Tapwave Zodiac 2

My gp2x was stolen and that is all explained in this thread: Gp2X woes
I was wondering if i should get the zodiac (Tapwave Zodiac 2 Console) because I do not have enough money pay for a sd card and the shipping cost. I do plan to get another gp2x and I see the zodiac as a temporary alternative. Is it worth it? :ph34r:
My personal opinion is no for emulators and yes for movies. Although I don't own a GP2X, I do have a Zodiac and I can say that movie playback is fantastic but the emulators for it are a bit buggy. I think it is called "Little John" that emulates most systems and games that do work on it work great but so many roms seem to lock up the system or just lock up themselves and I have to exit to the main menu or press the reset button. It is a fun toy, but from what I understand of the GP2X and what it can do, the Zodiac is no replacement for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just bought a zodiac 1 and am realizing that it compliments my gp2x very well. My gp2x is mostly for emulation and some homebrew now. I don't use the zodiac for emulation but I do use it for the vast selection of palm 5 apps and games as well as the commercial games written for the zodiac. It is also much better for watching videos on. So if the main thing that you want to do with your device is use it for emulation you should probably wait till you can get another 2x but if you just want a handheld with plenty of things to play around with and good video/audio/picture viewing and playing then you should get the zodiac to hold you over till you get the other 2x.

Im not an expert on this as ive had a zodiac for like a week but I haven't come across any apps that needed the ram of a zodiac 2... why not save the money and just get a zodiac 1. Again this may be wrong but everything has run fine on my zodiac 1 so far.

I just bought a zodiac 1 and am realizing that it compliments my gp2x very well. My gp2x is mostly for emulation and some homebrew now. I don't use the zodiac for emulation but I do use it for the vast selection of palm 5 apps and games as well as the commercial games written for the zodiac. It is also much better for watching videos on. So if the main thing that you want to do with your device is use it for emulation you should probably wait till you can get another 2x but if you just want a handheld with plenty of things to play around with and good video/audio/picture viewing and playing then you should get the zodiac to hold you over till you get the other 2x.

Im not an expert on this as ive had a zodiac for like a week but I haven't come across any apps that needed the ram of a zodiac 2... why not save the money and just get a zodiac 1. Again this may be wrong but everything has run fine on my zodiac 1 so far.
I do not have a choice in which zodiac I buy, I plan to purchase it from the gp2x store which only has version 2.
Gp2x store-Zodiac 2 page :ph34r:

what i don't understand is that you said that you wanted one to hold you over until you could buy a gp2x, but they cost 170 dollars on gp2xstore and other stores have gp2x's for the same price. Or maybe with the stupid value pack thing it would only be 20 dollars more. Still not much of a difference.

gameboyadvancebs posted on Feb 10 2007 at 03:09 AM said:
well i received the zodiac 2 and it is cool, but i do miss the gp2x.

Exchange it then. I didn't like it for emulation. I couldn't get used to that analog pad, it was way sloppier than the GP2X stick. Plus emus had to be stretched to fit the screen making them fuzzy. It was a good PDA if you need one though.

DaveC posted on Feb 9 2007 at 07:18 PM said:
gameboyadvancebs posted on Feb 10 2007 at 03:09 AM said:
well i received the zodiac 2 and it is cool, but i do miss the gp2x.

Exchange it then. I didn't like it for emulation. I couldn't get used to that analog pad, it was way sloppier than the GP2X stick. Plus emus had to be stretched to fit the screen making them fuzzy. It was a good PDA if you need one though.

lol, I couldn't do that, I'm getting ds lite for my birthday, (which is tomorrow) so ill probably get another gp2x during summer. The analog pad is as bad as the the gp2x stick and yes as for emulation it can't compare to the gp2x. However I do use it's pda capabilities, so it works out. :ph34r:

emulation for the zod is not too bad, LJP (NES, GG, SNES, etc.) and ZodMAME are quite good. I love zodMAME, it is based on MAME 036. ...and this means Pole Position I & II.

Back