other forms ?

I thought not using the repo would be an approach of balancing out our respect for his wishes and the "public" interest in his work

I've still got Mana World on my card and I'm also getting the full set of stuff streak created (someone grabbed it :) )
make it available somewhere

I suggest using the repo. It's also on my server so it's as good as dl.openhandhelds.org but better suited for the Pandora.
I'm not quite comortable with that, as some authors maybe don't want them to be released that way

Great idea for a thread. :)

Mypaint is the one I'd love to see on the repo, though it does need a fix to work correctly with the new firmware.

If it could be fixed then it would be a real Pandora essential, the new touch screen routines make it super responsive. The problem is that when starting a new brush stroke a straight line is drawn between the start of the new stroke & the end of the last stroke. I'm sure one of the many software gurus who frequent these boards would have some idea as to why this happens.

I would love to have Dosbox EX, since it disappeared just as I was getting my Pandora. But I'm not sure if it's ethical to ask for it, if it was taken away for personal reasons. ^^; If it is, then yes please.

Sorry, dgame - had to nerf that link since it pointed to the offending material... The gist of your message was common-sense for anyone wishing to infringe on Rovio's copyrights, anyway. ;)

I've noticed more than a few downloads links on dl.openhandhelds.org lead to a 404 error, such as Visual Boy Advance. Does anyone have a copy of that? And what's up with all these 404s?
I have a copy of the VisualBoyAdvance PND, as it's what I prefer for original Game Boy games. I'm away from my main box right now, but I'll upload it later once I have access to it again, unless someone else beats me to it in the meantime.

I'm not quite comortable with that, as some authors maybe don't want them to be released that way

I usually agree, that's why I won't upload anything of his own work.

For quite a few PNDs he said all he did was recompiling them, these are fine to be distributed.

The problem is that when starting a new brush stroke a straight line is drawn between the start of the new stroke & the end of the last stroke. I'm sure one of the many software gurus who frequent these boards would have some idea as to why this happens.
This sounds to me like an SDL bug of sorts, discussed briefly here:

http://www.gp32x.de...n-pythonpygame/

Basically, when you touch the touch screen, the mouse button down event wrongly reports the old position instead of the new position. After that, mouse motion events report the correct position.

This bug causes problems in ScummVM with certain games (King's Quest VI), and I also faced an issue with it when I was porting Project: Starfighter.

BUT, I don't experience this problem in MyPaint (version 0.9.0) myself, and you do say you started experiencing it with the new firmware, so I suspect that, while this particular SDL bug may have something to do with it, there's more to it that.

notaz fixed a bug in the touchscreen driver in more recent firmwares.

MyPaint was USING this bug, that's why this happens now.

So MyPaint needs to be fixed.

send them out on a

I respect his wish to permanently delete them from the net.
Isn't that some kind of contradiction ?
You failed to quote the relevant part there:

I won't upload them anywhere permanent (aka only send them out on a one-by-one basis)
Meaning I won't make them publically available for everybody. Sure, it's kind of a contradiction, but that way it stays in this community and only people who really need or want a specific PND will get it (and it's not like anybody could tell I redistributed something), also by uploading them in my (or anybody else's name) the original creator's name would be lost/forgotten.

I really dislike how he handled the situation, but I also feel his hard work should not go to waste.

But, as I said, I am not too sure about how to handle this one and am happy for your ideas and comments on the matter.

Should I upload them somewhere (openhandhelds, repo, rapidshare)? Should I just send them out to anybody who asks behind the scenes? Or not distribute them at all?

notaz fixed a bug in the touchscreen driver in more recent firmwares.

MyPaint was USING this bug, that's why this happens now.

So MyPaint needs to be fixed.
The touchscreen bug can be easily fixed applying this: blogs.distant-earth.com/wp/?p=293

(granted that only applies to SDL apps)

Sorry, dgame - had to nerf that link since it pointed to the offending material... The gist of your message was common-sense for anyone wishing to infringe on Rovio's copyrights, anyway. ;)
I started that thread. I also asked about google links and most responses were focused on illegal ROM sites.

So I do not post ROM sites.

So why can't I link to google searches?

Is google.com an illegal ROM site?

What is infringing about what I posted above? or this:

[Removed] [About 2,600,000 results]

Can I post Google: Angry Birds PND! ?

Back