Raptor: Call of the Shadows is now the open source project!

gbudny

Hi

Scott Host from Mountain King Studios informed me about releasing the source code for Raptor: Call of the Shadows.
I hope someone will be interested in porting this game to Linux x86-64/ARM(Pandora/Pyra).

It's one of the popular commercial games that was released for Linux in 2000.

Thank's for the good news...but unfortunately porting would need a big effort. This game is for Dos/windows and use ASM (x86 assembly code) in some routine...so not an easy task. I don't know if some Linux port exist.

The original Linux version from 2000 isn't available for sale anymore.

Scott is working on the more modern version of this game for Linux x86-64:

I know that the reverse-engineered port for Linux exists, and the author knows about it.

Unfortunately, Raptor created in this way isn't the same game, if we talk about a source code.

@Farox
Do you still have plans to make some small updates for Halloween: The New Nightmare?

Last edited:
I know that the reverse-engineered port for Linux exists, and the author knows about it.
Well we could start porting this code...hoping someone adapt the recently release source code for Dos to Linux with SDL, maybe already using the reverse-engineered one as a base.

About Halloween3D i didn't checked the github but there is some new features? I think we already are on par with the lastest changes.

Well we could start porting this code...hoping someone adapt the recently release source code for Dos to Linux with SDL, maybe already using the reverse-engineered one as a base.

About Halloween3D i didn't checked the github but there is some new features? I think we already are on par with the lastest changes.

Thank you for the answer.

I think that you should contact skynettx to make the porting process easier if you want to do it.

I don't know if the reverse-engineered port is using this source code. I ask Scott Host about it.

The original version for Linux was using SDL 1.1.

I didn't see any new features for Halloween3D, but a Linux port has one issue that probably don't exist in other versions. Halloween3D discards assigned keys when I change a screen resolution, which is weird.

Switching weapons using a mouse wheel is a great feature that is missing right now. I don't know if this problem exists in other versions.

Ok after a quick compile on my Linux Mint PC (after disabling some Joystick SDL code as i have an old revision of SDL Library in my system) i got the game compiled...it start and say Loading Graphics and nothing it exit.

After various attempt to find some valid graphics files (FILExxxx.GLB) i purchased the game from https://www.mking.com/ but i received only an .exe for Windows (i need to find a Win PC to install it), so i downloaded a release from the github https://github.com/skynettx/raptor
that contain the shareware release of the Datas...et voila! now the game run.
I have also compiled the Raptor Setup.

Next ...compile and run on Pyra and Pandora.

Thank's for the good news...but unfortunately porting would need a big effort. This game is for Dos/windows and use ASM (x86 assembly code) in some routine...so not an easy task. I don't know if some Linux port exist.

i had a very quick look, but the asm seems to be limited to blit for the graphics which wouldnt be useful for modern port.

Thanks to @gbudny for his work on making a contact with Scott Host (the original programmer of the game), and BIG thanks to Scott for gave to me
his old Linux source code (that remain closed), and for allowing me to distribute the original datas (full version) only for a Pandora and Pyra release, i could be able to release this game for Pandora...https://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=Raptor_farox

I'll made a proper thread about it...for now enjoy.

surprised_pyrachu.png

Wow, nice job Farox!
Thanks Scott!

Back