The $3 Usd Shipped Sd Card Reader

Shikaku

ROFL THE WORD PENIS IS HILARIOUS!
USA... I feel lonely, not that many people from US
Website
Visit site
http://ledshoppe.com/Product/com/CA2018.htm

Yes, I bought it, and have taken the risk of purchasing and shipping myself (OK, I really didn't take a risk, I used a parachute credit card account, and I saw no other charges made besides the $3... yet).

First of all, this shop is from Hong Kong. Woo, cheap asian labor and parts at its finest!

Anyway, lets get on to the real thing: the hardware review.

After opening the package clearly from Hong Kong, I took out my GREEN SD card reader out of the package. I guess it comes in whatever color is the cheapest to make it in. I also took out a cute little LED flashlight that came with it for free, which I will find damn handy when I open/take apart my computer, it's so tiny!

I look at the thing in detail and I also mess around with the plastic covering it has. This could be a very good pocket flash drive, the plastic is very sturdy and doesn't seem easy to break, and the plastic covers completely protects, hides, and covers the SD card inside. I find it hard to remove the USB cover, which proves the sturdyness of the plastic because I had to use a lot of force.

Anyway, I hook it up to my computer, with my 2 GB Ridata 120X SD card in the SD card slot. Windows XP detects it fine, installs the appropriate drivers. From the looks of it, it supports 4 GB cards as well because if it did not, it would have failed at the mounting procedure.

I had already had it near full when I hooked it up, and I did a standard copy/paste. Took 9 minutes, just like my non-cheap SanDisk MobileMate multi-format SD card reader ($20) would have. Took 9 minutes to copy it back as well. From the looks of it, it seems to support full speed. I originally planned to give this to my brother, and I am debating on whether I should take it for myself and give my afforementioned SD card reader, or buy another one.

All in all, I give it 4/5.

If you want me to do some expert tests with some software, I don't know any so give me some and I'll update the review...

Pictures:

comparisionnw8.jpg

withsdqu2.jpg

hikaruuh7.jpg

NaCCuRiT posted on Jul 24 2006 at 01:00 PM said:
But I still can't believe it, a $3 usb SD reader incl. worldshipping / account CCnow.com, paypal cost, etc
Right, they should have these at the $1 store then.

I would get one, but you know, I am selling my GP2X, maybe if I get another one.

I like the "make it look like a thumb driver." part of that web site :).

Last edited by a moderator:
nubie posted on Jul 24 2006 at 07:18 PM said:
But I still can't believe it, a $3 usb SD reader incl. worldshipping / account CCnow.com, paypal cost, etc

I would get one, but you know, I am selling my GP2X, maybe if I get another one.

Why are you selling your GP2X?

Thanks! I was looking for a new card reader (my old one is crap) and I wasn't sure if this company was safe.

Shikaku posted on Jul 24 2006 at 05:27 PM said:
nubie posted on Jul 24 2006 at 07:18 PM said:

Why are you selling your GP2X?
I need the cash, my finances are over the top and I haven't found a full-time summer job, I sold my nForce Shuttle XPC to buy this GP2X, and I realized that I needed the money to pay off debt.

I am taking a bit of a gouge because I am selling it with a 2GB 150x SD card, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=330011533590 .

Ooooh, pictures? Cool, they throw in that Light? Is it because they are the Led Shoppe?

greenmikey posted on Jul 24 2006 at 10:21 PM said:
Caffiene pills? oh man..relax dont get hyped up

edit: so I sound less crazy check picture 1

OMFG HOW THE FUCK DID YOU KNOW THAT!?

Those weren't mine, they were just there when I took the picture... I was going to crop that, but I decided not to so that I can see what people would say...

Edit: hi, I can read caffeine 200 mg....

so it cost 3 dollars and that includes shipping right? i read that right? lol holy shit

Thank you! I've been looking for a dirt cheap SD card reader for a couple weeks. (I only had $5 in my paypal and not enough money in the bank.)

I saw a couple of these on ebay, but for more like $3 + $8 shipping.

Thanks a bundle. Now I don't have to use Samba to write files to my SD card! (Several minutes for 5 MB of files!)

michaeljustman posted on Jul 25 2006 at 02:25 PM said:
Thank you! I've been looking for a dirt cheap SD card reader for a couple weeks. (I only had $5 in my paypal and not enough money in the bank.)

Thanks a bundle. Now I don't have to use Samba to write files to my SD card! (Several minutes for 5 MB of files!)
Yeah, those guys on Ebay are making at least $8 off of you, more if they are selling the LED lights on the side too :):).

nubie posted on Jul 26 2006 at 01:40 AM said:
michaeljustman posted on Jul 25 2006 at 02:25 PM said:

Yeah, those guys on Ebay are making at least $8 off of you, more if they are selling the LED lights on the side too :):).

You can still find decent deals on ebay, if you are patient enough to wait for a normal joe to sell what you are looking for or you find a decently honest merchant.

I bought a 6 m svideo cable on ebay for $1.95 shipped (internationally even), so there's still good stuff out there.

I also have this card reader/writer, but I have a small warning. I got mine of E-Bay about 3-4 months ago (for my Razr) and it has worked prefectly...well up till now. I also bought some Cheap Cards on E-bay Brand name is SDL. these cards work in my camera and An Older PDA I have, but no mater what i do with this card reader/writer I cannot make the GP2X read them or anything. This is probely the cheap cards, not the reader (in fact Im pretty sure) but just something to think about. In facrt i really cant do anything with them with this reader, no format, no write, no read. But I can do all with a different card reader, which means there is some incompatability there.

i have had no complaints with 4 different branded SD cards in this reader so, again it is probebly a problem with the card, but I can get a another ( more expensive) card reader to work with them just fine.

Clok

NaCCuRiT posted on Jul 24 2006 at 07:45 PM said:
Today I ve bought this 1 too and with an 3 LED Hand Pressing Flashlight (LP1027), no uses of batteries :p
Thanks to you

I hope that I recieve the products...and that are working :rolleyes:
I have ordered on 24 july and it was shipped on 28 july and I have recieved it today.
The SD card reader doesn't look / feel cheap! High Quality :)
I have tested with Windows 2000 and XP, 4 mb MMC haha , 1 GB (toshiba) and 2 GB (kingston)
Guess what it works!!! reading and writing.

I can't see any problems, only the cap (which you need to take off, to put a sd card into the internal reader) is a bit weak, so it is not usefull to use it as a keyring ;)

5 of 5

PS mine sd stick is light blue, very cool color

Back