Tapwave Zodiac

matt goode

Website
Visit site
emulators on zodiac? I've searched the internet and can't find much about their emulators. Does anyone know anything about them, OR does anyone have a zodiac?

use the search function. gp32 emus are mostly superior to z emus and some z emus cost money, also the system isnt open as the gp and more expensive.

Z emus are better and free for Snes, Atari ST, nes, gameboy /colour, SCUMM and probably some more obscure ones I've never played. GP32 emus are better for PC engine and genesis. There are a few emus on Zodiac that you have to pay for, but there are free alternatives for most that are better, and you could always just get a *COUGHcrackedCOUGH* version.

hhhm, cunning idea, i like it :rolleyes: . does anyone actually have a zodiac on this forun? iwanna know how they compare
cheers

i used to own one but i couldnt see the point in having it as the gp32 did just as much. so i took it back to pcworld

I have one and I love it :)
If you want nothing but games, a GP32 is probably better, but then again, a BLU is more expensive than a Zod, but a Zod can do so much more

Yeah, I just think the ZOD looks nicer and more solid, i like the idea of having all those palm apps at my disposal as well as duke nukem and doom 2. I also think the firmware looks really good and seems to have a lot of features. Mr Twit, do you use a card reader for you ZOD or the software?
matt

I use a program called Card Export which lets you transfer files like a card reader and is much faster, much like GP Drive for the gp32.

Edit: Yes, it feels very nice and solid as its metal. Its also a lot smaller than the gp.

I also have a Zod. I´d say if you just want Emulation and freeware games you can stick to your GP32. The Zodiac has some very interesting (free) emus the GP32 hasn´t, f.i. it can emulate Amiga and NeoGeo (smaller ROMs) and has better SNES, but overall the GP32 is better for Emulation.

The strengths of the Zodiac over the GP32 are:
-Multimedia: Much better video Playback (higher res, better framerate (~19fps) and better sound possible) Much more storage for Mediafiles (Up to 4GB using double SD slots)
-Commercial games: Much more (good, english) commercial games, many of them 3D (but don´t expect PSP gfx)
-Organizer functions: The best on any mobile gaming device. It´s a palm after all...
-Touchscreen
-Better Ports: Doom, Quake, Hexen, Heretic, Noiz2sa run much better due to higher CPU power and GPU.
-Design: looks really stylish (not like a toy), much slimmer than the GP32 and has a bigger screen.

It´s really worth getting a Zod (at least it was for me) but it´s not a GP32 replacement. Those systems are different... so there´s no real competition going on between them.

I want one soo bad! i was looking at one thta was amazing from currys for £40 as a special offer but i emailed them and they said "ooh no we dont sell them anymore sorry we will take them off our website, thanks for bringing that to our attention" that really pissed me off REALLY! now i need to find another cheapish one, any ideas where i could get the best price?

I've found a site that is selling them pretty cheap so i reckon that i will get one next week. i cant wait, also do you actually use the touch screen function much? has it got good uses for a touch screen?

I've had the pleasure of playing a Zodiac in my time (though I've never owned one)...it really is a nice piece of kit. The metal feels so good on the hands. I would have got one if it wasn't for the PSP and them being overpriced (not anymore though). However, the analog stick would be a major annoyance for emus in my opinion....so that put me off as well.

If I was to get a PDA (not knowing much about PDAs), I'd get a Zodiac.

I've found a site that is selling them pretty cheap so i reckon that i will get one next week. i cant wait, also do you actually use the touch screen function much? has it got good uses for a touch screen?
Yes, I use lots of palm applications which all use the touch screen, as well as lots of palm games which use the touch screen too. For example there is a worms clone with touch screen aiming, and of course the touch screen is brilliant for SCUMM adventure games.
I never thought I would need a palm, but since I got my Zodiac I've been using the organiser functions quite a lot for storing little notes, addresses and my to-do list.

Last edited by a moderator:
aah cool, i cant wait to get mine (im hoping to order it next week when they get moe stock.) I was just wondering mr twit do you have a zodiac 1, or 2?

aah cool, i cant wait to get mine (im hoping to order it next week when they get moe stock.) I was just wondering mr twit do you have a zodiac 1, or 2?
I have a Zodiac 1. The only difference is that the Zod 2 has more internal memory, but for the price difference, you can get a much bigger SD card. The only problem I have with having less internal memory is that you have to keep the internal memory pretty empty for Little John, the emulator, since it needs tons of empty space for some reason. Zod 1s are quite a lot harder to find now, and the price difference is usually not worth the worry.

Edit: By the by, Zodiac Gamer and Tapland are gonna be your new GP32x :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Back