The Communication Cube

Yep, you shouldn't work with green (fresh havested) wood. Drying it properly is a profession of it's own and takes a lot of time and space.

It can be massively accellerated via microwaves though (we got a huge microwave in the workshop for re-drying the wood after it's been bent in steam).

I've got enough scraps of classy well dried black cherry wood (very nice brown tone, gets darker over time in sunlight) in my workshop, but I'm not exactly around the corner of Switzerland.

The stuff you got there may be some birch plywood and the other one will most likely be pine, that's what people got liyng around usually.

For raw carving, I like the cheap carving knifes from "Erik Frost" (Sweden) but got a very small japanese carving set too, which is very seldomly used (it's been years..).
So apropos my Theremin - I decided I didn't like that case I made, so I left it at a stage where it looks pretty finished (though ugly), but not very functional.I found a piece of linden wood which seemed acceptable (I think it still is), but it turns out we don't actually have any carving knices. Where did you get those carving knifes and what does "cheap" mean?

We have two gouges, both of which need to be sharpened properly. I really need to search the internet for a guide on how the tip of those gouges actually is supposed to look, then I can probably sharpen them properly. We have got the suitable machine, my father uses it for sharpening his wood turning tools (however those are called in English).

I'm really lacking quite some experience in this area, having only carved some stuff in school, and that probably only because I went to a private school the first six years, where stuff like this was done much more often than in the usual public school (we also had gardening class. That was not something I liked, but whatever. It never hurts to have done something like this, I guess the usual kid doesn't ever get to do something like this. They even had some sheep, and in retrospect it's actually really a nice garden, if you like to work yourself to death just to get some vegetables from your own garden. I don't).

But sometimes I just want to /make/ something, so this is something I want to do more. It's just really not rewarding at all, going to school, don't really doing anything. I just sit there, pay attention (more or less), sometimes write a test - that's no proper full time occupation (no, I don't spend time on school at home - I don't need to, usually, just sometime some longer assignment which I can't {actually: shouldn't} skip, but those are rare).

I'm mentally ill and yes they are, also my first comment wasn't an rfc it was more of a here's what I'm going to do, if you don't like it then tough type of thing.

I work in mental health - schizophrenia (or any other mental illness) really isn't a laughing matter.
I agree with you completely. I was just trying to warn Strigoi, didn't want it to sound in a wrong way.

I apologize if i caused a misunderstanding.

Last edited by a moderator:
I work in mental health - schizophrenia (or any other mental illness) really isn't a laughing matter.
I agree with you completely. I was just trying to warn Strigoi, didn't want it to sound in a wrong way.

I apologize if i caused a misunderstanding.
I was agreeing with you - it is a bitch and is definitely not worth the risk.

My first Xen vm is running and network is behaving properly. Yay. :)

Might not sound like a lot, but it's still satisfying. Wanted to do this for a while.

Now to greater things... :-D

I would've sworn this was a pantomime dressed up Jonathan Ross...

1340296421917_bobimg_2x1_Overlay_640_320.jpg

...Then I noted it's a shot from Little Dolly Daydream, which was 1938.

Got to be a relative eh? :)

Is it morally acceptable to pkill -9 skype because it beeped while I was listening to good music and I was annoyed about that? ^^

Thanks.I'm mean, it's a fast death, isn't it? I wasn't torturing it longer than necessary, like I would have with pkill without arguments. It didn't even new what was coming.

And the music was really nice, I was completely captivated by it. Because it had a very large dynamic range I had to set the loudness to 100% to hear the quiet parts. Then Skype BEEEEEEEPS right into a slow movement filled with feelings.

Back