The $3 Usd Shipped Sd Card Reader

I just ordered one. Its a great deal. But I have a question.

Has anyone used this reader with 4 gb cards?

My Card Reader was Working fine with the 256mb (sandisk)512mb (Sandisk)and 2 gb cards(Trancend 150x) Ive been using. I finally (after a month of waiting...longer story) got a 4 gb trancend 150x card and I formatted it no problem, it saw all 4 gb of space and formatted just fine with my reader. I started moving all my stuff from my 2gb card and there was an error during transfer of DrMD and the transfer crashed. All of about 510 mb had been written. theres no trouble with the data transfered -it works on my 2X. But now when I try to reformat or copy files to it, my system crashes/blue screen error msg and after ok'ing a couple of times it either says theres no card in the reader or that it has been locked by some utility. Likewise it will not let me run scandisk either with my reader. My reader was purchased 2 years ago and worked fine until now. I'm leaning toward the reader not supporting 4 gb cards but ???...it did format/scan and tranfer files at first. So I bought this one in the hopes that this will solve the problem.......Comments?

Just tried it with my 4GB A-Data MyFlash Turbo 150X...

Works great. I imagine it will work with others too.

(I'm putting a $90 piece of electronics in a $3 piece of electronics... kinda wierd.)

Morpheus384 posted on Aug 4 2006 at 09:38 PM said:

My Card Reader was Working fine with the 256mb (sandisk)512mb (Sandisk)and 2 gb cards(Trancend 150x) Ive been using. I finally (after a month of waiting...longer story) got a 4 gb trancend 150x card and I formatted it no problem, it saw all 4 gb of space and formatted just fine with my reader. I started moving all my stuff from my 2gb card and there was an error during transfer of DrMD and the transfer crashed. All of about 510 mb had been written. theres no trouble with the data transfered -it works on my 2X. But now when I try to reformat or copy files to it, my system crashes/blue screen error msg and after ok'ing a couple of times it either says theres no card in the reader or that it has been locked by some utility. Likewise it will not let me run scandisk either with my reader. My reader was purchased 2 years ago and worked fine until now. I'm leaning toward the reader not supporting 4 gb cards but ???...it did format/scan and tranfer files at first. So I bought this one in the hopes that this will solve the problem.......Comments?

I also have a 4gb Transcend 150x SD card. It works with the $3 reader just fine.

You should try disabling USB Enhanced Host Controller in your Device Manager and reformatting the card using USB 1.1. Afterward, just reenable the Enhanced Host Controller.

Last edited by a moderator:
HACHA posted on Aug 5 2006 at 06:17 PM said:
Morpheus384 posted on Aug 4 2006 at 09:38 PM said:

I also have a 4gb Transcend 150x SD card. It works with the $3 reader just fine.

You should try disabling USB Enhanced Host Controller in your Device Manager and reformatting the card using USB 1.1. Afterward, just reenable the Enhanced Host Controller.

Thanx for the feedback guys, its much appreciated.

I'll try the above and see what happens, but I cant wait for the 3.00 reader.

Just doubling as a thumb drive to share stuff with friends makes worth it for me. I'm always installing/configuring emus and demos for friends,relatives,and co-workers; and having one that I can cart 4 gb in a small footprint-and interface with folks who do not have dvd capabilities will be the shiz-nitz! Especially since my dvd burner just died :(

Again thanx for all your feedback/help! :D

Received my packet today B)

CA2018
Hidden-Card SD/MMC 2.0 card reader <--- Works better than my €10 multi-reader lol

$3.00 USD

LP1002
Mini 2in1 Laser Pointer Keychain <--- Useful, I don't know what for... But useful lol

$3.00 USD

Nice, all works and was ordered on the 28th of July, packet was marked as gift, the little "thank you" stamp on it is funny.

Shikaku posted on Jul 31 2006 at 01:02 PM said:
Hmm... I usually don't buy hardware off Ebay (some things I think are fine like books and stuff). But I still think this is a high quality reader for the cost, because some don't even work right for higher prices =)

I bought another one BTW...
I just bought an Athlon64 processor off of ebay, hmm, I hope it works :) :) .

I don't buy from obvious scams though, and I really don't even like reading auctions with all-caps multi-colored words and the completely wrong PC in the picture, visit the LOL files to see some poor sap who got taken in by a thoroughly obvious scam.

That SD reader is looking better and better to me, I don't even own an SD card, I might buy it just for the laser pointer/LED light. I don't really care which, they both sound like fun.

I got one a short while back from Gamersection.ca for $6 Cad. It works every time, and I couldn't possibly ask for more. Not to mention that the plastic shell is not as cheap as the photos lead you to believe.

- Alex

I got the new one! This one is black/coffeeish:

blacksdreaderdw0.png

WEEE

I received my CA2018 Hidden-Card SD/MMC 2.0 card reader today!

Mine is transparent with no colour at all. Tested it with my 2GB TopRam SD-card (150x). WOW! It writes large files to my SD-cart at least twice as fast as my Kingston 4-in-1 PC Card adapter (about 2700 kbytes/sec).

One of the most useful things I own is my little USB card reader. It's a "Media-to-Go.com" branded device, a tiny plastic box as big as a floppy, but less wide and only an inch thick. It reads SD/MMC, CFI/II (and therefore Microdrive), Memory Stick and some other card type I don't even recognize. It also serves as a USB2.0 hub-- it connects to 1 USB port and provides 3 ports on the other side. It also has a DC power jack for externally powering the USB bus! But it gets better-- the cable it attaches to the PC with is a standard Male USB-A to Female MiniUSB-B connector, which fits the GP2X- so you can hook the cord between the '2x and your PC and it works perfectly. The polarity of the DC power in jack and proper input voltage is listed, and it has 3 LEDs to indicate read/write and other activity. Damn good investment for $5.

forgot to mention that i got mine - it's transparent yellow with a tinge of blue (almost a chartreuse color) and it works with the 512MB card i have - unfortunately, no 4GB card to test it, yet.

just got mine, and I have to say, good deal.

The keychain hole cap is very very loose though, and the top cap is wayyyy too hard to open.

7/10 ordinarily, but since it was a measely frickin 3 bucks, 9/10!

mine is turquoise btw :)

X-Code posted on Aug 24 2006 at 02:34 PM said:
File the top cap innards a little and it's perfect :)... As for the keychain... I wouldn't use it :lol:

That's what I did as well... pain in the ass, but it's worth it, because it will no longer be a pain in the ass =D

Ordered a second pack of stuff and here it is :lol:

LP1022
Mini 3 LED UV money detector

$3.00 USD

LP1019
Mini 8 LED Flashlight

$5.00 USD

LP1040
Mini 5LED + Laser Flashlight Keychain

$5.00 USD

HE1012
1.5V Alkaline AG3 Battery X 10pcs

$3.00 USD

And... Why did I buy all this?... Simple... I doubled the invested cash by selling the stuff to ex-friends ( and also got my 4 little thumb led-torchey thingies ) :lol:

I don't think i've ever gone for a too good to be true deal until now, got my semi transparent black card reader (and laser pointer/pen for the hell of it) which works flawlessly with my 128MB & 4GB card. Total price off my card was £4.40, what a steal.

Back