The Dosbox / Ibm Pc Information Thread

Here is a list of games I tested (the fps I give is just an estimate):

What about Civilization? :)

I've been playing around with the PSP version of DOSBOX recently, which supports the dyna-rec version of the CPU emulation.

I've come to the conclusion that the Dyna-Rec really should be implemented for the GP2X. With touch screen support already in place, the speed-up given by the Dyna-Rec would make DOSBOX another killer app for the humble GP2X, IMHO.

I find it very hard to gauge how fast things are going in DOSBOX as there doesn't seem to be anyway to display FPS.
So I propose the following rating system:

A = Seems Perfect.
B = Good.
C = Playable.
D = Too Slow.
E = Doesn't work.

As an example:

There's another thread with DOSBOX and how usable "Their Finest Hour: Battle of Britain" fares. I've found that BoB on the PSP gets an "A" rating and that's at 222Mhz.

Also there are some dosbox.conf settings which can influence the speed of the game. Important settings include the following which I have set for (hopefully) fastest execution. Note that the sound is set to 11025hz which is okay in most instances and certainly fine for the PC Speaker. I think it's highest native rate was about 8000hz anyway.
Frameskip could be set to = 0 for some games I would imagine but a value of 1 works well for most games.
Pity there is no auto option for this.
The aspect setting is ok on the PSP as it corrects automatically.

CODE
[SDL]
priority=highest,normal

[RENDER]
frameskip=1
aspect=true
scaler=none

[MIXER]
rate=11025

[SBLASTER]
oplrate=11025

[SPEAKER]
pcrate=11025
tandyrate=11025

What settings have you been using?

slaanesh said:
Yes I am using these same settings, but I mapped the cycle up/down and frameskip up/down to a key combo so I can change it an runtime.

Civilization should run too, not a single game I tested didn't worked :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hitnrun said:
slaanesh said:
Yes I am using these same settings, but I mapped the cycle up/down and frameskip up/down to a key combo so I can change it an runtime.

Yeah making those memory changes really made the world of a difference on games running on dosbox.

Hitnrun said:
I mapped the cycle up/down and frameskip up/down to a key combo so I can change it an runtime.
Please post your keymapping info for these - just the mapper.txt lines that handle frameskip and cycles! Thanks

Good work Pickle :)

Well done!

And yeah if you could find out how to map that silly mouse pointer to the joypad I'll be happy, I spent days on that in 2006 and then 2007.

(sorry I stopped working on doxbox due to some reasons of moving house / not having my toolchain running / and my sd card broke)

I've just fixed all that lol! - and my gp2x now working again fine

Keep up the good work :)

Regards
bOing

bOingball said:
And yeah if you could find out how to map that silly mouse pointer to the joypad I'll be happy
we could this by adding an option to the SDL section to turn it off and on.
and then if its on, make the cursor move when the joysticks buttons pressed? I did something very simliar for xBak.

A lot work was done by Hitnrun too.

Project Space Station is working. I'm ecstatic!

Quick question... I think the game is a 320x200 CGA game... I'm getting about 40 pixels of garbage on the bottom. Is there a scaler or a mechanism to put black bars on the top and bottom instead of seeing screen junk?

I'm off to test more interesting apps. Dosbox was my last killer app for the gp2x, and I'm so happy it's working now!

Trevor Bradley said:
Project Space Station is working. I'm ecstatic!

Quick question... I think the game is a 320x200 CGA game... I'm getting about 40 pixels of garbage on the bottom. Is there a scaler or a mechanism to put black bars on the top and bottom instead of seeing screen junk?

I'm off to test more interesting apps. Dosbox was my last killer app for the gp2x, and I'm so happy it's working now!
strange i havnt seen any 320x200 create garbage in the last 40 lines, i always have the black bar.
You have 2 options, add one of this in your dosbox.conf file
scaler=normal2x or
gp2x_fullscreen=true (recommod this one)

Both will scale the image to fit the screen, the second takes less resources to do.

Pickle said:
strange i havnt seen any 320x200 create garbage in the last 40 lines, i always have the black bar.
scaler=normal2x or

Both will scale the image to fit the screen, the second takes less resources to do.

scaler=normal2x worked, gp2x_fullscreen=true doesn't.

However scaling *up* to 320x240 doesn't look to hot. I'll play around with scaler and see if I can get a better result.

Trevor Bradley said:
Pickle said:
scaler=normal2x or

scaler=normal2x worked, gp2x_fullscreen=true doesn't.

However scaling *up* to 320x240 doesn't look to hot. I'll play around with scaler and see if I can get a better result.

did you put gp2x_fullscreen=true in the sdl section? I just doubled checked the option and it does work.

normal2x actually scales to 640x400 and then sdl scales it back to 320x240. The gp2x_fullscreen only scales up to 320x240.

PC Elite Plus

This is one of my favourite games ever so here it is, its a little slow but definitely playable.
Controls are annoying because there are so many, but I've managed to work it out, its fairly usable if you take some time to learn.

