THE 64 - Computer and Handheld Console

There might be some people out there interested in the mini for various reasons, however it seems totally pointless to get molds made for custom cases, and include a totally useless keyboard looking section. The only benefit that has imo is as a sculpture, and seems like a waste of desk space. Maybe that is enough for some people, and they don't want something full size with usable keyboard, which would take up even more space.

I still kinda want a real C64.

Gideon is producing the ultimate 64 board soon. It's an fpga board with dual SID socket and modern connectivity. It also has the 1541 ultimate incorporated so I think it's all one needs to push the 64 legacy through the next 35 years. :D
Even though I have 5 C64's I'm pretty sure I'll get me one of those too. :oops:

Www.1541ultimate.net

TBH, you're going to be spoilt for choice soon.

Individual computers hinted to me about a full computer, which I'm guessing will be the Turbo Chameleon in a fullsize case with keyboard etc. - Which will be amazing too, as I really like my Chameleon.
You also have the Mega65, which has a C64 compatible mode, but is designed around the Commodore C65. So higher resolution, processor speeds, memory etc.

I don't know how big the market is for all of these competing devices. I guess we'll see. The hard part will be deciding which one to buy, unless you're crazy enough to buy them all.

Someone needs to buy them all so they can compare them all to help those of us trying to decide which (if any) is best for our planned use.
[doublepost=1505213307,1505213009][/doublepost]Oh, and I am pretty sure the C64 is the most popular computer from back then, with probably several times the potential customer base of any of the others. Whenever I look at what is available I wish there was that much for Apple IIs (which also have a lot available).

I played with a Turbo Chameleon a little at X'16, Real nice indeed.
I sponsored the mega65 a little for I don't know what... The C64 is for me, more about it's scene, limitations/possibilities and history, those combined are at a level the Mega65 will not ever reach and maybe those boundries should stay intact.

So "authentic compatibility", and max convenience/connectivity would be the key to success I think.

I bought the dev board the Mega65 uses and chipped in for a copy of the bitstream. It's going to have a network port, so you can do things like network play over two devices, and simple servers. I think it has great potential, but the downside is lack of C65 specific software; and unless it gets a good uptake from developers, I think it'll suffer badly. There's already a weird situation where you have to enter C64 mode to mount a disk image. I know it's not finished yet, but a very bizarre situation to be in.

I've never used a 1541Ultimate-II, but it's feature list looks pretty good, especially ethernet port (says FTP server, which I assume will let you upload D64 files from your PC to the storage device) and REU support. Does anyone know if it supports CPU acceleration too?

It's an awesome 1541 emulator and a very nice "file starting" cartridge which mounts and starts just about anything. For the "cartridge" part it relies on the CRT file you load, standard it comes with the Action Replay 6 image in place but an EZ flash game cart will work just as well.
On the X parties we run our demo compo's on C64's with 1541U2's. With the track loaders used in modern demo's I wouldn't see us do it (compatibility wise) with anything else except the original drive of course :D
Now with this telnet client connection we can swap disk sides without interrupting the demo with a cartridge SD card browser, just like flipping a real flop. :)
It can also have a telnet and ftp client open at the same time so I indeed just upload directly to the cart's SD and start it without even touching the C64 itself.

The U2 can not emulate superCPU unfortunately but who knows what the Ultimate64 will bring which is supposed to have the 1541U2 integrated but as it's all FPGA based, I guess a SuperCPU setup would be a possibility.

I'd say, the U2 is about all one needs to modernise their C64 without altering the machine itself. I have my original drive right here but to be honest, I haven't used it in ages, the U2 just replaces all peripherals for a comfortable fast experience while maintaining compatibility.

The TC64 also works as a reset cartridge and disk drive, but also supports cpu acceleration (akin to the SuperCPU). It lacks an ethernet port, which is something I think would just top it off nicely. It does have an IR port though, and supports the CDTV controller (which comes with the TC).
It sounds like what would be the real "Ultimate64" would be a merger of feature sets between the two :p
Either way, as they are both FPGA, I am still hoping one day I can figure out enough to build myself a new core. Not touched VHDL in a while though now, after getting a bit stuck.

