The Communication Cube

I haven't watched the video but the title and text snippet are wrong.
2FA in itself is an additional security layer. It's using an alternate method to check that you are who you claim to be, in case the primary authentication method has been compromised.

It's nothing new, it has long been used in many forms, from banks calling you to check that you were indeed the one making that large purchase/withdrawal to remote workers using RSA token cards to connect to their company network.

As usual with companies, it might be used as a pretext to extract something from you (your phone number, get you to download their app, etc.) but that's just capitalist companies being capitalist companies, it doesn't detract anything from the fact that 2FA does improve security.

I haven't watched the video

2760679809_d6b96f3322_n.jpg

That brings back memories...We did chat with people around the world. Obviously, the timezones make it difficult to follow a conversation, but idling was the only way to get the history of the conversation (we dialed up to the University server, and continued a "screen" session that keeps running even when you disconnect). Now the conversation is centrally logged, so the NSA.., I mean, so that you can connect at any time and have all the chat in the group, even when you were not connected.

I hosted a TOR exit point for a month or so (ahh... REAL unlimited plans... before they found out that some actually went overboard and transmitted terrabytes, in a time where megabytes of data were the norm. Then they pinched the upload speed... while keeping the download speed...). Until friends discouraged me (I was very naive back then) and not get into trouble. I Also offered my open wifi (it was next to a window, so the street could get coverage). Nothing special happened. I checked the logs from time to time. Just normal connections. It was when the Internet was still a save place. Later, snort started seeing more and more port walkers (bots that try all your ports to see if there are vulnerabilities; usually windows ports - and I laughed in Debianish even created a honeypot so see if I would get a payload... I did! And thanks to the mighty F-prot for Linux, I could analize what virus I got) by then the provider changed the way we connect, in the past, we got an internet address a REAL one, so you kept your machine up, remembered your IP and you could telnet into your machine from anywhere. Then things like dynadns started popping up. First for free, then paid.

Here's another blast from the past:

Last edited:
(we dialed up to the University server, and continued a "screen" session that keeps running even when you disconnect).

You only get access to screen if you're a MetaARPA level user, us lowly ARPA level users have to make do with Tmux.

Here's another blast from the past:

You may be interested in Gemini.

• Love
Reactions: rSl
Interesting they don't point the finger at the suspected perp (discussed in other fora). It's better not to angry them indeed.
Maybe they were trying to be “diplomatic” about it \o/
Any links to those fora?

First, here's the original article, it's way more detailed:

crosscompleted with this info

As for surface light-reading, just head to:

I haven't watched the video but the title and text snippet are wrong.
2FA in itself is an additional security layer. It's using an alternate method to check that you are who you claim to be, in case the primary authentication method has been compromised.

It's nothing new, it has long been used in many forms, from banks calling you to check that you were indeed the one making that large purchase/withdrawal to remote workers using RSA token cards to connect to their company network.

As usual with companies, it might be used as a pretext to extract something from you (your phone number, get you to download their app, etc.) but that's just capitalist companies being capitalist companies, it doesn't detract anything from the fact that 2FA does improve security.

Interesting. I've not heard antiparticle annihilation described as rejoining an electron before, but there you go. I think these electrons are not the ones orbiting the the nucleus because this would just effectively charge the atom +1, but instead the ones in the nucleus inside the neutrons. Free neutrons are radioactive and emit an electron (beta decay) to become protons which are stable nuclear particles. I guess their positrons remove the electron from the neutron changing it into a proton. As far as I know, antiparticle annihilation emits a chunk of gamma rays, but when the ground is radioactive anyway, I guess a few more gamma rays won't be much of a worry.

You don't need to do ss7 to hack anyone's text. Most commonly done these days is someone phones up the carrier and socially engineers their way round to porting your number. That would I assume boot you off the network, so you at least get some notification something's gone wrong, but it's often too late before you notice.

Back