Tell Us Non-Sega Genesis Guys What The Best Of Sega Genesis Are :)

GunPei2X said:
Soleil - good Zelda clone.

With a hilariously bad plot and dialogue. I found it funny for all the wrong reasons, which made it rather entertaining. It has some good gameplay ideas in it though.

Also, Sonic has a cameo!
031.jpg

Unfortunately that's all he says.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mofokubik said:
Edit: Oh yeah, there's one more game I forgot to mention. A brand new game called Pier Solar. US version is sold out, apparently there are still Jap versions available. The only thing that changes between the different versions is the box art, so it should still work fine.

Wow, I had no idea that a project like this existed until now. I'm now really looking forward to this.

NHL '94. Plus you can get versions with updated rosters here, Nhl94.com (fan site). Also Mutant League Hockey has some charm.

I'll second Shining Force II...I played a lot of that back in the day.

Virtual Bart...on the whole it's just another lousy licensed Simpsons title...but it's fun whipping tomatoes at Principal Skinner...

I'll be repeating some of what others said, but having grown up a Sega kid, I'd love to chime in (to emphasize). ;)

Gunstar Heroes - DO NOT MISS THIS ONE!!
M.U.S.H.A./MUSHA Aleste - top-down shooter, incredible soundtrack, also DO NOT MISS!!
Thunder Force IV/Lightening Force - Side scrolling shooter, some of the best graphics on the Gen/MD, and great soundtrack.
Alien Soldier - really difficult to get into, but once you do, totally worth it. Platformer-meets-fighting game.
Gley Lancer - very anime-esque, but decent side scrolling shooter. Love this one for some reason.
Monster World 4 - there is an English mod for it, but otherwise it was a JAP only game. Very fun. Side scrolling action RPG
The Adventures of Batman and Robin - decent soundtrack, really advanced graphics for Gen/MD. Difficult.
Panorama Cotton - Kinda neat game, plays like Space Harrier. Hit or miss, either like it or don't.
Strider - Probably the most accurate port of the arcade game of its time.
Forgotten Worlds - Fun shooter, not true to arcades, but still fun.
Sonic 2 and Knuckles, Sonic 3 and Knuckles (combined carts) - Expands Sonic 2 to allow play with Knuckles, and Sonic 3 into a much, much bigger game with more secrets.

There's a lot I'm missing, but I think everyone else might have mentioned them already. If I think of more, I'll edit.

