Test the keymat!

I take back what I said. I had forgotten that they sometimes waste days sending my packages back and forth between local post offices here, and I have tracked packages that somehow made it to a state that was nowhere near on the way from the point of origin to me. They also need to get it there without destroying it.

Yeah, I hope. The US postal service has been painfully slow here before. I'm in the middle of nowhere right now. If it doesn't get here until next week I'm fine, I can do the video in one take, no editing.
Given the population in the town you asked me to send it to has a population of <400... it could take a while.

Given the population in the town you asked me to send it to has a population of <400... it could take a while.
Yeah, just got back from the post office and not there yet, they had already started to put out the mail because I had to wait until the morning fog cleared to ride my bike there. Will go check again in 6 hours.

Small towns are also a bit different. I used to live in a place where two towns and the surrounding area shared a post office which had one guy that worked there. I wonder what they did when he got sick.

Small towns are also a bit different. I used to live in a place where two towns and the surrounding area shared a post office which had one guy that worked there. I wonder what they did when he got sick.
There are a few post offices close to me actually, the town where I live is <400 but there are towns that big throughout this valley and they all have their own post office.

The crazy thing is it will be driven through my town to a place 4 hours away from here then split up there then sent back to my town's post office. It is pretty crazy. It adds at least a day. UPS had FedEx have distribution centers placed much more strategically so things take a few less days to get here. I really think USPS uses the same location as when mail workers rode horses in the Pony Express, they never moved when the population changed.

Your Pony Express theory makes me think that there could be historical reasons for why those towns I mentioned shared the post office. I am not sure what the population was, but the elementary school had around 50 students, so I would guess the population was more than 400. There was, however, only one paved road that went to those roads at the time I lived there, and I think to get there by way of dirt roads would take you way out of the way, to the middle of nowhere, if you could even get to the nearest large town on them.

I miss living in less densely populated areas.

There are a few post offices close to me actually, the town where I live is <400 but there are towns that big throughout this valley and they all have their own post office.

The crazy thing is it will be driven through my town to a place 4 hours away from here then split up there then sent back to my town's post office. It is pretty crazy. It adds at least a day. UPS had FedEx have distribution centers placed much more strategically so things take a few less days to get here. I really think USPS uses the same location as when mail workers rode horses in the Pony Express, they never moved when the population changed.
Any sign of the box yet?

Not today, no luck. Tomorrow it will be a week so I'm hopeful it will be soon. I'm also checking the mail in the morning rather than the evening, so technically I just checked for Thursday's mail, not Friday's. Tomorrow I'm going to check 20 min before it closes so I'm be checking Friday's and Saturday's.

EDIT: Wow, I got the notification someone posted since I refreshed the page right as I was hitting post reply.

Last edited:
Not today, no luck. Tomorrow it will be a week so I'm hopeful it will be soon. I'm also checking the mail in the morning rather than the evening, so technically I just checked for Thursday's mail, not Friday's. Tomorrow I'm going to check 20 min before it closes so I'm be checking Friday's and Saturday's.

EDIT: Wow, I got the notification someone posted since I refreshed the page right as I was hitting post reply.

Funny trivia... Google maps says you could bike from there to here in 79 hours.

Conclusion: USPS needs faster bikes.

we get mail really quickly in our neck of the woods, though we are in one of the "major" "metropolitan" areas of north dakota... doesn't hurt that there's a post office three blocks away...

Oddly enough, my mail comes more quickly generally since I've moved out of London, even though my major sorting office is in a different county to me these days. I can't really work out why.

Oddly enough, my mail comes more quickly generally since I've moved out of London, even though my major sorting office is in a different county to me these days. I can't really work out why.
Sounds like how the mail works over there is a mystery too.

Grr, nope, I went 20 minutes before they closed because if I got it I'm sure I'd need to go to the front desk to get it and it sounded like they were still putting out mail. I'm sure they do packages before the rest of the mail though. Where I go to church is really close to their so I'll check the P.O. box tomorrow, if I have a yellow slip I'll go Monday morning if not then I'll go Tuesday morning.

The Altair 8800 prototype was never delivered to Poplar Electronics back in 1974.
Hope the wandering Pyra will be luckier.

Well, while I've been waiting I at least learned how to sync external audio to my video so I'll sound better in the video I make :/ I'll just be recording with my gopro so video quality will be acceptable but the audio will be done on a Zoom H1 which records amazingly well. There was no slip saying I had a package so I won't check until tomorrow night. Even if I get it as late as Saturday that will be fine, it will just be one take I'm sure, mostly of me rambling about how much I love the Pandora and can't wait for the Pyra!

USPS 'First Class Mail'. It should have been there in a few days. Going on a week and a half now. Very frustrating, but I have no idea what I can do about it. It has my return address on it too and it hasn't come back. I sent it from a corner mailbox and shipping place - it was weighed & metered.

USPS 'First Class Mail'. It should have been there in a few days. Going on a week and a half now. Very frustrating, but I have no idea what I can do about it. It has my return address on it too and it hasn't come back. I sent it from a corner mailbox and shipping place - it was weighed & metered.
If it was first class didn't you get a tracking number? It should be on the receipt.

Here in a few hours I'm going to go check the mail so we'll see if it is here today. . .

If it was first class didn't you get a tracking number? It should be on the receipt.

Here in a few hours I'm going to go check the mail so we'll see if it is here today. . .

1st class mail is a quasi-tracking number. It shows nothing but yes/no received. I'll check it tonight - I don't have it with me right now.

Back