Asus Eee Pc... (i'm Shocked!) Handheld-sized

Don Miguel said:
People?

I think there was only 1 comparing comment. (consider it as a BAD joke)

heh. noone's seen Craiginator yet. How they could compare unseen things? 8))
I've seen it done several times now. To me Eee will always just be a bottom of the barrel laptop with a good price. If that's what you want then that's great, but it's not something new and exciting.

I admit, it's difficult to compete with a modern x86 CPU but I think at the clocks it's running at whatever craigix's device gets might at least be within respectable distance. What a CPU lacks in clock speed and advanced implementation it could make up in instruction set design.. maybe. I expect the video chipset to be competitive too, if not better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed, the CPU is not anything amazing and due to it being just a laptop CPU it doesn't achieve >3 hours of battery life, compared to an ARM device that can achieve 7-10 hours and in some cases more with proper power management.... the graphics chipset is mediocre as hell, the PowerVR SGX should easily surpass its capabilities.... I mean, if you're looking for a handheld anyway, I looked at this as a notebook and it's just too anemic and it's keyboard too tiny and uncomfortable looking for it to be worth my money. The biggest mistake of all IMHO is giving it 4 or 8 gb of expensive flash memory instead of a lightweight, faster and more effective (AND CHEAPER) laptop HDD. What were they thinking?

Also calling this handheld sized is laughable...

This is nice for some portable clasic pc games. It runs Quake 3, for example, and Starcraft.
Maybe DosBox, but i don't know for sure if the EEE CPU is enough for some dos games running in dosbox. Is it?

Also, can you install Win98 on it, so you can run all the dos games in native dos? The problem here are the lack of drivers for Win98. But can they be done, by someone skilled enough? Or is it out the question?

Couldn't resist the temptation and bought one. Will hopefully arrive next week. I've bought it in Taiwan because they don't sell it in the Netherlands yet. I'm always a bit scared something happens during transport though. :unsure:

If they put a swivel screen and touchscreen on this, it would've been AWESOME.

I would've got one of these if I didn't already have a laptop. I actually considered one instead of a GP2X, but because I already had a laptop I went with GP2X.

I have got a laptop also (from work) but don't really use it much privately. Normally it stays on one spot and is a sort of extra desktop. It takes a couple of minutes to start it up.
The eeepc starts in 20 seconds! That's even faster than the GP2X. It has got a reasonable keyboard and will be much more convenient to type on than the craigx.
I think I will use it as a brainstorm device, maybe some PDA functions, typing, learning some programming, and installing all kind of distros. Don't think it will be better for gaming purposes than the GP2X or Craigx so it will not replace them.

Could you code on the go on one of these? If so, then that would help my learning stage.
Not to mention, play some half-life.
Pretty sure the 8GB version is out at end of November, and the 10" screen version is next year.

LevelPlane said:
Could you code on the go on one of these? If so, then that would help my learning stage.
Not to mention, play some half-life.
The eeepc can run a full featured Linux desktop or XP so it's like asking can you code on Linux or XP.
There are some great projects already, an adjusted Fedora (EeeDora). Eee Linux OS is very promising (debian tweaked for the eeepc) and eeeXubuntu. For the Windows fanboys ;) it is also possible to add XP and tweak it so it is pretty fast.

More info: http://wiki.eeeuser.com/ http://www.forum.eeeuser.com

Ok, it's just I had a friend who pointed out all the cons he could think of about it. I said something about "coding"
and he gave a reason for why it's bad on the 900mhz. So that solves that, and wraps up my number one Christmas item.
I'm also assuming it plays Warcraft III, and some MMO's easily.
Too bad about the extra pci slot being removed....

LevelPlane said:
Ok, it's just I had a friend who pointed out all the cons he could think of about it. I said something about "coding"
and he gave a reason for why it's bad on the 900mhz. So that solves that, and wraps up my number one Christmas item.
I really hope you know that it doesn't have a cd/dvd drive of any sort.

It comes with 3 USB 2.0 ports and it reads 16 GB SDHC cards just fine. You can get an external optical drive to read CD or DVD's.

Its not a bad product for maybe a kid or a senior citizen that wants a laptop, not to bright on the tech side yet you dont wanna give em a $1K laptop. But for emulation handheld purposes not my cup of tea, im sticking with wibrain.

The EEE PC is definitely the pioneer of what will be the mass-marketed laptop standard. I hope the 10" model will have the same case as the 7" one, because the thick vertical borders around the screen look awkward. Once the 10" hits the market, maybe they'll also drop the price of this one, $200 sounds about right for it :)

Alex. said:
The EEE PC is definitely the pioneer of what will be the mass-marketed laptop standard. I hope the 10" model will have the same case as the 7" one, because the thick vertical borders around the screen look awkward. Once the 10" hits the market, maybe they'll also drop the price of this one, $200 sounds about right for it :)
I absolutely agree with you, the borders around the screen are a deal killer for me.

OMars said:
LevelPlane said:
I really hope you know that it doesn't have a cd/dvd drive of any sort.

Yes, thats why I would buy some SD(HC) cards.
Looks like Pandora might be more then this will be. So I'll wait.

norm said:
eee pc with touch screen: http://jkkmobile.blogspot.com/2007/12/asus...uch-screen.html

totally getting one next month :)

I have seen this video before, don't want to risk damaging mine though. Are you planning on adding a touch screen yourself?

I think it is a great tiny laptop, with great features, it is totally different than the gp2x or pandora. You can use this for more intense typing, and can install a full ubuntu desktop (I have tried eeeXubuntu and it works great).
Firefox works like a charm, within a minute (cold boot) I can start xandros and am online.
It is not made for gaming, so you need an extra joystick or mouse to play games comfortably.

Not only for geeks. It is very practical and has an intuitive gui.

norm said:
yer doesn't look very complicated. gotta get my eee pc first (in about two weeks roughly)

does ubuntu have any touch screen support?
I've seen some successful reports. The linux kernel should recognize the touch screen and you should be able to use the screen as a mouse.

I'm very interested in the results if you managed to get it all working.

Back