One of the other random project thoughts I had was making a cartridge that connects to a Raspberry Pi (Zero), like how the SpectrumNext are using one for an accerator; but was more thinking about peripherals than processor (ie, supporting USB joysticks, ethernet, wifi, bluetooth)... but yeah, I'll probably never do that project

Major Update on the "The C64" project today:

"THEC64 – Indiegogo Backers and Pre-Orders – 28th September 2017

We’re always keen to keep backers informed of the latest developments here at THEC64 HQ. We hope that today’s update makes you happy. If you have any questions after reading this exciting announcement, you know that we’re always happy to communicate – so ask away!

Most of you will know that we didn’t reach our original target for Indiegogo funding, but that has never stopped us from making progress – we’ve always been determined not to let a single backer down. So we carried on working hard, sat down at the table and came up with a new plan. We managed to find a global business partner who would help us deliver the console to backers and to the retail market.

Part of the new plan was conceiving more versions of THEC64, necessitating an alteration to our original timeline and business plan. In conversations with retailers it has become clear that the wider retail market is demanding THEC64 MINI more so than our full-size design. Putting this MINI model first in the production timeline will mean that not only will we have the capital to deliver to the backers and pre-order customers that have supported us, but that we will also give them far more than the product they originally paid for.

To show our thanks to all those who have supported us, and who have had the kind patience to put up with the timescales which have admittedly been longer than anticipated, we’d like to make the following announcement:
Everyone who backed the original Indiegogo campaign by backing a console, or pre-ordered a console from our website prior to today will not only get their full size THEC64 but ALSO a special limited edition THEC64 MINI games console set.

This bonus gift to you all consists of:

• THEC64 MINI console

• a classic-styled USB joystick

• special limited edition packaging featuring artwork by David Rowe

The special edition slip cover artwork has been commissioned by us from the legendary retro games cover artist David Rowe – www.davidrowe.net

Our aim is to delivery THEC64 MINI console set to Indiegogo backers and pre-order supporters in time for Christmas 2017. At this stage we are still completing and testing the firmware, so we must stop short of guaranteeing this date – if we do miss it, we will deliver as early in the New Year as we can; we feel as a team that honesty is better than broken promises. Regardless, we assure you that you will be given this bonus gift before commencement of retail sales.

Once the global launch of THEC64 MINI has been completed, we will switch our focus back to the full-size keyboard model of THEC64, with our aim to deliver to you all in early 2018. We appreciate that any delay from an original estimate is disappointing, but we hope that THEC64 MINI will keep your thumbs twiddling until then.

What about those who backed the tier for/pre-ordered the handheld version?

We very much still intend to create the handheld version of the console; we believe it will be amazing. But retail demands have meant that to ensure delivery of all unit types, the handheld has been pushed far back in the production timeline.

We hate the thought of handheld backers being empty-handed though, so our gift-giving will go even further! We’d therefore like to announce:

Anyone who backed the handheld version or pre-ordered it prior to today will instead be given both THEC64 MINI and a full-size THEC64 plus bonus goodies.

This means that you’ll be getting:

• A special limited edition THEC64 MINI package, as described above

• PLUS a full sized THEC64

• PLUS a signed and numbered, limited edition print of the commissioned artwork by David Rowe

• PLUS the promise that when we are able to focus on the handheld, you’ll get a significant discount if you decide to purchase one on release.

We believe that we should only promise what we know we can deliver; this is why we feel it necessary to substitute the handheld version with the above set. Because we cannot give you a reasonable estimate on the delivery date of a handheld, we’d rather not keep you waiting for months without solid news. We therefore hope that you feel that you’re getting good value for your money… yet if you are unhappy for any reason please speak to us, you know we’re a small and friendly team who do their best to communicate honestly and openly.

