The Communication Cube

Yes, although that's referring more to the coating, which as an opaque plastic is open to being heavily attacked by UV, because it's an ionising form of energy. I've never seen UV damage to silica glasses such as house windows, which I suspect you'd need to use for a wide frequency cable designed to transmit sunlight, although specific cables for specific uses can be made out of flouride glasses and more esoteric stuff.

AFAIK you need special glass, if you want to allow a high throughput of uv light - that's talking about thin panes. Are there even optic fibres, that are relevant uv light transducers?
According to wikipedia you need silica glass doped with something that has a lot of hydroxyl groups in it. It doesn't say what a suitable dopant would be though, so I can't make any further inferences beyond that simple claim.

Reactions: rSl
Found this:
Some dudes measured different glass materials and some plastics for UV transmittance. Starting from page 10 of the full text, there are curves with there results. The materials, they looked at don't seem to be transmittant, if you translate their findings to meters of fibre.

Looking for "ultraviolet transmittant optical fibre", I find there seems to be demand and supply, though on the quick and dirty I only saw mention of solutions for durability.

aa76e08340426a102a1b3fe72b3eaea2.jpg

i guess it would be weird to just see the back of someone's eyeballs floating around. maybe he can see IR or UV only.

Dispatches from Elsewhere. Seen? What do you think?

Up until episode 7 - to me - it was a very beautiful show with a good kind and amount of strange and weird. Got me crying, while I was not sleep deprived - that's rare.
But then they started to lose me. Still moving moments here and there, but I knew less and less, what the story is about. And with the last episode I didn't know at all, what to do. Also I didn't get what the great mystery was supposed to be in the end. ?

This is why I mostly watch crime drama. The stories in those start out various and confusing, but generally by the end of the first episode the victim had died or what have you, and the last episode should end up with the cops catching the robbers, so they generally tighten up at the end.

Back