Teaser. (More Info to Come)

Yeah, actually, there is. For me they wouldn't do for marketing in Japan, however, hence the reason to go or a totally different artwork.

Last edited by a moderator:
And here's another one.

box-back-down-s2.png

Many thanks to crow_riot for letting us use one image of Paper Wars in the back.

That looks fantastic. Here's hoping it does really well in Japan!

Great work to everyone involved, ED has, deservedly, some talented and hardworking people on his side that get stuff done.

The way the community is pulling together and how a lot of people are doing anything from a little to quite a lot is the main reason I believe all will be well  in the end.

That box design is awfully cute. :)   Suits Japanese market though.

So how about we make some 'Merica boxes that are decorated with stars and strips and possibly with a female OpenPandora love interest on the side? 

Sure the people in the States will love them! B)

Maybe send a bunch of empties to ED to sell?
Then who pays me back for the initial investment ? :)  

As I said all the work I did wasn't free (and rather costly), and it would not be very fair to give it out like that, unless we have an agreement to share the initial costs I have put to start this in the first place. If ED is interested, I'm always open to discussions though :)

Hi,

@ ekianjo & Traylorpark: Good work :)

I have some questions for you though:

1) How strong is Open Source / Linux / etc... in Japan ?

2) Do you think it will bring some Dôjin soft to the Pandora ?

3) Isn't it weird to use the image of a WIP game to promote the Pandora ?

4) What are the main selling points of the Pandora for the Japanese market ?

Bye, Magic Sam

Maybe send a bunch of empties to ED to sell?
Then who pays me back for the initial investment ? :)

As I said all the work I did wasn't free (and rather costly), and it would not be very fair to give it out like that, unless we have an agreement to share the initial costs I have put to start this in the first place. If ED is interested, I'm always open to discussions though :)
For "send" read "sell"

I appreciate that making pretty boxes is expensive

Hi,

@ ekianjo & Traylorpark: Good work :)

I have some questions for you though:

1) How strong is Open Source / Linux / etc... in Japan ?

2) Do you think it will bring some Dôjin soft to the Pandora ?

3) Isn't it weird to use the image of a WIP game to promote the Pandora ?

4) What are the main selling points of the Pandora for the Japanese market ?

Bye, Magic Sam
Allright:

1. Open source / Linux is pretty small in Japan. This is a closed-source loving country. Think Sony, Apple. People don't really care if it's open or not here. Windows and Apple are overly dominant here and Linux does not really exist apart from a few geeks who know about it. At least that's my impression after many year here while being involved with the tech community (many developers use Macs only...)

2. Dojin soft ? Maybe. But again most dojin soft is made for windows, so the conversion is not easy for those developers who know nothing about Linux.

3. Well it's to show off what the Pandora is capable of, plus it's an original game made for the Pandora in the first place, and then I know Traylorpark (who designed the box) who worked on Paperwars too, and it's being finished soon so it won't be WIP very long... :)

4. The main selling point in Japan is the emulator part, but this can't be advertised directly, since this is a very sensitive subject in Japan as most publishers frown upon emulation. Of course emulation exists in Japan, but advertising it directly would be very risky. Rather than exploiting that angle, the idea is to advertise the Pandora as a real computer than can do many things (which is the case) just like the Zaurus from Sharp was a few years ago. And of course, playing ports/original games can be advertised legitimately as well.

This being said, there's a lot of unknowns. There's no device like that on the Japanese market so far, so it's a little gamble to go ahead and distribute it. Worst case, it would not sell at all (and the recent downfall of the yen made it very expensive to Japanese customers), best case: it sells in moderate numbers. I intend to find out more in the process. Honestly I don't have any expectation at this stage in terms of sales.

Congratulations for both the nice new boxes and your brave step into entrepreneurship. Hope the Pandora will sale well in Japan.

Isn't there a problem with language, as the whole gui and keyboard is suited for western users?

I did understand Binky's suggestion to send the boxes to ED as a reply to your remark about shipping costs. Maybe it is less expensive if ED offers them in his shop for some time and then orders all "sold" boxes at once from you. That would also add some handling charges to ED that must be paid by the customers but it might be cheaper nevertheless. It's then all depending on the demand and ED's readiness. The latter being the decisive factor: can ED be loaded with this though he will get some compensation? On the other side that seems to be the purpose of the dragonbox shop: selling rare goods from around the world to eager and thankful customers ;) .

Isn't there a problem with language, as the whole gui and keyboard is suited for western users?
It comes with JP-xfce (at least for all standards elements, not for the Custom ones) and Japanese support for input and reading pre-installed. And Japanese docs (still not 100% complete, though).

I did understand Binky's suggestion to send the boxes to ED as a reply to your remark about shipping costs. (etc...)
It's not just about shipping costs. Making boxes cost money. I can't just make 5 boxes, you order them in hundreds. And the idea is that this box is for the JP market as priority.

Anyway, ED already contacted me so we'll see how we take it from there. :)

Back