Edit:
Dynamite Headdy - Awesome platformer, has some neat gameplay aspects.
Rocket Knight Adventures - Another fun platformer, same character as Sparkster (RKA2), but I like this prequel more.
Aladdin - Not a huge fan, but the animation is superb and the controls are decent, you might like it more than I do.
Alisia Dragoon - Mentioned above, but saying it again because it's a great game. ;-)
Beyond Oasis - Great top-down action RPG. Lots of secrets. Mentioned many times, but again, reiterating.
Castlevania Bloodlines - Not a bad game. There are better Castlevanias, but this is the one we got.
Contra 4 - Another 'not bad' game. A lot like Gunstar Heroes in many respects, but not nearly as good.
El Viento - Decent action platformer. Not great, but fun at least once through.
Pulseman - Sega's take on a Megaman-like theme. Good game, nice style.
Final Zone - Really cool atmosphere, strangely awesome music. Decent game, but takes getting used to (mech-based, top-down shooter).
Granada - Not super great, but still fun for a couple tries. Top-down shooter where you drive a tank and blow stuff up.
Gaiares - Another great side scrolling shooter. Rather difficult compared to other shooters, has an interesting play mechanic.
Flink - There was a CD version that probably had better music, but never played it. Played this one instead. Platform game. NICE graphics!
Ghouls 'n' Ghosts - Pretty damn good conversion of the arcade game.
Golden Axe 1 & 2 - Mentioned before, but I'd avoid 3. It's terrible, and that's not just my opinion.
Herzog Zwei - A lot of people feel this is where RTS was born. It's like a mix between a top-down shooter and RTS. Your ship is your cursor. Play it, but you might want to read an online manual to see what the commands are first. Used to play one match against friends and cousins for hours (literally).
Puyo Puyo, Puyo Puyo 2 - Fun puzzle game, one of them is known as Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine in the US (and maybe Europe). Connect 4 or more of the same color in any arrangement to clear them.
RangerX - side scrolling action game, pretty interesting mech-based combat.
Red Zone - Amazing pseudo-3D helicopter shooter. Somewhat realistic in that your helicopter can run out of ALL ammo (not just missiles), needs fuel, and if your tail is hit, you start to spin. Fairly difficult game.
Space Harrier 2 - Fairly decent game much like the arcade prequel.
Star Control - Never played the PC version, but this was supposed to be a fairly good conversion of it. Bought this while waiting for Sonic to come out. :lol:
Subterrania - Kinda neat gravity-based side scrolling shooter. Very difficult at some points. Pretty fun once you get the hang of it.
Super Fantasy Zone - Pastel-colored side scrolling shooter. Rather famous series, fun game.
Syd of Valis/Valis SD/Valis Syd - Super-deformed version of the Valis series, really cute with bright colors. Decent platform game that I think is a little more fun than her life-sized counterparts, Valis and Valis 3.
Thunder Force 2, 3 - Take your pick. I like them all, they're all different, but 4 had the best graphics and music (imo, of course), while 2 had the most weapons. (HUNTAH. SIDE BRASTER. ROLL!!!!)
Tiny Toon Adventures - another decent platformer. Not as good as the SNES version, but still fun.
Vapor Trail - top-down shooter that's pretty enjoyable. Good in-game music, but it's used in EVERY STAGE, so it gets kind of annoying.

-Tj- said:
Strider - Probably the most accurate port of the arcade game of its time.

I reckon this game sold a lot of Mega Drives in the early days - arcade quality at home.

GunPei2X said:
Toejam & Earl - probably my favourite Genesis game from the day.
I love you :)

Also, Lotus 1&2 were really great.

... What, nobody mentioned ZERO WING !?!?

I should still have it in the attic. Could bring some good coin one day...

You know:
"All your base are belong to us"
"Somebody set up us the bomb"

Maybe not that great of a game, but it's an epic piece of gaming history.

I was a SNES guy myself, but I remember my uncle had this great ice hockey game (just had a quick google, pretty sure it was EA Hockey) that we used to play a lot. I loved the fact they would stop playing and have a punch up!

aatu said:
... What, nobody mentioned ZERO WING !?!?

I should still have it in the attic. Could bring some good coin one day...

You know:
"All your base are belong to us"
"Somebody set up us the bomb"

Maybe not that great of a game, but it's an epic piece of gaming history.
That's what that game's called! Gotta give that a go, thanks :D

Toejam & Earl may be my favorite genesis game, but you really need to play it with/against someone else to get the most out of it.

Streets of Rage 2 (tho the first one has the better music, I think)
Phantasy Star series
Kid Chameleon
Sonic the Hedgehog
Road Rash
Comic Zone
Wolfchild (CD version has better soundtrack, of course)
Flicky

I remember kinda liking Black Hole Assault?

Alerino said:
Oh heck yeah, I loved Quack Shot.

I remember being stuck at the beginning of the game for about a week because I didn't know you could call your airplane with the start menu.

TLJRyan said:
Alerino said:
Oh heck yeah, I loved Quack Shot.

I remember being stuck at the beginning of the game for about a week because I didn't know you could call your airplane with the start menu.

Really?! I also never knew that. I never could get past the beginning of the game and hated it for that... Guess it's time to dig out Quack Shot again and give it another try.

