1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Test the keymat!

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by EvilDragon, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Grench

Grench Forum Addict!

No worries - Just making sure it wasn't lost in the mail.

2. levi

levi Still fresh, damnit!

Do you mean the usb3/otg port and the micro HDMI port? I think those are on the left and right respectively on the picture, so it seems unlikely for plugs in those to foul each other. It seems to me the closest plugs would be in the other USB2 host port and the charging/USB debug port, if I'm remembering what they are correctly. It seems you may be limited to just one USB2 port and one USB3 micro port if charging at the same time, or you find a suitable adaptor for your bulky componentry to move it away from the charging port (assuming the plug supplied on the charger is not overly bulky).

3. Letalis Sonus

Letalis Sonus Very Active Member

The case, not each other. All connectors are within a depression, those connectors are right at its edge.

bubblebee, Eight Bit and levi like this.
  4. Eight Bit

Eight Bit Advanced Member

What Letalis said :)

5. TeDaDeS

TeDaDeS Very Active Member

pengo and levi like this.
  6. pengo

pengo Member

My apologies TeDaDeS, I have corrected my original post.

7. second exodous

second exodous Well-Known Member

So the Pyra will be as slim as the Pandora with an updated case? I think I remember one of the news updates that said it could be slimmed down. I remember the cases that will ship won't be slimmer but a top or bottom can be purchased to make it thinner? Or is it thicker for the cooling?

The shoulder buttons look amazing though, can't wait to try the shell when I get it.

8. levi

I personally doubt the Pyra can reach the Pandora sveltness even with the most updated case there ever is - it's got more PCBs and a bigger battery in there, plus those quad shoulder buttons probably need to retain a bit of vertical separation if possible.

9. second exodous

Ah, ok, I was thinking that about the shoulder buttons myself. I thought I red ED saying it could be slimmed down at a later date with a case revision but the molds were already machined that deep.

10. levi

Yes, that much is true; he has announced that he can see how the unit could be slimmed and will probably hopefully make available slimmer case parts for anyone wanting to upgrade down the line. I just don't think they'll make it as slim as the Pandora, much less anything like the GPD win. The Pyra looks to be about 5mm thicker than the Pandora in that shot, at a rough guess, and I'd be surprised if ED manages to lose more than about 2 or 3 millimeters.

11. Grench

Grench Forum Addict!

Package received. Pictures taken. I'll prep a write up & post those this weekend.

Need the next address for it.

12. second exodous

So now only one person between the package and me, woohoo!

13. comradekingu

comradekingu Glowing ember

erico and levi like this.
  14. second exodous

Wow, now I'm excited to see Grench's pictures, I wish I lived in a castle!

levi likes this.
  15. Grench

Grench Forum Addict!

It is getting late - so this will be more pictures than explanation. In another subject area someone asked about devices plugged into the back - if there were room for 2 USB sticks shoulder to shoulder - and if the inset on the back would interfere with plugging anything in. I thought I could/should solve that.

The box has been around a few blocks. It's just an old HDD cardboard shipper - but a well traveled one.

[​IMG]
    I'm not sure what's with the stickers that were inside the box - an entertaining collection though.
    [​IMG]

The Pyra keyboard test mule didn't come with a stylus, but I have a few on hand. My understanding is that it will use the same stylus shape/spec as the Pandora. Pandora stylus & a RHS.

[​IMG]
    Pandora stylus in slot - there wasn't a stylus holder clip either, but you can see where it would sit.
    [​IMG]
    RHS in slot - I may have to make the RHS longer for the Pyra than the Pandora?
    [​IMG]
    The microSD and SIM combo slot:
    [​IMG]
    Opened:
    [​IMG]
    Loading a microSD - slides into hooks in the lifted flap.
    [​IMG]
    SDXC slots:
    [​IMG]
    Yes - these card slots are upside down. Card inserts with the contacts side up. I understand this may be fixed on a later motherboard revision?

Cards inserted - they sit just right/flush.
    [​IMG]
    Volume wheel on the test mule has seen better days. It doesn't turn. I did not open the case to free it.
    [​IMG]
    Sticking game buttons:
    [​IMG]
    Why the buttons stick:
    [​IMG]
    It appears that there is a coating - almost tape-like around the buttons. This is stiffer than the underlying material and has split/expanded to start to hang up the buttons. I was able to momentarily get all 4 to stick. The rest of the keys behaved fantastically.

USB OTG connectors - the microUSB 2.0 one was included in the test mule box. The other two are mine for my Galaxy Note 3 phones.
    [​IMG]
    USB 2.0 OTG 90* connected:
    [​IMG]
    USB 3.0 OTG 90* connected:
    [​IMG]
    Both fully seated. There is no interference from the case plastics.

So how much space is there between the USB type A ports?
    [​IMG]
    Both fit - they touch and just barely push outward - no real force on the socket. They're just taking up the USB 'wiggle room'.

Overly large USB devices will need to go one at a time.
    [​IMG]
    Or use a hub:
    [​IMG]
    Tiny USB to microSDXC adapters:
    [​IMG]
    They seat fully and don't change 'pocketability'.
    [​IMG]
    Why? Pyra wireless bridging relay maybe?
    [​IMG]
    Getting a bit crazy with stuff. It is all plugged into the Pyra keymat test mule:
    [​IMG]
    Portable DVD player?
    [​IMG]
    Yes - just plugged into the Pyra:
    [​IMG]
    About that wrist strap notch that nobody seems to notice:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So - about the keymats... they have been covered in detail, but I'll add my $0.02.
    The one that was mounted in the Pyra was excellent - with exception of the game buttons on the right. Those were having some sort of coating delamination issues. I suspect that may be why @EvilDragon made the last set of changes to 'white' with more limited paint.

The alternate keymats were almost all 'too tough'. They were very stiff and difficult to actuate by comparison. Visually, my favorite was actually the one without any clear tops applied.

I added the wrist strap lanyard thing to the box and it is ready to ship on to the next person. I don't have their address yet - so, pending.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  16. second exodous

@EvilDragon Why not just send the addresses right now? like send Grench Mecksg1's, Mecksg1 mine, mine to xrandr, xrandr's to Neelix, Neelix's to Kolbász. I guess Kolbász gets to either keep the package or send it back to you.

@Grench Really great pictures though, at this point I thought all the pictures were taken but you got some really good closeups.

spud42 likes this.
  17. Caine

Caine Advanced Member

@Grench interesting series of pictures. Thanks for posting.

18. tarator

tarator Still Fresh

@Grench You really seem to like plugging in stuff ;) Very appreciated!

I also wasn't aware, that there is a notch to strap a cord. Really nice!
    Great pictures!

19. Eight Bit

Eight Bit Advanced Member

And thanks for trying different plugs to see if they interfere with the case, my mind is eased :)

I wonder if your double USB to DVD solution would work without an adapter, how much does the drive use and how much current do the USB ports deliver? >500mAh?
    My Pandora does drive my Samsung HDD but somehow a DVD drive seems more power hungry because of the mechanical nature of the device.

Interesting, interesting...

20. spud42

spud42 Very Active Member

my Samaung portable DVD writer SE-208 shows 5V 1.3A