The Asus Eee Pc

finty

what is this
Website
Visit site
I have been reading about the eee pc and I am seriously thinking about getting one. They sound brilliant, a laptop that can be simply thrown in your school bag with your books!

The thing is I have also heard that they are going to release one with a larger screen and higher resoloution soon. I'm not sure which version to get, the current 7 inch one or the 8.9 inch future version. The wait is not a problem, I don't really need one until I go to Uni in septembre. What is a factor is size. Do you think the 8.9" version will be much larger than the current model?

I know there is a lot of unused space around the screen of the current one, so it shouldn't be too much bigger, right?

Also the new version will use some Intel Atom processor thingy. I've been away from the computer/gadgets scene for a while, will this actually make much difference? (Bear in mind I will play games on this as well as the boring old school stuff, I'm a gamer at heart after all ;))

I'm looking to maybe take one with me to Uni this year. The "baggable" concept of the device is very attractive. I think I'll wait for one with a larger screen and storage space first though.

Yeah, there is a comparison video on youtube. The two models are almost identical in size.

Which Uni are you going to? Which course?

With the price of SDHC cards so low these laptops seem like a brilliant deal. I wish the larger version was out already though, first gadget I've been excited about in a while.

finty said:
Yeah, there is a comparison video on youtube. The two models are almost identical in size.

Which Uni are you going to? Which course?

With the price of SDHC cards so low these laptops seem like a brilliant deal. I wish the larger version was out already though, first gadget I've been excited about in a while.
I'm hopefully going to Southampton Solent University to study Product Design with Marketing. I've been given a list of software required for the course, and so I really need the machine to run Windows XP, thus why I'm waiting for a larger HDD version.

I also saw a mod on how to modify the screen to make it touch-sensitive, which looked quite cool.

I agree about the price of SDHC Cards being pretty reasonable these days, but with prices for 32GB cards still being over £200, they are still not quite cheap enough, for higher capacity cards at least.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, I dunno about waiting for the HDD version. If you are mainly using it for Uni wouldn't ~12GB be enough? I mean obviously you are still going to have a PC to back up your work, right?

Anyway I'm not sure a HDD version has actually been anounced yet. The 8.9" versions are still using solid state memory. I think an Asus exec just mentioned that HDD was a plan for the future.

Sorry, I didn't mean larger HDD version. I meant something with a bit more flash memory, like 32gig or something.

Thinking about it though, I may as well just buy a cheap ext HDD to carry around with me.

I've got a 7" model (in fact I'm typing on it right now) and don't really need a bigger screen or better specs. It works great for a bit of internet, youtube, streaming radio, editing, Python, spreadsheets, fun etc.
I do expect a lot of people to sell their 7" model after the bigger model is launched. Could be a great moment to buy one cheap second hand.

To be honest, it's the bigger storage space I'm more interested in.

Fishbong said:
That´s awfully expensive for an 10cm USB cable.
You are right, but it is handmade and the guy gives a lot of support. He even explained how he makes them, so you can make the cable yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back