Nvidia Announce the new Tegra X1 at CES

vcoleiro1

Hardcore Member
Nvidia Announce the new Tegra X1 at CES.  

The X1 will feature a 256-core Maxwell GPU and an eight-core 64bit CPU.  The Kepler GPU in the Tegra K1 already approached console-level quality. The Tegra X1 with Maxwell GPU, surpasses those specs by at least 2x. It also introduces a number of new technologies. “The Maxwell is unquestionably the most powerful GPU we’ve ever built,” the company said today.  

"The X1 can handle 4K video at 60Hz, and is the first mobile chip to exceed 1 teraflop of throughput. The first supercomputer to exceed a teraflop did so in 2000".  I think the PS4 has 1.85 teraflop throughput - probably not quite apple and apples though, not sure.

At this rate , mobile SOCs should start to overtake the performance of the PS4 within 3 years, then what I wonder , remembering the last gen of consoles lasted 8 years. Don't think they are going to get away with that again this time round.

http://techcrunch.com/2015/01/04/nvidia-announced-tegra-x1-with-maxwell-gpu/

http://gizmodo.com/tegra-x1-nvidias-best-desktop-graphics-are-coming-to-m-1677451650

xadxzfiz8yudijqyolcd.jpg

tegra-x1-tflops-645x351.jpg

tegra-x1-specs-710x399.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
At this rate , mobile SOCs should start to overtake the performance of the PS4 within 3 years, then what I wonder , remembering the last gen of consoles lasted 8 years. Don't think they are going to get away with that again this time round.
You are forgetting power consumption and cooling will always be the bottleneck for gaming on mobile. There's no way any mobile SOC will beat a PS4 that needs fans and everything anytime soon.

You are forgetting power consumption and cooling will always be the bottleneck for gaming on mobile. There's no way any mobile SOC will beat a PS4 that needs fans and everything anytime soon.
I wonder if they will have nitrogen cooling for SoCs soon ;)

more power makes games so much better!
My Pandora makes all my retrogames so much better on the go too! ;)

"... is the first mobile chip to exceed 1 teraflop of throughput. The first supercomputer to exceed a teraflop did so in 2000".
Mind = Blown  :blink:  

Makes me wonder if we're getting to the point where we have 'enough' CPU/GPU power, at least for a gaming device.

This thing uses "less then 10 Watt". This means 10 times more power then the Pandora. Heise.de says it is for automotive applications.

Jen Hsun said 10W power consumption for just the SoC, that is going to get pretty toasty. Guessing maybe 10-12W for a complete device

In comparison, the Shield tablet was about 8-10W with tegra K1, and Shield Portable was 5-8W with tegra 4. And the Pandora sitting at 2W seems rather cool in comparison and that thing can produce some heat when it wants to.

"... is the first mobile chip to exceed 1 teraflop of throughput. The first supercomputer to exceed a teraflop did so in 2000".
Mind = Blown :blink:
I suspect, in case you couldn't guess, that that statement is almost 100% marketing balls.

A teraflop done on a GPU is not the same thing as a teraflop done on a FPU, such as the one in a supercomputer. A GPU can do the same floating point op on hundreds of data points at the same time, while a FPU can do a different op on each data point, and in the marketing lingo they count each of those GPU flops as counting towards their 1000 gigaflops.

That's relatively okay for doing 3D maths though, but you won't be doing weather reports on it any time soon.

And the Pandora sitting at 2W seems rather cool in comparison and that thing can produce some heat when it wants to.
I think the Pandora is one of the coolest running devices I own. My phone (similar to dual A9's I think) gets wicked hot in comparison when trying to stream video.

I think the Pandora is one of the coolest running devices I own. My phone (similar to dual A9's I think) gets wicked hot in comparison when trying to stream video.
Even Ipads get hot once you push them a bit too hard. Seriously, mobile gaming is severely restricted by all of these heating issues (and consumption).

now if only they could get mobile games that are better than the 8bit era of video game consoles, if the vita could outsell the 3ds, or at least have games better than the game boy color. how awesome would that be? 

nVidia pulled off this big marketing trick with FLOPs by counting FP16 ops, which they've added to the version of Maxwell in this SoC.

Their ALUs can handle two FP16 FMA ops in place of a single FP32 FMA op, and in terms of area and power consumption cost this is a very sensible decision to make. One IMG has been doing since forever ago. But FP16 ops are not suitable 100% of the time, particularly if you want to maintain the same image quality as PS4 which has no FP16 ops. So it isn't a proper comparison.

FLOPs do not tell the entire story either. There's ROPs, TMUs, triangle setup units, rasterizers, and so on. Consider in particular memory bandwidth, where Tegra X1 has a peak of 25GB/s and PS4 has a peak of 176GB/s. While nVidia has some tricks to reduce bandwidth requirements somewhat it's nowhere close to enough to complete close this giant gap. And I doubt you'll see it close within a scant 3 years either, unless there is a big shift towards high bandwidth stacked memory or huge on-SoC SRAM pools.

The Shield portable has a fan in it, so I would assume a Shield 2 portable would have one as well. No issues there!

Chris

now if only they could get mobile games that are better than the 8bit era of video game consoles
Some of those old games are exceptionally great.  A good game has little to do with hardware. 

if the vita could outsell the 3ds
I am not sure why that matters.

or at least have games better than the game boy color.
As I said, good games have little to do with hardware.  2 of my favorite games, both of which are still very popular, are for the original Game Boy.  If you are talking about graphically better than Game Boy Color, every GBC that I have used was hard to see, and if the Vita games so far are inferior graphically, or by any measure of quality really, why would you want or expect sales to be at a level similar to a system that offers those Game Boy classics that were done right?

Back