The Final Revision

At least, the day before yesterday, the Pandora Firmware Images were still online, i had to reflash my Pandora, and i dotnt know why, after its batterie was empty, (maybe because the heat) its stuck on the logging screen, but i dotnt have logging enabled..

this is one of the thinks i will miss when i get my Pyra: the Tiny Images, ; 250 mb is something, you can easely handle in 10 Minutes, but the Pyra will have a much bigger Linux..

But on the other side: i wants my Pyra to be my Every Day Work PC, so it will recharded more often..

Hey, so Sony just announced a commemorative special edition PS4 Pro that's a translucent dark blue with some copper accents with the logo. It looks super classy imo and I think a similar style of limited edition shell would look amazing on the Pyra. A really dark red translucent case (dark enough so that it doesn't really look translucent at first glance, like with the PS4) with maybe a copper logo plate would be a gorgeous limited edition.
And if you were to make that a launch special edition, even someone like me would choose to forego waiting for a USB C version just for it.

EDIT: Actually I personally think a copper logo plate by default would look better than the current metal choice. Having a silver colored metal plate has always looked too garish and out of place to me.

Last edited:
Since he is now going for stainless steel instead of anodised aluminium, the colour options for the plate are no longer available I guess.
I am happy with his choice since I really like stainless steel, but as with almost everything, it's about personal taste.

Last edited:
EDIT: Actually I personally think a copper logo plate by default would look better than the current metal choice. Having a silver colored metal plate has always looked too garish and out of place to me.
I am fine with bare aluminum. Brushed steel might be ok. I plan on making myself a custom copper plate at some point.

Since he is now going for stainless steel instead of anodised aluminium, the colour options for the plate are no longer available I guess.
I am happy with his choice since I really like stainless teel, but as with almost everything, it's about personal taste.

Ah, thanks. I missed that one. Stainless steel is fine with me too anyway :)

Yeah, I don't think he was ever planning to tint the oxide layer on anodised aluminium, just have it there for protection. With stainless steel that's less necessary. A brass logo plate would be nice though!

And if you were to make that a launch special edition, even someone like me would choose to forego waiting for a USB C version just for it.

The Pyra itself will sell in the thousands. To have a "special edition" of anything, it first needs to sell in vast quantities to justify a special edition of a few thousand units. So, this is very unlikely to happen and would not be logical to wait for.

If you are waiting for a design change of the Pyra to USB C - which would require board changes, additional on-board components to negotiate the flip over capabilities of the plug - AND case plastics changes - without resulting in any actual advantages beyond having a plug that can be used upside down - that is going to be a very long wait.

Just having a USB C plug does not grant USB 3.2 C port capabilities. Those high speeds and super fast charging and external monitor capabilities don't simply come along for the ride. They would require a different SoC, different CPU board, different peripheral board, new plastics and wholesale changes to the charging circuitry (different battery?). Pretty close to starting the whole project over at that point.

Do you really think that the whole project should be upended because one person who has not ordered a unit is not happy about what kind of port type is on one out of twelve user ports on the device?

So, 12??
  1. microUSB 3.0 OTG (host, device and charging)
  2. microUSB (charging, serial debug)
  3. USB 2.0
  4. USB 2.0
  5. eSATA (requires adapter and supplants a USB 2.0)
  6. audio headset
  7. microHDMI
  8. left SD
  9. right SD
  10. battery
  11. SIM
  12. microSD
Did I miss anything? With the SoC daughter board does that count as one or even two more ports?

So, 12??
  3. USB 2.0
  4. USB 2.0
  6. audio headset
  7. microHDMI
  8. left SD
  9. right SD
  10. battery
  11. SIM
  12. microSD

In a perfect world I would have a full-sized HDMI port on the Pyra, as I have never knowingly seen a microHDMI cable before -- are they common or at least easily purchasable?