A big THANK YOU to all backers and pre-order customers for your amazing support of our journey so far. There’ll be even more news soon, so please do keep a look-out!

THEC64 - team over and out."

Major Update on the "The C64" project today:

"THEC64 – Indiegogo Backers and Pre-Orders – 28th September 2017

We’re always keen to keep backers informed of the latest developments here at THEC64 HQ. We hope that today’s update makes you happy. If you have any questions after reading this exciting announcement, you know that we’re always happy to communicate – so ask away!

Most of you will know that we didn’t reach our original target for Indiegogo funding, but that has never stopped us from making progress – we’ve always been determined not to let a single backer down. So we carried on working hard, sat down at the table and came up with a new plan. We managed to find a global business partner who would help us deliver the console to backers and to the retail market.

Part of the new plan was conceiving more versions of THEC64, necessitating an alteration to our original timeline and business plan. In conversations with retailers it has become clear that the wider retail market is demanding THEC64 MINI more so than our full-size design. Putting this MINI model first in the production timeline will mean that not only will we have the capital to deliver to the backers and pre-order customers that have supported us, but that we will also give them far more than the product they originally paid for.

To show our thanks to all those who have supported us, and who have had the kind patience to put up with the timescales which have admittedly been longer than anticipated, we’d like to make the following announcement:
Everyone who backed the original Indiegogo campaign by backing a console, or pre-ordered a console from our website prior to today will not only get their full size THEC64 but ALSO a special limited edition THEC64 MINI games console set.

This bonus gift to you all consists of:

• THEC64 MINI console

• a classic-styled USB joystick

• special limited edition packaging featuring artwork by David Rowe

The special edition slip cover artwork has been commissioned by us from the legendary retro games cover artist David Rowe – www.davidrowe.net

Our aim is to delivery THEC64 MINI console set to Indiegogo backers and pre-order supporters in time for Christmas 2017. At this stage we are still completing and testing the firmware, so we must stop short of guaranteeing this date – if we do miss it, we will deliver as early in the New Year as we can; we feel as a team that honesty is better than broken promises. Regardless, we assure you that you will be given this bonus gift before commencement of retail sales.

Once the global launch of THEC64 MINI has been completed, we will switch our focus back to the full-size keyboard model of THEC64, with our aim to deliver to you all in early 2018. We appreciate that any delay from an original estimate is disappointing, but we hope that THEC64 MINI will keep your thumbs twiddling until then.

What about those who backed the tier for/pre-ordered the handheld version?

We very much still intend to create the handheld version of the console; we believe it will be amazing. But retail demands have meant that to ensure delivery of all unit types, the handheld has been pushed far back in the production timeline.

We hate the thought of handheld backers being empty-handed though, so our gift-giving will go even further! We’d therefore like to announce:

Anyone who backed the handheld version or pre-ordered it prior to today will instead be given both THEC64 MINI and a full-size THEC64 plus bonus goodies.

This means that you’ll be getting:

• A special limited edition THEC64 MINI package, as described above

• PLUS a full sized THEC64

• PLUS a signed and numbered, limited edition print of the commissioned artwork by David Rowe

• PLUS the promise that when we are able to focus on the handheld, you’ll get a significant discount if you decide to purchase one on release.

We believe that we should only promise what we know we can deliver; this is why we feel it necessary to substitute the handheld version with the above set. Because we cannot give you a reasonable estimate on the delivery date of a handheld, we’d rather not keep you waiting for months without solid news. We therefore hope that you feel that you’re getting good value for your money… yet if you are unhappy for any reason please speak to us, you know we’re a small and friendly team who do their best to communicate honestly and openly.

A big THANK YOU to all backers and pre-order customers for your amazing support of our journey so far. There’ll be even more news soon, so please do keep a look-out!

THEC64 - team over and out."
Hmm I guess the subtext of that is the full version may never be released, as they'll never get the funding for it.

Who or where are these people asking for the mini in much greater numbers than the full size or handheld? Perhaps because of my personal preferences I just don't see it.

