Nvidia tegra k1?

ryan27968

Ok, so I know at this point is is probably way too late, but wouldn't it be amazing if we could get the Pyra running an Nvidia Tegra K1? It is a ridiculously powerful mobile gpu/cpu and is basically a GTX Titan except seriously scaled down in terms of speed. It can run OpenGL natively(not OpenGLES, full on OpenGL). It has been shown running Half-Life 2 excellently as well as portal. It would just be so cool if we could do that. But I guess I am just dreaming. Thoughts?

Yes, it would be pretty amazing, but it's been fully investigated: NVidia does not sell chips to third parties, at least not in a way that makes it financially viable for EvilDragon. We've had this discussion half a dozen times (literally, I'm pretty sure there are at least 6 if not more threads trying to convince ED to use a different processor) and every time the answer is the same: OMAP5 is the only one we can use, period. It doesn't matter how cool any other tech is, it is either locked down, has a high entry cost, is not going to be released soon enough, or simply cannot be purchased at all.

Oh ok. I haven't been following the Pyra project that much lately so I was not aware of that. I doubted it would be possible.

though, i do know somebody at nvidia in case ED is interested in talking with someone there

If the OS, emulators, browsing, and the other applications are well optimized and working flawlessly on the OMAP5,

Why we should ever care about the hardware specs of other SoC? (at least at this moment)

After all, the software performance is important, not the hardware :)

Back