New Renderings: Hires And Pandora-res With Size Comparison

Squidge said:
Suing Pandora Devs just because the Pandora is capable of emulating some of there systems wouldn't even get them to court. There are far more devices that can do the same thing.
Right. Nintendo Wii for example. It also emulates many older non-Nintendo Systems and this Idea Big N had stolen from the Emu-Scene...EVIL Nintendo! :D And you have to pay for these non-nintendo Games, I'm sure, Nintendo never payed for every little Arcade-Game they sell now emulated. But the difference is, They have many good lawyers. ^^"""

Afaik Nintendo want to forbit Emulation in general, so they are illegal to because they emulate in the Wii.

The world is hard but unfair...

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think you understand what the Wii's Virtual Console is about... Nintendo are selling the games directly. If they were not allowed to do this, they would have no case if they were sued. You can be pretty sure Nintendo have covered their asses thoroughly with the VC.

Yrx said:
3Designer said:
I personally prefer a d-pad where the cross isn't put together on a round surface like in this one and the one the xbox360 controller have, but I prefer it detached like nintendo and playstation have it (Don't know how to explain it more clear :p ).

I find it quiete annoying to play most emulated games for nintendo consoles and playstation with my xbox360 controller with the similar d-pad because it just isn't as flexible, especially unhandy for mario-like games and fighting games (street fighter, tekken etc.)

Though I remember I once heard that nintendo has patented it's d-pad so it would have to be a little bit different from nintendo's d-pad.
The 360 controller is a bad example. The Saturn had a dpad that looked very similar, and it's generally considered the best dpad on any controller, ever. Especially for fighting games.

I'll take your word on that then..

I only have one request. Make sure the d-pad doesn't suck. If I push down and my guy runs right then I'm not going to like it. This above all else should be priority one. I'm guessing that you guys already know this though.

Yrx said:
The 360 controller is a bad example. The Saturn had a dpad that looked very similar, and it's generally considered the best dpad on any controller, ever. Especially for fighting games.
I know a lot of people say this, but I must be in the minority -- I love the Saturn but hate its D-pad -- too "floaty" for me. The SNES still has the best D-pad ever IMHO.

Yrx said:
The Saturn had a dpad that looked very similar, and it's generally considered the best dpad on any controller, ever. Especially for fighting games.
Depends on which Saturn controller you're talking about. The dpad on the analog controller was quite good, however the dpad on the standard controller just plain sucked, I always had to stop playing after every 30 mintues as my hands would be in pain from the controller.

The Megadrive 6 button pad (not the 3 button pad) had the best ever dpad IMO.

There were 2 revisions of the Saturn controller. The Mk I was so-so:
saturn_big.jpg

The Mk II was the good one:
saturn_cont.jpg

I did a quick search online, and consensus does indeed appear to be that the Saturn Mk II had the best D-pad. Especially for fighting games.

Apparently it was so popular, Sega re-launched the Saturn Mk II as a 3rd party controller -- for the Sony Playstation!
(Play-Asia product page)

I see, I've got one of those shitty Mk I pads, and boy do they suck. Whenever I use my Saturn I play with the 3D/Analog controller, as the dpad & buttons on that are quite good (pity the analog control is just as painful to use as the dpad on the Mk I though)

I've never tried a Mk II, so I wouldn't know if they were good or not.

Actually, looking at the picture on the Play-asia website, that dpad looks exactly the same as the awesome dpad on the Megadrive 6 button controller. In fact, the whole controller looks the same as the MD one.

Yeah, I thought about clarifying that, but then just decided I was lazy, lol.

Funny story, the Mk II controller is actually the original Japanese controller. For some reason, Sega thought it would be a good idea to replace one of the best 2d controllers ever made with the abomination they released in America.

Don't you guys think we should get back on topic and not drone on about that old chestnut called "The 2X joystick" as it's been done to death already.

WarmFluffyUK said:
Don't you guys think we should get back on topic and not drone on about that old chestnut called "The 2X joystick" as it's been done to death already.
We're not talking about the 2X... at all...

So, I had made a improved 3D mockup of what I think could be an interesting Design of the Pandora's outer Lid. To seperate the Pandora Design from a (closed) NDS Lite, the Case could look like this:

(font is just a example)
Such a one piece Relief-thing shouldn't be a problem for the production...maybe. :)

fusion_power said:
So, I had made a improved 3D mockup of what I think could be an interesting Design of the Pandora's outer Lid. To seperate the Pandora Design from a (closed) NDS Lite, the Case could look like this:

(font is just a example)
Such a one piece Relief-thing shouldn't be a problem for the production...maybe. :)

It would be a real problem for anyone wanting to personalize theirs with a sticker or skin however.

Sphinxter said:
fusion_power said:

(font is just a example)

It would be a real problem for anyone wanting to personalize theirs with a sticker or skin however.

It would also be a problem from a cleaning standpoint. Those ridges would quickly get lint and gunk in them, and you would never get it all out of the corners.

Nice design, though. Maybe you could keep the design but instead of the 3D ridges, the lines and logo could be textured differently than the rest of the casing. Texture relief would not prohibit skins or stickers either.

Back