In a perfect world I would have a full-sized HDMI port on the Pyra, as I have never knowingly seen a microHDMI cable before -- are they common or at least easily purchasable?

srsly-you-guys1.gif

I already have two type D to full sized adaptors which I ordered the last time this looked nearly ready. I hope it uses a type D plug now.

Amazon has several dozen different examples of adapters and cables to get you from microHDMI to HDMI male or female.

Regular sized HDMI. It was a wish of mine too, it would be great to quickly test screens etc. Unfortunately I use a lot of HDMI at work, HDMI connectors and cables have learned to be horribly fragile. cable weight tension is a big problem. If cables hang in the connector it wears them out relatively quick or makes the connection insecure. Often cables break and sockets get damaged. I changed my mind... On vacations I'll bring my own cable(tree).

Hmmm... I picture a plastic pyra clip-on with cable strain relief now. :)

Yeah, I'm not planning to use either or my adaptors without a length of the cable being supported on the desk or bench I'm using. And if one fails I've always got another, assuming it's not the Pyra's connector that gets pulled off the board. Maybe I need to come up with a bit of wood or something to support the adaptor when it's in its place.

The Pyra itself will sell in the thousands. To have a "special edition" of anything, it first needs to sell in vast quantities to justify a special edition of a few thousand units. So, this is very unlikely to happen and would not be logical to wait for.

If you are waiting for a design change of the Pyra to USB C - which would require board changes, additional on-board components to negotiate the flip over capabilities of the plug - AND case plastics changes - without resulting in any actual advantages beyond having a plug that can be used upside down - that is going to be a very long wait.

Just having a USB C plug does not grant USB 3.2 C port capabilities. Those high speeds and super fast charging and external monitor capabilities don't simply come along for the ride. They would require a different SoC, different CPU board, different peripheral board, new plastics and wholesale changes to the charging circuitry (different battery?). Pretty close to starting the whole project over at that point.

Do you really think that the whole project should be upended because one person who has not ordered a unit is not happy about what kind of port type is on one out of twelve user ports on the device?

So, 12??
  3. USB 2.0
  4. USB 2.0
  6. audio headset
  7. microHDMI
  8. left SD
  9. right SD
  10. battery
  11. SIM
  12. microSD
Did I miss anything? With the SoC daughter board does that count as one or even two more ports?
What's with the passive aggressive answer? Do you really think I'm trying to derail this whole project just for one port?
HE ALREADY SAID THAT HE'S THINKING OF MAKING A USB-C VERSION.
And with that I decided to wait. I know it'll be a long time. It will be a long time for a gen 2 CPU board as well. But even so, if a future board can support USB 3 on a USB C port, then I may as well wait so that then I'll be prepared for a gen 3 board or gen 4, etc.
Also, in the stream he said it wouldn't be massively difficult to change one of the micro USB ports to USB C, so I'll trust his word on that.
And about the whole special edition thing, I only suggested that because I figured a clear case with pigmentation would be difficult to do with the materials he's hoping to use. I only brought up the idea of making a small batch, if it's possible for him to do so, so that he can offer an eye opening option for potential buyers.
P. S. Do you seriously believe I'm the only person who wants a USB C port? Do you really think that just one potential customer was enough to sway a hardworker like EvilDragon into considering the idea, even though he was against it years before?

I am fine with bare aluminum. Brushed steel might be ok. I plan on making myself a custom copper plate at some point.
I can make do with the current one, I just think copper would be more fitting.

HE ALREADY SAID THAT HE'S THINKING OF MAKING A USB-C VERSION.

Um...doubtful. ED will be involved in a CPU board, but the ports are on the main board.

And with that I decided to wait. I know it'll be a long time. It will be a long time for a gen 2 CPU board as well.

So long as you realise that there is a very good chance that it will never happen.

P. S. Do you seriously believe I'm the only person who wants a USB C port?

Pretty much yes. The device will already have usb 3.0....so usb c doesn't add anything.

Back