!new! Jisus Vs Eeepc

Don Miguel

Certified Guru
Website
famesoft.ru
Dutch integrator Van Der Led (VDL) Designs has announced a clone of the Asus Eee PC ultra-mini PC (UMPC) notebook. The WiFi-enabled "Jisus" UMPC is equipped with a Chinese-made 1GHz Loongson CPU, has an 8.9-inch display, and runs Ubuntu Linux.

The unusual name may be intended to remind shoppers of Asus, the better-known brand responsible for the popular Eee mini-notebook. Or, it may be derived from the device's Loongson 2F CPU: the Loongson was code-named "Godson" by its developers in the CAS (Chinese Academy of Sciences) in the People's Republic of China. The Linux-oriented CPU is based on a derivative of the MIPS64 architecture, albeit without patented portions, such as unaligned 32-bit load/store support.

vdl_jisus-sm.jpg

Five designs of the Jisus

Like the 900MHz Asus Eee PC 4G, the Jisus is equipped with 512MB RAM, 4GB of flash, Ethernet, WiFi, a webcam, and stereo speakers. However, it offers only two USB ports instead of three. The mini-notebook sports a larger 8.9-inch display like the newly announced Asus Eee PC 900, but it's limited to the original's 800 x 480 VGA resolution instead of the 900's 1024 x 600 display. The display is controlled by a Silicon Motions SM712 graphics processor.

At $470, the Jisus is priced closer to the $400 Eee PC 4G than to the $600 Eee PC 900, which also added more RAM (1GB) and flash storage (8-12GB). The notebook comes in a variety of colors and designs, and was integrated in the Netherlands with components fabricated both locally and in other countries, says VDL Designs, a Dutch technology integrator and online retailer that specializes in LED lighting.

Asus Eee PC 900
(Click for details)

VDL Designs lists the following specifications for the Jisus:
Processor -- 1GHz 64-Bit Loongson 2F

Memory -- 512MB DDR2-667

Flash -- 4GB Nand flash

Display -- 8.9-inch LCD (800 x 480 pixels) with LED backlighting; Silicon Motions SM712 graphics; VGA port

Networking -- 1 x 10/100 Ethernet (Realtek 8139 contoller); RJ45 port

WiFi -- 1 x 802.11b/g

USB -- 2 x USB 2.0 ports

Audio -- 1 x mic port; 1 x two-channel earphone port; stereo speakers

Battery -- 4.5 hours

Operating system -- Ubuntu Linux (other Linux distros possible)
Availability

The Jisus will be released in Europe on April 25th, says VDL Designs, and will be in stock on May 25th, for a price of 300 Euros (currently about $470). More information may be found here.

-----------------------
http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS3257992292.html
the source...

actually, i've got news in Russian.. but had to find it in English....

PS die, eeePC ^_-

Interesting. If I hadn't bought an eeepc yet I would have be very tempted to go for this one. I doubt the Ubuntu distro will be as fast and polished as the Xandros distro, so I should wait for reviews before buying it.

I'm not so convinced on the performance on the Jisus. I've heard a lot about the so-called dragon processor, but nothing really too positive.

I think the ASUS Eee PC 700 outclasses this easily, no worries. (Minus the battery life)

Hey, does the Eee PC 700 have LED backlighting?

Back