THE 64 - Computer and Handheld Console

Ian J

Advanced Member
I suppose after the Sinclair Vega it was only a matter of time before a C=64 equivalent came out.

Official Site

Indiegogo Campaign

EDIT:

The more I see of this the less I like it, no 9 pin ports for joysticks, just USB :(

Last edited:
A 64 Handheld whitout Built In Keyboard??? Whitout me..

I like the Pandora more for C64, because i can listen to the Giana Sisters sid Soundtrack via Audacity..

Reactions: rSl
I didn't see the specs. Did I miss them?

Sadly no but it's designer has "previous":

THE 64 ™ project is headed up by video game industry veteran Darren Melbourne who conceptualized and bought to market the C64DTV ™ console as well as dozens of other game related products during a video games career that has spanned over thirty years.
[doublepost=1460653527,1460652427][/doublepost]
A 64 Handheld whitout Built In Keyboard??? Whitout me..

100% Agree.

People that say "here's the latest Pandora / Pyra beater" when the device they are promoting doesn't have a keyboard are missing the point of the Pandora and the Pyra.

I've run C64 and ZX Spectrum software that required keyboard inputs fine.

Last edited:
Only thing lacking in vice on the openpandora is the keyboard lay-out, but yeah... how tempting it may look, I have 4 real C64's and a Pandora + Pyra(soon)...
No need for another dedicated console.

I'm thinking an atari and then an amiga version are due sometime soon. I would not buy unless it did the miggy justice.
[doublepost=1460659070,1460658497][/doublepost]Interesting but not for me, not that I can afford either variant anyways.

btw... I thought the DTV was Jerri Elsworth her project... Or was that the C-one?
when i remember correctly, she was involved in both projects.
coolest projects for me were her c64 bass guitar and the castar glasses.

Seriously: What's the point?
Those things don't make any sense.
Press F1 for one player, press F3 for 2 players... oh wait...

some games are turn based, but they have a dedicated joystick, so player one on port 1 and player 2 on port 2 (I LOVE that feeling of getting your turn again, and the joystick is already in your hand...)... so unless they do some touchscreen voodoo...
connecting the build-in pad to both also doesnt work with some games... just look how much we need to configure before we can play a C64 on the Pandora...
As such, for 150 euro it seems rather limited (for the same price you get/got a Pandora Classic, which can ALSO play all these games... and emulate other devices)

The bigger C64 is nice. Although I am fond of the newer model (that white one). Indeed, have to shell out extra to buy these joystick adapters... I do not think that is a dealbreaker. What I would like to know is what is has under the hood (raspberry PI, or dedicated board).

There's also the C64 reloaded and original breadbox cases are available to buy- you can put together a new c64 pretty easily now, I believe.
That case in the campaign is inspired by the c64 case but not an exact replica. I guess the handheld version may have more appeal.

What I would like to know is what is has under the hood (raspberry PI, or dedicated board).
Yep, without that I don't know what I consider the value of these to be. If they merely updated the original design (doesn't seem like it) I think I would consider paying more than if it is just modern hardware and emulation.

What if it was the original hardware re-implemented in modern hardware? ie, the exact same functionality but in say, an FPGA? Or for that matter what would be the difference between that and re-implementing the original hardware in a different medium? Like maybe in software?

The difference between a simple software emulation of a system like this and an FPGA simulation is that the software parses the machine op code and either explicitly or implicitly modifies the emulated machine state. A FPGA uses analogues of the original gates to parse and execute the opcodes so it stands a better chance of doing that the same way, and writes its states out to physical flip flops (in the case of its registers) or lines connected to a physical RAM chip.

But personally, for my needs, an emulator is more than good enough for my needs of emulating preexisting software, and maybe a little light BASIC coding. For people that are developing their own software and need timing information I can see how it might have more value, but anything you coded using that probably wouldn't work on emulators of the day until they were patched, and the nature of an FPGA means it's still not quite the same as the real thing - I assume you don't implement the clock edge detection that converts the wave form of the quartz clock crystal into a series of pips that start and keep the processor going, and there are other facets of the FPGA that aren't going to be quite the same as a CPU made in the 1980s.

All I want is something with 100% compatibility and HDMI output pre up-scaled, is that too much to ask ;)

i somehow like the colour of the handheld version. maybe it would be nice for the pyra too? ;)

Didn't realise this was for two seperate devices. I thought it was just a handheld thing. Still tempted for a Mega65 over this...

Back