Shining Forces 1 & 2
Comix Zone
Pulseman(It's only in Japanese but you don't need to know the language to play it. It's a lot like Megaman)
Beyond Oasis

Pulseman is excellent (I was very happy when it became available on the Wii Virtual Console service). :D There's a translation patch available here, if you're interested.

World of Illusion
Earthworm Jim 1 & 2
Sonic 1,2,3 & Spinball
Golden Axe (all)
Streets of Rage (all)
NHL
Rugby World Cup 95
Smash TV
James Pond 1 & 2
Aquatic Games :)
California Games
Street Racer
Micro Machines (all)
NBA

Ones I played and enjoyed as a kid

My favourite games:

Panorama Cotton - 3D Shooter - this game is amazing. It's like Star Fox, but a lot more wacky and weird.

Toejam and Earl 2 - Platformer - I like this much better than the first one. It has a great structure and sense of humour, and tons of secrets to collect.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles - Platformer - the best of the Sonics, I think. Truly an epic game.

Phantasy Star 4 - RPG - the only really good traditional RPG on this system that I've come across. I couldn't get into any of the other Phantasy Stars either (because of various control/design issues), but this one is really polished.

Ristar - Platformer - simply one of the best platformers ever, overlooked at the time.

Aladdin - Platformer - I loved it back in the day.

The Lion King - Platformer - I played this one before I saw the movie. I remember thinking "if the movie's even half as good..."

Mickey Mania: The Timeless Adventures of Mickey Mouse - Platform - this is the only one of the "Mickey/early Disney characters" Genesis games that I really like.

Jim Power - Platformer/Shooter - I'm sorry, but I really like Jim Power. :p Some levels are "platformer", in others you're in a spaceship. It has a reputation as one of the hardest games ever made, and I usually don't like hard games, but I like this one. All the obstacles are the same every time, so if you memorize the path you'll be fine. Also, the Pandora's excellent controls will be very helpful here. The Genesis version was never actually finished, so it has a few bugs (same music the whole game, and no actual ending), but it has some levels that the SNES version doesn't have.

Fantastic Dizzy - Platformer/adventure - it's a Dizzy game! You know, the egg. This one has prettier graphics than most of them, and the same nice gameplay.

King's Bounty - Strategy - Graphically, one of the simplest games on the Genesis, but it makes up for it by being simple and fun - I've spent hours playing it. It's a precursor to the "Heroes of Might and Magic" games.

Sonic 1 Megamix - Platformer - this is a recently-made "fan game", but it's the best one that I've seen. It's enormous and well-made.

Rocket Knight Adventures - Platformer - an overlooked but very nice platformer game, a bit like Sonic

Shining Force 1 & 2 - Strategy RPG - these aren't the best thing ever and can get a bit repetitive, but they're pretty good mostly

Golden Axe - Fighting/platform - I was always the dwarf in this one.

Zany Golf - Sports - a nice 3D minigolf game, though it's a bit short and hard.

Other games: "Starflight", "Sonic Spinball", "Puggsy", "Wiz and Liz", "Ghouls 'N Ghosts". I've wanted to try the "Rings of Power" RPG, but the GP32 Genesis emulator wouldn't play it. "High Seas Havoc" also looks interesting - I'll need to try it out.

So it looks like Platformer really is the best single genre on the Genesis.

P.S. For those mentioning Road Rash, I actually think that the Master System version plays a lot better. I've spent hours playing that version.

bustaballs said:
Shadowrun for Sega Genesis is my favourite game of all time.

Oh christ I'm actually playing shadowrun at home on my modded pal megadrive. It's too bloody hard! The music sticks in your head though... dunna-dun-dunna... dunna-dun-da-da-da

My list of my favourite all time megadrive games:

Streets of rage I & II
super street righter II
Gunstar heroes
shining force II
World of illusion
Gynoug
Rock n roll racing
sonic 1 & 2
Castlevania: bloodlines
Dynamite headdy
Spiderman