IMG_2051.JPG

IMG_2053.JPG

The file library doesnt seem to allow me to register at the moment, so you can download the config files and mapper here:

http://www.bencoder.com/ElitePlus.zip

Edit: Ok, it let me create an account now:
http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,63,2536

Hitnrun said:
slaanesh said:

A bit off-topic, but can I ask how you did that (mapped the cycle up to a key combo)?

Randomness said:
Hitnrun said:
slaanesh said:

A bit off-topic, but can I ask how you did that (mapped the cycle up to a key combo)?

CODE

hand_cycleup "key 267 mod1"
hand_cycledown "key 266 mod1"
mod_1 "key 274"

This example is for a multiple keypress (stick+L or R)

Pickle said:
Randomness said:
Hitnrun said:
slaanesh said:

CODE

mod_1 "key 274"

Thanks.

Is there a guide around to the various key numbers and combos? I'm trying to properly set a quick cycleup/cycledown method on PSP's Dosbox, and I had not come across button combos before. I wasn't sure they were possible to enter in the conf file :unsure:

Randomness said:
Pickle said:
Randomness said:
Hitnrun said:
slaanesh said:

CODE

mod_1 "key 274"

Thanks.

Is there a guide around to the various key numbers and combos? I'm trying to properly set a quick cycleup/cycledown method on PSP's Dosbox, and I had not come across button combos before. I wasn't sure they were possible to enter in the conf file :unsure:

Theres a wiki page decicated to the GP2X dosbox. It may not work for the PSP, for the GP2X we hacked the buttons to appear as SDL keyaboard keys to dosbox. So when you hit a button on the GP2X it actually looks like you hit a key on the number pad. The mappings are in the mapper.txt not the dosbox.conf.

Hitnrun said:
Here is a list of games I tested (the fps I give is just an estimate):

- 2nd reality demo - works somewhat slow, but works (~8 fps)
- alley cat - works perfectly
- Master of Orion, works, little lagging sound, touchscreen works perfectly, but crashes when a game is about to start
- Alone in the Dark 1 - works, slow video and lagging sound (~8 fps)
- Cobra Mission - works, touchscreen perfect, video good speed, audio little lag (~15fps)
- Dune 2 - works, touchscreen perfect, video good speed, audio little lag (~15fps)
- Epic Pinball - works, video a little slow, audio totally broken (~20fps, but with several slowdowns)
- Gabriel Knight - works, touchscreen perfect, video a little slow, audio not too bad, with a little overclocking should be good (~15fps)
- World Circuit F1GP - works, touchscreen perfect, but too slow to play
- Gran Prix Circuit - works, video speed good (in game should be good with overclock), sound perfect (pc speaker) (~15fps)
- Heroes of Might and Magic 1 - works, touchscreen works good on the first top half of the screen, not so good on the bottom half
- Lemmings - works, very good video speed, sound effects work good, but mouse cursor don't go to some parts of the screen (dosbox desktop seems to have the same problem)
- Life and Death - works perfectly, mouse, video, and audio (~25fps)
- Pinball Fantasies - video works perfect, playable speed, sound almost perfect (a little slow), should be good with a little overclock (~25fps)
- Railroad Tycoon - works, video speed perfect, audio (pc speaker) almost good, mouse perfect
- SimCity 2000 - works, video is slow (640x480 resolution), audio lags a lot, but touchscreen is incredible perfect, even me can't believe it :D
- Settlers 2 - works, but didn't test it too much
- Stunts - works, video slow in game, audio a little lagging, touchscreen perfect (~10fps)
- The Incredible Machine - works, good video speed, audio a little lagging, mouse handling perfect on the top half of the screen, almost in the bottom part. Looks like it does some strange things with the mouse (~12fps)
- XCOM1 - works, touchscreen perfect, but didn't test it too much
Sorry to bump this old thread, but are these dosbox configs available anywhere? I'd really like to try out Epic Pinball and Pinball Fantasies on my GP2X.

limonaati said:
Sorry to bump this old thread, but are these dosbox configs available anywhere? I'd really like to try out Epic Pinball and Pinball Fantasies on my GP2X.
Look in the archives, or use an existing one

Pickle said:
limonaati said:
Look in the archives, or use an existing one

Yes, I guess that was a stupid question on my part. I just started to look into what the config files are like after my post, shouldn't be too hard to set them up myself.

However, that being said, I can't seem to get even Alley Cat to run properly on my F200 (it doesn't feel like responding to my keypresses at all). :)

more games:

death track - works, but a bit slow, bad sound effects, sometimes crash
disc - works almost perfect (amiga version works perfect too)
wizardry 7 - works, but very very slow
eye of the beholder series - as above (pc98 version works better)
ultima 6 - as above (pc98/snes version works better)
pinball Fantasies - playable but slow (gba version works better)
zeliard - playable speed (pc88/x1 vesion should works on gp2x, but there is no such emulator yet)
heart of china - playable speed
lost dutchman mines - works but slow (amiga version works better)
revenge of doh - works, playable speed
teenage queen - works almost perfect (amiga version works perfect too)
hillsfar - works, good speed (amiga/pc98 version works too)
koei games - most of them works, but since the resolution large than 320x240, the video looks bad (pc98/snes/md/pce/gba version works better)
night hunter - works almost perfect (amiga version works perfect too)
cdman 1 &2 - works perfectly

Back