Official Tapwave Zodiac Thread

OrR said:
Zodiac10.jpg
:eek:
Waaait a second, that's Freelancer. Freelancer wasn't on the Zodiac.

Last edited by a moderator:
Orion4874 said:
Does anyone know how to get hot sync to work on win7? It won't even work with bluetooth. For some reason the Zodiac's drivers just won't install, even if I point the way right to them. I'm thinking I'll have to dig out my XP machine.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

BTW, does anyone know of any sites still selling Plasmoids and Firehammer? Can't find 'em anywhere!

Have you tried compatibility mode?

Fishbong said:
OrR said:
:eek:
Waaait a second, that's Freelancer. Freelancer wasn't on the Zodiac.
Nope, that's a slightly "enhanced" screenshot of Galactic Realms. In the real game, there never actually was quite as much stuff on the screen at the same time but generally, it looked like this.

Orion4874 said:
BTW, does anyone know of any sites still selling Plasmoids and Firehammer? Can't find 'em anywhere!
Unfortunately, the Plazmoids! devs seem to have disappeared. :( I tried to contact them quite a few times (about porting their brilliant game to other devices etc.) but they were just gone. It still seems to be sold here: http://www.palm-games.com/plazmoids/ If anyone knows who developed Plazmoids! and where they are now, please tell me!

Nova said:
Orion4874 said:
Does anyone know how to get hot sync to work on win7? It won't even work with bluetooth. For some reason the Zodiac's drivers just won't install, even if I point the way right to them. I'm thinking I'll have to dig out my XP machine.

Yeah, I've tried that as well, same story. It just refuses to see the damn drivers. Idk???

Thanks for the site OrR!

Orion4874 said:
Nova said:
Orion4874 said:

Yeah, I've tried that as well, same story. It just refuses to see the damn drivers. Idk???

Thanks for the site OrR!

You should make a small (<5GB) Windows XP partition on your PC. I know it's a lot of effort, but it's probably the best way to do it.

OrR said:
Nope, that's a slightly "enhanced" screenshot of Galactic Realms. In the real game, there never actually was quite as much stuff on the screen at the same time but generally, it looked like this.
Galactic Realms? By Crimson Fire? I had this game and none of the ships looked like on this screenshot. I mean, you were constantly fighting aliens in Galactic Realms, not those vessels that are from Freelancer. This is how Galactic realms lokked like:
20040802_1_40.jpg

Fishbong said:
OrR said:
Galactic Realms? By Crimson Fire? I had this game and none of the ships looked like on this screenshot. I mean, you were constantly fighting aliens in Galactic Realms, not those vessels that are from Freelancer. This is how Galactic realms lokked like:
20040802_1_40.jpg

HUD is the same.

Well, maybe the other "screenshot" is from a Crimson Fire advertisment, they were known to be full of shit and claiming outrageous things. I agree the HUD is similar though (because it was ripped off from Freelancer).

Anyone here played Galactic Realms? When i played it, there was a mission where you had to eliminate a number of alien transport vessels and the last two appeared at a ridiculous distance, it took you like 15 minutes to get to them (usually the travel distances in missions was much shorter) and when you shot them down, the game froze and you had to reset your Zodiac. I never bothered looking into it as the game wasn't very good (and usually i LOVE space combat games).

The screenshot I posted isn't from the finished game. Models and textures were lower res. However, I'm pretty sure those ships are very similar to ships actually used in the game.

Galactic Realms wasn't very stable and Crimsonfire were a bunch of idiots. I still liked the game a lot, though. The mission design wasn't that great but ok most of the time. Has anyone still got the addon campaign around that I made? I need to find it again...

I booted up Crimson Fields for the first time last night on my Tungsten. I would have gotten around to it earlier (about a year earlier, in fact) but I didn't have an SD card until now. I only played a bit of it, and must say that I'm impressed. While I have a (MAJOR!) preference to RTS over turn based, the developers did an awesome job on it.

Orion4874 said:
Is anybody familiar with the PSX emu? Are thare any games that are actually playable? How about the othe emus for that matter. I havn't tried any of them yet.
Ah, PPSX? I don't think it's at all fullspeed on much anything. I tried it on my Tungsten T|5. Watched it crash. Moved along...
I do recommend trying LJZ, though. It does a *LOT*.

For the person who is having trouble hotsyncing... what I did was install in administrator mode first and foremost, this ensures the drivers are installed properly. Then I changed the hotsync manager and palm desktop shortcuts to run in Win XP SP2 compatibility mode WITH administrator priviledeges. Using this setup I have been able to hotsync from Windows Vista...

Hooka said:
For the person who is having trouble hotsyncing... what I did was install in administrator mode first and foremost, this ensures the drivers are installed properly. Then I changed the hotsync manager and palm desktop shortcuts to run in Win XP SP2 compatibility mode WITH administrator priviledeges. Using this setup I have been able to hotsync from Windows Vista...
I tried what you said Hooka, with no luck. Which version of Vista were you using? 32 bit or 64? I'm almost positive my problems stem from my using a 64 bit OS.

Can somebody add this link:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/sdlpalmos/files/

?
It's a port of SDL for Palm OS 5 and some ports, like Freedroid.

The Zodiac section of the archive is up and running so upload 'em if you got 'em!

A big thank you to ED for coming through for us!!! :D

EDIT
I tried uploading a few files but I keep getting a file url is invalid error. Not sure why. Can someone else try and see if you have better luck?

EDIT
Contacted ED and he fixed it. :)

Orion4874 said:
The Zodiac section of the archive is up and running so upload 'em if you got 'em!

EDIT
I tried uploading a few files but I keep getting a file url is invalid error. Not sure why. Can someone else try and see if you have better luck?
Sorry to seem n00bish, but this is http://openhandhelds.org we're talking about? I don't see any link for Zod there yet.

Jourdy288 said:
Orion4874 said:

EDIT
Sorry to seem n00bish, but this is http://openhandhelds.org we're talking about? I don't see any link for Zod there yet.
It's not on that page yet(Cannoo either). Click one of the other pics and when that opens up you'll see the Zodiac icon above. Choose it from there.

I started uploading some things to the archive but I started thinking that I should be getting permission from the people that worked on these programs. So Skeesix, Tinnus, Zodtt, and the others I didn't mention, is it ok? If not, can you upload them yourselves? I really don't want to have to PM everyone individually. Or, if anyone has some advice on this let me know if it's just ok to do so.

I've fired up a fair few pieces of software, but I think I'm gonna take a break... I barely scratched the surface of what I really got hidden away too :p

Orion4874: I used Win Vista 32 bit for using Zodiac Desktop :S

Back