The commercial game Halloween (FPS) for Linux is now the open source project

Thank you for the answer.

I checked the new version of Halloween, and I can't build it:

I removed the library libturbojpeg, and Cmake tries to detect it.

@Brizzly27

I removed it, and now it's the issue with the file loadjpeg_linux.cpp:

I tried to comment this file in CMakeLists.txt, which allowed me to generate build files, but it stopped when I typed make.

Last edited:
@Brizzly27

I removed it, and now it's the issue with the file loadjpeg_linux.cpp:

I tried to comment this file in CMakeLists.txt, which allowed me to generate build files, but it stopped when I typed make.

I see there is this line (mac pc code) : HalloweenSrc/jpeg.cpp:72:28: error: ‘KMiscTools’ has not been declared
Try this :
#ifdef H_LINUX
return LoadFromJPEG(Name, fullname, id, map_tex);
#endif

return LoadFromJPEG(Name, KMiscTools::makeFilePath(fullname), id, map_tex);

I will have my ubuntu back soon hopefully.

Just pushed a version that builds on Linux, with cmake/make and without lib jpeg/turbo

Just pushed a version that builds on Linux, with cmake/make and without lib jpeg/turbo

Thank you!

I checked a new version, and it works.

I need more time to check other levels in this game.

I have to correct something.

In the first level, I can see two well-known issues: rec_depth overflow and a few recusive errors.

I didn't report it, but in the last level, there is something like Arec_depth overflow that you can see here too.

I suspect these are the main issues that hurt the performance of this game on the Open pandora console.

This is related to collision detection within BSP-Level.
Sometimes the code collision detection sometimes get lost into deep recursive calls by error..
The best fixe should be to better align map vertices datas, then use opengl vertex buffer objets (better performance) and use a open-source physic collision lib like : https://www.reactphysics3d.com/
I don't know is any quick win is possible yet though

This is related to collision detection within BSP-Level.
Sometimes the code collision detection sometimes get lost into deep recursive calls by error..
The best fixe should be to better align map vertices datas, then use opengl vertex buffer objets (better performance) and use a open-source physic collision lib like : https://www.reactphysics3d.com/
I don't know is any quick win is possible yet though

That looks like a complicated issue.

Maybe @ptitSeb has an idea for a temporary fix for it.

@ptitSeb

I know there was an issue with the missing loadjpeg_linux.cpp, but it was fixed by Brizzly27 3 days ago.

I checked on my Ubuntu, and it works well without this file.

Do you use the current version of Halloween from GitHub?

I hope it's not the issue that exists only on Debian.

Maybe, you should try to remove libjpeg-turbo from your system.

@ptitSeb

I know there was an issue with the missing loadjpeg_linux.cpp, but it was fixed by Brizzly27 3 days ago.

I checked on my Ubuntu, and it works well without this file.

Do you use the current version of Halloween from GitHub?

I hope it's not the issue that exists only on Debian.

Maybe, you should try to remove libjpeg-turbo from your system.
I used current github source. The "build" script reference this file, but I have tried the build without this one. I'll check if it works.

The Build script doesn't work anymore.

You should use cmake instead the Build script like in the Readme file.

cd Halloween3D/HalloweenSrc
mkdir Build
cd Build
cmake ..
make

I use this script to make it quicker:

Last edited:
I don't know. I wanted to do some perf analysis on the pandora, but I can't build upstream, there is a missing "loadjpeg_linux.cpp"
Update the repository I have deleted this file. Project uses jpeg.cpp instead mac/linux/pc.

I add a new github repository with asset (maps, textures, etc) exported from CDRom backup found in my archives
I wish I have exported all those max map files into a Blender map format..

Thank you.

So many awesome things to check out

I found missing videos cinematics.

However, I can't find these missing wav files for the Linux version of Halloween.

Thank you.

So many awesome things to check out

I found missing videos cinematics.

However, I can't find these missing wav files for the Linux version of Halloween.
I will complete as soon as I find another backup CDRoms in my parents home.
Thank you!
Blender OBJs export maps should be a good start for arranging a new better aligned game map format + renderer + collision engine :)

Back