Tell Us Non-Sega Genesis Guys What The Best Of Sega Genesis Are :)

If I were to add Sega CD/Mega CD games to the list, I'd say above all, these:

Lunar - One of my favorite RPGs of all time.
Lunar 2 - Another one of my top 5 favorite RPGs of all time.
Silpheed - Cinematic-based 3/4-view shooter, really really cool.

I don't really recall any others I can easily recommend other than those three. But then I don't own nearly as many Sega CD games as I do Genesis.

Lots of good ones mentioned already :)

To add to that list:

VectorMan 1&2 - amazing graphics and gameplay - a bit hard though!
Herzog Zwei - ground breaking "RTS" type game.
Dungeons and dragons Eternal Sun - Well I liked it! :)
Desert (and perhaps Urban & Jungle) Strike - (may be better versions about - Amiga perhaps)?
Micro Machines - arcade racer like Super Skid marks.
Mega Turrican - shooter. This is a nice version.
Sub-Terrania - shooter.
Earthworm Jim 2 - great versions.
Story of Thor - RPG

jumpman said:
SNATCHER:Sega CD

Keith disagrees.

I admit, after having watched the Let's Play, I have zero interest in playing this. But hey, maybe Policenauts will be cool?

Edit: No one mentioned Dracula X? Great stuff. You can play the son of John Harper's douchey friend, or a Spaniard with a trident.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kicker said:
Keith disagrees.

I admit, after having watched the Let's Play, I have zero interest in playing this. But hey, maybe Policenauts will be cool?

Edit: No one mentioned Dracula X? Great stuff. You can play the son of John Harper's douchey friend, or a Spaniard with a trident.
Keith: Why don't you get a clue?
Gillian: Oh come on Keith, Katrina keeps blowing me off, and your sister Kelly is looking pretty good!
Keith: She's 13!
Gillian: Hey man, I'm only 16... bit.
Keith: You act like you're 32 bit.
Gillian: Naw man, that's just a gimmick. They just couldn't fit my big old megabit on the Genesis. If you know what I mean.
Keith: ...
Gillian: Keith?
Keith: ...
Gillian: Hello? We're talking about my Megadrive. You know, the one in my pants.
Keith: Goodbye.

(to stifle any questions about "you typed all that?" I typed it in notepad as it was playing. I type fast.)

Anyway, great game.

Kicker said:
Snatcher is actually a pretty interesting "game", but it's heavily story-based and there's very little action in it. This kind of game is quite popular in Japan. If you like action-based games where you're actually doing a lot, constantly pressing buttons instead of reading more, it's not for you. In fact, if I recall correctly, there's only a few points in the game where you're actually doing any kind of shooting, and even then it's only a 9-square area you can shoot (the 8 directions and center).

Toe Jam and Earl (2 player best)
Sonic 2 (Best of the cartridge Sonics, never had the chance to try Sonic CD)
Herzog Zwei
Mortal Combat (2 player)
Phantasy Star series (Phantasy Star on master system was the best I reckon)
Road Rash series (no. 2 was probably my favourite)
Super Smash TV
NBA Jam (multi player)

Mega Drive was the system of my late teens and early 20's dole bludging,
pot smoking period of my life. Have very fond memories of it.

Sugar_Kane said:
bustaballs said:
Shadowrun for Sega Genesis is my favourite game of all time.

Oh christ I'm actually playing shadowrun at home on my modded pal megadrive. It's too bloody hard! The music sticks in your head though... dunna-dun-dunna... dunna-dun-da-da-da

It's not too difficult. It just takes a while to get started off. Money starts off slow in the game. I always go get Stark right off and then start doing ghoul missions. Once I have enough money for spells and better equipment, I do corp runs until I can get the best cyberdeck and then I do freelance hacking for valuable data.

-Tj- said:
Kicker said:
Snatcher is actually a pretty interesting "game", but it's heavily story-based and there's very little action in it. This kind of game is quite popular in Japan. If you like action-based games where you're actually doing a lot, constantly pressing buttons instead of reading more, it's not for you. In fact, if I recall correctly, there's only a few points in the game where you're actually doing any kind of shooting, and even then it's only a 9-square area you can shoot (the 8 directions and center).

