Asus Eee 1001P Emulation Quality?

CUPC4KES

THERE IS ONLY ONE TRUTH.....
Website
Visit site
Im looking at getting one of these:

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/14918483/Asus-Eee-PC-1001-P-CPW-BK025-Seashell-Intel-Atom-N450-1-66GHz-1GB-160GB-10-Windows-7-Starter-Netbook-Laptop-Black/Product.html

and just wondered if the specs are good enough for more or less full speed ps1 emulation (and emulation in general), i have googled and youtubed this but only find videos from a couple of years ago where it runs a bit slow, thanks for any advice

I just got the ASUS Eee Box EB1006 as an impulse buy from woot.com as it was 89 off what newegg had it as. I have to say that I am not liking the Atom chip too much. It is slow and sluggish, I got it to run XBMC media center and it can't run 720p video without jerkiness. Also, mine has a dedicated GPU and it still doesn't hack it. I ordered a 2 gig memory module for it and it should be here in a week, I hope it helps.

I don't think the one you linked to will play PSX as it has intel graphics and I know you'll be buying more memory, $50 US for 2 gigs, so you have to add that into the price as well. Atom sucks, x86 was never meant to be low power, it just turns out to be low power use with extremely low horse power.

For the same price as these eee systems you can find a small notebook with a real processor and a dedicated GPU. Battery life won't be as good but it will work for PSX and have a slightly larger screen. I'd find someone who has one and ask them how they like it for emulating before I'd get one for that. I'm guessing not good since you can't find anything on it.

Mine has a dedicated GPU so I'll try it but I won't hold my breath for PSX, but it will do SNES, NES, Genesis, pretty much everything below PSX. It will be nice plugged into my TV playing all those systems.

EDIT: And with this post I'm l337.

That said, I can't imagine a higher performance PS1 emulator with software rendering would struggle immensely on a 1.6GHz Atom.

Wait, when did that get bumped to 1.66GHz? Weird, I wonder if they're using a different FSB speed now or something.

I would recommend the Pandora but it isn't on the cheap side. It is sad that a lowly ARM chip can out preform a mighty x86 chip in just about everything. I really dislike the Atom chip, intel is just taking us for a ride. . .

I would just get a cheap notebook, I see them for around 300 here and there that have the specks to do PSX and sometimes have HDMI so you can use them on a HDTV. I would get a Pandora or wait for another gaming handheld that will do PSX or get a notebook with a real x86 chip and dedicated CPU. Just steer clear of anything Atom based.

second exodous said:
I just got the ASUS Eee Box EB1006 as an impulse buy from woot.com as it was 89 off what newegg had it as. I have to say that I am not liking the Atom chip too much. It is slow and sluggish, I got it to run XBMC media center and it can't run 720p video without jerkiness. Also, mine has a dedicated GPU and it still doesn't hack it. I ordered a 2 gig memory module for it and it should be here in a week, I hope it helps.

I don't think the one you linked to will play PSX as it has intel graphics and I know you'll be buying more memory, $50 US for 2 gigs, so you have to add that into the price as well. Atom sucks, x86 was never meant to be low power, it just turns out to be low power use with extremely low horse power.

For the same price as these eee systems you can find a small notebook with a real processor and a dedicated GPU. Battery life won't be as good but it will work for PSX and have a slightly larger screen. I'd find someone who has one and ask them how they like it for emulating before I'd get one for that. I'm guessing not good since you can't find anything on it.

Mine has a dedicated GPU so I'll try it but I won't hold my breath for PSX, but it will do SNES, NES, Genesis, pretty much everything below PSX. It will be nice plugged into my TV playing all those systems.

EDIT: And with this post I'm l337.

I built an HTPC out of a Zotac Ion motherboard and it works great. Plays 1080p no problem. Haven't done any emulating on it yet really, but for watching videos it is perfect. My Acer Timeline laptop struggles with 1080p video despite having a ULV Core2Duo vs. the Zotac's Atom 330, but the Ion vs. the 4500 is the difference maker.

Last edited by a moderator:
second exodous said:
It is sad that a lowly ARM chip can out preform a mighty x86 chip in just about everything.

???

A 600MHz Cortex-A8 can't beat a 1.66GHz Atom in anything. Even at the same clock the OMAP3 is hurt by its memory bus and the programs are hurt by inferior compilation (IMO) and slow scalar FPU.

CUPC4KES said:
so the eee pc will be ok for ps1 emulation? im a bit confused
@ CUPC4KES: If it doesn't have a dedicated GPU(graphics processing unit, i.e. nVidia or ATI) then there is no way it emulate PS1. Intel integrated graphics suck, so unless there is a ATI or nVidia sticker on it then no. Mine can't play PS1 at all, but I'll try again when I get the extra memory.

@ Ravnos: You have both a better CPU and a GPU than I have and what Cupc4kes is looking at. How much memory do you have? I'm reading reviews on what I have right now and it looks like I'll be fine with more memory, so I'm hopeful. I checked my mail yesterday and still nothing, I'll check tonight and post here if I get it.

@ Exophase: I said everything but I didn't mean it, sorry, just a little frustrated at my situation now, it was an over-reaction. I still think in the low-power category the Cortex will win, if the Pandora emulates PS1 and the XBMC team gets 720p to run flawlessly on 600MHz CPU with 512 megs of ram where my 1.6GHz CPU with 1 gig of ram can't cut it I'm just going to say x86 is not meant for low power in anyway. From what I'm reading about Atom (user experience, not speck sheets) there is no advantage to getting a low power x86 platform over a ARM platform unless you absolutely need to have your fluffy warm Microsoft security blanket(lol, security meaning to make you feel good, in no way did I mean internet security).

EDIT:

Grr, I got my memory a few days ago and have tried everything, multiple Linux OSes with minimal install and this thing is still not fast enough to cut it. I even put in a faster HD to see if that would speed things up. It is just barely not fast enough to play 720p. Reading reviews they never say it works great with 720p, just video, so I think they aren't using HD files.

Well, I'm going to sell it on e-bay to see if I can break even. So far I've spent $250 US ($200 for the box + $50 for the memory) plus the drive I put in which is 320 gig, twice the size of the 160 gig, but that costs $35 brand new. So, on my e-bay listing I'll list it as '2x memory and HD space' or whatever to try to get the $250 back. The drive I'm not too concerned with, it's a spare I had laying around that I use to try out new distros. Seeing as a new box with half as much memory and HD space sells for $285 on average I hope to get my money back.

Yeah, steer clear of the older Atoms and try to get an nVidia ION if you get an Atom machine.

Back