Tegra K1

If pyra runs android would it still bep ossible ot port over or make wrappers for the old Pandora programs? would android rob performance being java based?

Last edited by a moderator:
@ED-

I don't think "writing a driver for it" is true, I'm going to post this from nvidia when they released their tegra 4. There is some hardware stuff involved and it's not superficial. The shim/workaround thing can be done, but as me and wizardstan were talking about, it's effect on performance may or may not be negligible. 

page 11

http://www.nvidia.com/docs/IO/116757/Tegra_4_GPU_Whitepaper_FINALv2.pdf

Tegra 4 / 4i processors do not explicitly support OpenGL ES 3.0 API due to not having a few 

features such as FP32 pixel shaders or EAC/ETC2 texture compression format support, but 

Tegra 4 / 4i processors do support many of the important ES 3.0 features as shown in Table 1 . 

As stated earlier, we believe differences in image quality between FP32 and FP20 pixel 

rendering are virtually unperceivable to the human eye, and the power savings is substantial to 

warrant using FP20 in this generation SoC. Similarly, the Tegra 4 processor includes popular 

texture compression formats such as DXT. We do not expect applications/games to use ES 3.0 

for quite some time

If pyra runs android would it still bep ossible ot port over or make wrappers for the old Pandora programs?
EvilDragon has said many times that he wants it to run Linux. There's no reason to believe that has changed. It'll just now be easier to run Android.
would android rob performance being java based?
Performance hasn't been hindered by Java for almost 10 years now. This myth really needs to stop.

I don't like big commercial games. They're often just a semi-interactive B-movie with impressive graphics but not much of a plot, and very little or no originality in terms of gameplay. I don't feel like wasting my time with that, let alone pay for it.
Thats understandable. I personally dislike Mame and NES games. We all have out likes and dislikes. Just dont assume because you dont like somdthing that it is "irrelevant" or "unnecessary"

^ *thumbs up*!

I'm happy about the decision to use OMAP5. Sadly the chances for getting an OpenSource GPU driver ever, is very slim. I've heard the PowerVRs architecture is crazy. Other open source GPU projects (like Ardreno with Freedreno; Vivante with etnaviv, and Mali 200/Mali 400 with Lima) make good progress after a slow start (reverse engineering is not that easy). Etnaviv is already used in the GCW Zero.

However I just want to mention my dream SoC was Freescale i.MX6 Dual or Quad. Yes, its "only" Cortex A9 but you get a "mostly comlete 6.000 page programming manual" and the Vivante GPU has been almost completly reverse engineered! Whats letft is working on the driver.

Quotation from: https://github.com/laanwj/etna_viv/wiki

"Help needed!

Nearly all of the reverse engineering work has been done, and we have a GLES driver that works well on fbdev on GC1000 and below. It is being used in the GCW Zero firmware. However I don't have time nor will to do everything myself. This project needs developers that help with the Mesa driver for

•  
  • GC2000 support: multiple pixel pipes support is the only thing holding back basic GC2000 support
  •  
  • integrating into DRI/DRM
  •  
  • X11 2D driver
  •  
I read all the time "I can't use etnaviv because it doesn't ..." should not forget that this is an open source collaborative project. I did my thing, now do yours. There is no point in waiting because whatever you want just won't happen out of itself."

I can't speak for TI specifically, but I have been dealing with Freescale (technically a reseller of Freescale but close enough) and they said something similar about their automotive line: design now and be assured that you'll still be able to get the same (or at least 100% compatible) processors years from now.
interesting, so like OMAP5, the i.MX6 might not have a problem with long term availability

I wouldn't say it's easier, but as TI offers working Android for the EVM, it's certainly helpful, isn't it?

Actually no. Ive just leaened that people on here are assholes and im not allowed to voice my true opinion as I would personally like to.

No you can speak here as much as you want.. So two scenarios,  everyone here thinks you're wrong or everyone is under Notaz's mind control™ .

I'm proud of you EssiAir :) . You've grown up :)
Actually no. Ive just leaened that people on here are assholes and im not allowed to voice my true opinion as I would personally like to.
43450613.jpg

Those gameloft B-move tired rip-offs are kinda fun for all the wrong reasons. 

It's a kind of guilty pleasure to me. If ripping-off was an olympic event, gameloft would get 10/10 across the board: which is just priceless.

I love them, but I understand supporting those is not on the top priority list. It doesn't matter how powerful the soc is when its battery dies faster than a cat being thrown into a meat grinder.  I would rather choose longer battery life and better backwards competibility over a few good laughs. 

I don't like big commercial games. They're often just a semi-interactive B-movie with impressive graphics but not much of a plot, and very little or no originality in terms of gameplay. I don't feel like wasting my time with that, let alone pay for it.
Thats understandable. I personally dislike Mame and NES games. We all have out likes and dislikes. Just dont assume because you dont like somdthing that it is "irrelevant" or "unnecessary"
Just to be clear: I didn't make that assumption.

If pyra runs android would it still bep ossible ot port over or make wrappers for the old Pandora programs? would android rob performance being java based?
CDouble, if Pyra runs Android, I'd guess that it would be as an alternate OS/dual boot environment.  If this is the case, there wouldn't be a performance impact. . . but you'd have to reboot to get to the other OS.  I don't know if there has been any talk to get things to work in any other fashion.  The upside to this is native performance in both OSs.  The downside is having to reboot to go from one OS to the other. . . assuming somebody does the work to get Android going on the Pyra.

^^That's not an assumption indeed, it was simply a statement of opinion. As you were not speaking for anyone. 

I don't get what you guys are arguing about. At most, tegra k1 can run some obscure bad 3d intensive game that looks a bit better than that on an omap5 soc. 

It's not the kind of either or situation. It's more like having something at the cost of other specs sort of deal. Even if ED can source a few thousands of Tegra K1, using that means we are to lose most of our backwards competibility and halves our battery life on normal usage just to improve some apps you are not going to even run everyday. I don't see how that's a fair trade. 

I can't speak for most people, but I can see myself spend most the time with the pyra on dealing with emails, document processing, viewing and fine tuning CAD files, and may play a game or two when I'm bored. Sure, I may want to try out the biggest Gameloft blockbuster once in a while, but I'm totally fine with my PSX collection. 

To me, rebooting to android is just too much of a hassle for what few things it offers; I would normally just stick with linux anyway. 

I would assume having 4 cores, 8gb memory, ultraHD display, and a few hundreds of gpus cores won't improving my CAD and document processing experience by a huge amount. 

CDouble, if Pyra runs Android, I'd guess that it would be as an alternate OS/dual boot environment. If this is the case, there wouldn't be a performance impact. . . but you'd have to reboot to get to the other OS. I don't know if there has been any talk to get things to work in any other fashion. The upside to this is native performance in both OSs. The downside is having to reboot to go from one OS to the other. . . assuming somebody does the work to get Android going on the Pyra.
There's been lots of talk (I made several threads on it) but its just not possible or at least not easy. Canonical has done it successfully with Ubuntu for Android but they never released the code :/

I don't get what you guys are arguing about. At most, tegra k1 can run some obscure bad 3d intensive game that looks a bit better than that on an omap5 soc.

It's not the kind of either or situation. It's more like having something at the cost of other specs sort of deal. Even if ED can source a few thousands of Tegra K1, using that means we are to lose most of our backwards competibility and halves our battery life on normal usage just to improve some apps you are not going to even run everyday. I don't see how that's a fair trade.
Or or or Dolphin Emulator for Gamecube and Wii ;)

Back