Test the keymat!

rygD

Nihilistic Mystic
I doubt there are any plans for a second coming of the pyra keyboard - this one took long enough!
It would be nice if we get the full things soonish. Really, I just wanted an excuse to say "World Tour II", and it would be cool to trade stuff through the mail, even if they are only things like stickers and toy snakes.

Kolbász

I like your belt.
Thank you. I've got it second hand twelve years ago :)

Where plastic is cracked (nub) is it starting together, and if so does it feel sturdy and usable?
Both of the nubs are equally well usable and I can't find a difference by the touch. There seems to be no dislocation when I press it hard, it holds together very nice. BTW, it's a pity that the nubs are clickable only near the center position.

If we weren't going to get the fiberglass reinforced cases would you feel the prototype plastic was adequate for daily use and carrying?
When open, the lid can be afffected by moderate torsion forces. The base of the device is very robust. When closed, the device is suitable for self defense :)

Do you think the stocking keys will be a major problem, and can they be dislodged by lightly brushing the keys to the side?
I think this is already resolved in the latest revision. Key stick is rare on this prototype, so no major problem. Dislodging can be done by pushing a neighbouring key.

I thought I read the USB ports or something got moved or were different or something (maybe I am thinking of the SD slots being changed to a different one that orients them correctly), so will we possibly have issues plugging an individual thing in, such as a headset (since it isn't flush with the case edge, and we already have one confirmed to not fit)?
The SD card cage is a different component now, so the card is no longer upside down. I don't know about the other connectors. Worst case, the headset problem is easily solvabe with a small extender cable, and this issue is only present with oversized plugs.

Did the volume wheel friction get fixed?
Yes, I think so.

Last edited:

rygD

Nihilistic Mystic
Wow, i missed a lot of autocorrect fails. The headset thing kinda sucks since mine has a low profile L shape next to the connector that will be perfect for pocket use. I hope it works. I know a drill can probably find the issue if placement on the board isn't different, but once we can all check it out in person we might need to make a list of which ones don't fit without modification to case or connector plastic.

Kolbász

Wow, i missed a lot of autocorrect fails.
I use manual-incorrect instead of autocorrect :D

The headset thing kinda sucks since mine has a low profile L shape next to the connector that will be perfect for pocket use. I hope it works. I know a drill can probably find the issue if placement on the board isn't different, but once we can all check it out in person we might need to make a list of which ones don't fit without modification to case or connector plastic.
I've tried an L-shaped jack which is normal (smallish) size, I could plug it in all the way. I haven't tought about drilling, it's a good idea but has to be done very carefully because the hole for the jack is at the boundary of two different piece of case parts.
[doublepost=1514730743,1514721606][/doublepost]
Those vias are probably taking keyboard lines to the middle layers at a guess. My prototype PCB looks like a 4-layer board by inspection.
I thought that the keyboard lines are probably routed through the microvias that are all over the keyboard area. These normal size padded vias seem to me as a hacking area, somehow connected to the audio subsystem (stereo audio line in?), or maybe a spare UART or I2C?

levi

Still fresh, damnit!
Woah, those are microvias? I thought those were just bubbles in the paint or something. It's a little hard to see on my prototype unpopulated PCB as I wrapped that in clingfilm then double bagged it to slow the copper corroding, and the keyboard side is where all the folded clingfilm went. But those vias don't seem to be labelled at all, and they're an odd number for I2C if I remember the protocol correctly. The bottom of each pair does seem to be connected to the ground plane on the component side of the board, but it could still be an analogue signal like stereo audio (in or out) or GPIOs or UARTs I think. It it physically near the volume wheel, but looking at the board there are two more pairs of similarly boxed vias next to the shoulder button hinge cutouts that seem to be connected similarly, and the corner without these vias is probably blocked off by the cellular antenna. So I think the proximity to the audio subsystem is probably a red herring, and these are just expansion options designed to be one pair at each corner of the board.

Still quite cool though, I didn't realise the GPIOs/etc were as easily connected as this.

Kolbász

I believe the ones near the shoulder buttons are test connections for the speakers.

I think I finally spotted the other four vias (near the volume wheel) in the schematic diagram. Sheet 19/51 of 4G mainboard schematics, labels "DACL" and "DACR". It says "solder in/outs for testing". So yeah, these vias carry audio signals.

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
A well, right, still need to unpack it :)

What do you mean with Gel coating?

Sent from my XT1650-03 using Tapatalk

Grench

Forum Addict!
A well, right, still need to unpack it :)

What do you mean with Gel coating?

Sent from my XT1650-03 using Tapatalk
Everyone who received that box was so anxious to open it ... all but one. :)

In the collection of keymats there was one example with lettering that did not have the clear plastic lense caps on top of the keys. Likely an early test piece. If you have a box of those sitting around, I ask that you toss one or two of the otherwise unusable pieces in with my prototype. If they don't exist or if it is in any way arduous to find and include them, skip it.

But, you should look through the contents if you're ever even semi-bored. I even found the exterior of the box interesting with it's layers of postage & labels and blacked out names.