An alternative solution would be to combine the mini and handheld as a single product so that it can be plugged in and used as a mini console, or used on the go.

If I had backed them I would be seriously questioning what I had done. And them, for obvious reasons. Maybe I don't understand the retro gaming community as much I think I do. Even I, as an outsider of this project, am irritated with that update.

To anyone that backed them or was interested, sorry guys. I know it sucks.

will not only get their full size THEC64 but ALSO a special limited edition THEC64 MINI games console set
So they couldn't secure enough funding to build the original devices, so now they're focusing on a pick-me-up model, which they will be giving dozens away for free along with the fullsize one they have yet to make enough money for...

Oh, magical money man in the sky, how do you calculate such numbers? :)

An alternative solution would be to combine the mini and handheld as a single product so that it can be plugged in and used as a mini console, or used on the go
Well, I kinda figured the handheld version would have tv out, though maybe not spare joystick ports. I'm not sure how the people who specifically backed the handheld will appreciate being fobbed off with what is almost a RaspPi in a tiny C64-style case. It's not even as though it's a similar device. It has a different use case and everything

So they couldn't secure enough funding to build the original devices, so now they're focusing on a pick-me-up model, which they will be giving dozens away for free along with the fullsize one they have yet to make enough money for...

Oh, magical money man in the sky, how do you calculate such numbers? :)

Well, I kinda figured the handheld version would have tv out, though maybe not spare joystick ports. I'm not sure how the people who specifically backed the handheld will appreciate being fobbed off with what is almost a RaspPi in a tiny C64-style case. It's not even as though it's a similar device. It has a different use case and everything
Great points. They could add a port, perhaps with adapter or special edition joystick, and an idiotic tiny C64 style cover to protect the screen and controls, and that should make both the handheld and mini customers happy. Shifting my perspective from the backers as trying to support the project to preorder customers, if I were in for the handheld I would be pretty pissed. I would definitely be demanding my money back. Was this a planned bait and switch from the beginning? It just doesn't make any sense that they are doing it this way. To me it seems they aren't planning to do the full size version, so really they wouldn't be giving anything away...again, as a preorderer for that, I would be demanding my money back. If I was proven wrong by time I might (highly doubtful due to lack of loyalty to customers and early backers) buy the product I originally wanted when it was released.

Maybe the magic money fairy will sprinkle some of that cash in my direction, and I can direct him toward ED to help speed things up and get us a Pyra Fone (please, ED, if that happens don't scrap the original version for the smartphone version, not that I really feel you would consider such a thing). Might as well throw some love toward the Neo900 people too (is that still a thing?).

I think this is shadier than the RetroVGS/Chameleon bullshit. Why do so few in the retro gaming community have any balls? At least there are some open and honest ones out there.

Actually I totally belive the demand for the mini. Look at the NES Classic etc, people can't get enough of them, literaly. So yeah, I can see that point and I can see why an investor would want to just fund that.

But yeah, you have to wonder about the whole campaign to start with, did they have the investor at the beginning and know they needed to release the mini first. If so, why wasn't that conveyed to backers in the campaign page.

I suppose it's good that they are trying to make good though

No word on who this global business partner is. Are they supplementing the project with additional funds or just distributors I wonder.

Do you not find something a bit off about this? This is a guy is one of the biggest critiques on the VEGA+, yet he's here positively pumping THEC64. What with some overlap between the two projects, it just doesn't seem quite right to me.
I'm not saying you can't like one thing, and not another, but, I don't know...

Don't forget how critical one or more of the directors of the C64 have been . Two of them being Ex directors in RCL behind the Vega+. One if which has also been to court with RCL

Don't forget how critical one or more of the directors of the C64 have been . Two of them being Ex directors in RCL behind the Vega+. One if which has also been to court with RCL
Precisely, which in my eyes casts shadows of doubt on the whole FunkySpectrum channel as an impartial source of information... Not that I really watch the channel anyway

Back