The Big Open Pandora Community Survey, 2014

If you're worried about teh googlez then just create a one-off account and have done with it, you morons.
As if I had nothing better to do than creating Google accounts.
The web is full of survey sites that allow voting without logging in, why choose one that forces this on people?
I actually have an account, but I still prefer not to feed them /all/ my data, what they have is enough.The problem is not when companies have my data, no way to avoid this. The problem is when one company has too much of it or even all of it.

Screenshot_2014_10_02_17_05_46.png
Nope.
What prevents you from creating a fake account just for this purpose? :p

Quite a good little survey, just finished mine, so is it true that the first 50 completed surveys get a free Pyra yeah?

Nice one, it said I was submission no. 36 :)

Go fill in your survey quick and get your FREE PYRA too!

...they'll never fall for that, will they? :) worth a try...

Huh.

I started filling out the survey and made it to page three, where I discovered that it's assumed I own a Pandora (you realise the company was OpenPandora, but the console itself is just called Pandora, right?).

Given that no, I do not in fact own a Pandora and thus cannot answer the questions about my Pandora purchasing decisions - and thus cannot complete the survey at all - does that then mean I'm not in fact part of "our Open Pandora community"?

Clearly if you'd mentioned that actually owning a Pandora was a prerequisite to completing this survey and implicitly being part of the community I'd never have wasted my time on attempting to help you out.

Thanks a lot.

Huh.

I started filling out the survey and made it to page three, where I discovered that it's assumed I own a Pandora (you realise the company was OpenPandora, but the console itself is just called Pandora, right?).

Given that no, I do not in fact own a Pandora and thus cannot answer the questions about my Pandora purchasing decisions - and thus cannot complete the survey at all - does that then mean I'm not in fact part of "our Open Pandora community"?

Clearly if you'd mentioned that actually owning a Pandora was a prerequisite to completing this survey and implicitly being part of the community I'd never have wasted my time on attempting to help you out.

Thanks a lot.
I should have mentioned that. Let me add an option to skip Pandora questions.

If you're worried about teh googlez then just create a one-off account and have done with it, you morons.

The web is full of survey sites that allow voting without logging in, why choose one that forces this on people?
Many reasons actually.

First most survey sites suck completely and lack features unless you get premium accounts. Please check for yourself if you dont believe me.

Google forms can do a lot more for free and exports to csv by default.

You can make forms in minutes with it while other ones are stuck in a 1994 web design space

I am another that will not create a new account anywhere just to fill out a survey.

The survey should have been on this site where all of us already have accounts.

58 answers so far, at the time of writing! Thanks to everyone who took some time to answer so far!

If we can manage to get to 100-200 answers, we'll have a good amount of data to do subset analysis and interesting subdivisions. Looking forward to more answers from members on these boards :)

I actually have an account, but I still prefer not to feed them /all/ my data, what they have is enough. The problem is not when companies have my data, no way to avoid this. The problem is when one company has too much of it or even all of it.
same, there's no way I'll link my phone account with any of my online activities... 

I actually have an account, but I still prefer not to feed them /all/ my data, what they have is enough. The problem is not when companies have my data, no way to avoid this. The problem is when one company has too much of it or even all of it.
same, there's no way I'll link my phone account with any of my online activities... 
You can always create a junk account. No obligation, but there are ways around the issue if you want to answer without linking to your main account. 

You can always create a junk account. No obligation, but there are ways around the issue if you want to answer without linking to your main account.
So I set up Tor, use an anonymous browser, create a new google account and then fill out your survey?Because if I don't do this then I could just use my normal google account. I would bet that they actually have measures in place to find out how many google accounts belong to the same person and to link them together internally.

Nope. I just don't participate, too lazy.

Because if I don't do this then I could just use my normal google account. I would bet that they actually have measures in place to find out how many google accounts belong to the same person and to link them together internally. Nope. I just don't participate, too lazy.
look, I'm willing to be very understanding towards people who have no google account and do not want to create one, but if you already have a google account, you are just being paranoid and you seriously underestimate significantly what Google already knows about you.

A combination of having full access to your Email communications, plus your browsing history (Google Analytics runs on like 90% of websites or something) makes it very easy for them to know who you are, how old you are, who your friends are, what your interests are, where you live, where you go out, WHEN you go out, what hardware you have, what games you play and purchased, what you like eating, that you have a Pandora, and for how long you have it, and how much connected you are to the community, and so on.

If you think Google is going to learn anything new from answering this survey, well you're just deeply mistaken. What this survey does is to share some knowledge with me (and I cannot identify who you are anyway because you don't have to put your name anywhere, I have no access to your IP or anything else either) and the community. If you don't want to answer, fine, I am not putting on gun on everyone's head to answer, but you don't have to come with over-the-top excuses and conspiracies theories about Google sucking your whole identify from such a simple survey.

And if you were seriously at all concerned with your Privacy, you probably shouldn't use Google at all, have no Smartphone or no phone altogether, use Tor from different connections points every time you connect (using Tor from the same place every time is extremely unsecure), and encrypt every email communication to your friends, If you aint doing any of that, your whole info is just widespread knowledge for whoever is interested to pick it up. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually have a question about the survey, not the state of the internet surveillance industry :)

"When did you aquire your first Pandora" - Does this refer to when I paid for it, or when it was delivered? Coz that is two very different years, that :D

Actually they only have access to about half of my email communications, I use RequestPolicy to block Google Analytics and I use Google search only once every couple of weeks.

I'm quite well aware of what they know about me, and it's not everything. But it's enough for me to start disliking them and their services and avoiding them where it doesn't take too much work.

So I set up Tor, use an anonymous browser, create a new google account and then fill out your survey?
Because if I don't do this then I could just use my normal google account. I would bet that they actually have measures in place to find out how many google accounts belong to the same person and to link them together internally.

Nope. I just don't participate, too lazy.

...And paranoid?   :)

This survey is only some Pandora, Linux and gaming related questions, with a couple personal detail [optional] questions like whether you live alone and currently in employment.

Google don't care much for this type info one way or the other I'm sure.

I think a lot of people get a bit carried away with the big brother thing and think they have a large overseeing eyeball floating over them all day long.

Don't really need to go through effort of setting up Tor and stuff really, I very much doubt Google care a toss whether you create a dud account for this or not. They worry about more important things I reckon eh

I once wrote an email, with my gmail account, where I explicitly said to a friend that "Google suck the big un"

...They've not sent the blacked out cars to my flat yet though :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I'm being pretty clear: I just don't like them.

I don't seriously think they'll use any of my information against me, but they /could/ and that's the problem.

Back