There are enough good adventure games and visual novels in the world that I don't have to suffer through Kojima's writing. <_<

Megaman: Wily Wars - Platformer
Ristar - Platformer
Zoop - Puzzle (My favorite I should add)
Vectorman 1 and 2 - Platformer
Jurassic Park - Platformer
Jurassic Park: Rampage Edition - Platformer
Jurassic Park: Lost World - Overhead shooter
Alien Soldier - Run n' Gun
Earthworm Jim 1 and 2 (Get the Sega CD version of the first one) - Platformer
Kid Chameleon - Platformer
Road Rash 2 - Racing (With chains and baseball bats)
Super Shinobi - Platformer
Shinobi III - Platformer
X-Men 2: Clone Wars - Platformer
Darius II - Shooter
Castlevania Bloodlines/New Generation - Platformer
Gunstar Heroes - Run n' Gun
Alien Storm - Beat 'em Up (Golden Axe with robots and aliens)
Golden Axe I,II,III - Beat 'em Up
Streets of Rage 1,2,3 - Beat 'em Up
NBA Jam T.E. - Basketball with Bill Clinton
Contra: Hard Corps - Run n' Gun
Ranger X - Platformer
Aladdin - Platformer

Kicker said:
-Tj- said:
Kicker said:

There are enough good adventure games and visual novels in the world that I don't have to suffer through Kojima's writing. <_<
Maybe so, but at least with Snatcher you don't have to worry about it being another kind of game in disguise. *COUGH*MGS4*COUGH* *INTERACTIVE MOVIE*COUGH*.

Tobriand said:
TLJRyan said:
*Edit: Wow, I can't edit the title.

Done :)
Welcome back Tobriand!! You picking up a Pandora?

On topic: Ringside Angel, Verytex, Midnight Resistance, Side Pocket, J League Pro Striker 2, Phantasy Star 3

x68000 said:
Phantasy Star 3
One thing that annoyed me about both 2 and 3 of the series is scrolling; your character has to walk quite a distance to the edge before the screen starts scrolling with him, with the result that you often can't see where you're going very well. Has anyone released a patch that fixes this?

P.S. I might as well list some games listed by others here that I didn't like that much:

Jurassic Park - I don't like any of these games. Frustrating, illogical level design...
Toejam & Earl - the second one is great, but the first just seemed average to me.
Pirates! Gold - interface a bit clunky (especially sword-fighting), and I couldn't really get into it enough to enjoy it. Though to be fair, I did spend a while playing it.
Gunstar Heroes - it's not that I didn't like this one; it's obviously a very polished game. I just don't really like this style of platformer much.
Mickey Mouse Castle of Illusion - couldn't get into it. I think "Mickey Mania" is much better
Sonic 1 - not bad, but the sequels are much better
Wonder Boy in Monster World - this game is rather clunky, and I found it to have a steep learning curve
Pitfall

Here's a quick list of games that I've spent most time playing.

Ranger X - Very under-rated game, good mix of levels/bosses. Unique controls (of main mech and his weird bike)

Toejam and earl - I won't embarrass myself by saying how many times I have completed this game. (although as mentioned earlier - it's a kind of 2 player only type of game - 1 player is just not the same)

Micro machines Turbo tournament - Again multiplayer but just brilliant fun

Rolo to the rescue - hard as nails, cute platformer

Phantasy star 4 - Polished RPG

I'm sure theres many more I've forgotten.

CJ

DrCJBoduma said:
Ranger X - Very under-rated game, good mix of levels/bosses. Unique controls (of main mech and his weird bike)

Man i loved Ranger X classic game, a combination of bike and robot, i still play that game from time to time :D
I really liked Echo the dolphin on the Mega CD, i would just sit there listening to the fantastic music that came with it.
Senisi Soccer on the Mega cd was great as well.
Dare i say it!!!! Night Trap !!!!! lol
And i managed to get myself a japanese copy of Assault Suit Leynos (Target Earth) on the Megadrive (a minor modification to the plastic casing on the megadrive allowed me to play the game)
And of course Mortal Kombat 2 :)

tony11@hotmail.com said:
DrCJBoduma said:

Man i loved Ranger X classic game, a combination of bike and robot, i still play that game from time to time :D
Just in case there are anymore ranger x fans out there, I found this recently

Ranger X - Secret Stage (jap only I think)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvT720oIN8I

Back