Update Tanks of Freedom 0.6.2

I tested the game recently, and controls doesn't work, unless i use the custom ones i did with Godot editor.

Here's the engine.cfg file contents, in case i did something wrong.

[application]

name="Tanks of Freedom"
main_scene="res://game.xscn"
disable_stdout=false
use_shared_user_dir=true
icon="res://assets/icons/icon128.png"
target_fps=30
boot_bg_color=#ff000000
boot_splash="res://assets/splash_screen.png"

[audio]

use_chorus_reverb=false
stream_volume_scale=0.5
fx_volume_scale=0.2

[debug]

print_fps=false
print_metrics=false

[display]

width=800
height=480
resizable=true
fullscreen=true
stretch_mode="viewport"
stretch_aspect="keep"
orientation="landscape"

[image_loader]

filter=false
gen_mipmaps=false

[input]

ui_accept=[jbutton(0, 1), key(End)]
ui_cancel=[jbutton(0, 2), key(PageDown)]
ui_left=[jbutton(0, 15), key(Left)]
ui_right=[jbutton(0, 13), key(Right)]
ui_up=[jbutton(0, 12), key(Up)]
ui_down=[jbutton(0, 14), key(Down)]

[locale]

translations=["translations/translations.en.xl", "maps/translations/campaign.en.xl"]

[rasterizer]

trilinear_mipmap_filter=false
anisotropic_filter_level=1.0
use_pixel_snap=true

[render]

room_cull_enabled=false
thread_model=1
mipmap_policy=0
shadows_enabled=false
default_clear_color=#ff005784
light_discard_enabled=true

[tof]

resolution_override=false
enable_workshop=true
enable_save_load=true
default_zoom=0.5
selector_offset=0
online=true
api_location="http://api.tof.p1x.in"
map_upload_win=false
pandora_input=true
hud_layout="pandora"
hud_allow_overscan=true

The configuration looks ok. I have tested this on PC keyboard, pressing buttons you have listed on one of the previous posts. Maybe Godot sees your buttons differently. I will prepare a simple project, that will help to diagnose what buttons are being pressed. Godot gamepad demo might work too, but I'm not sure.

Hello! Sorry for a long wait. I thought about properly mapping all of the controlls for Pandora (and issues with that) and then I've got it: why try to work it out the hard way, if we can do this much easier. @canseco you have already mapped ui_accept and ui_cancel events with success, so I have based controls for Pandora on events as well.

Here is an example part of engine.cfg for that. If you can map these events for Pandora, then all gamepad functions should work as well, and then we can include them in 0.5.1 release.

Code:
[input]

gamepad_build=[key(Home)]
gamepad_end=[key(PageUp)]
gamepad_next=[key(Control)]
gamepad_prev=[key(Shift)]

Here is an example part of engine.cfg for that. If you can map these events for Pandora, then all gamepad functions should work as well, and then we can include them in 0.5.1 release.

I did a quick test and it works.

I did a quick test and it works.

That's awesome!
Also a heads-up: next version will most likely be moving to Godot 2.1 as soon as there is a stable release. We want to do this, because it has way better support for fonts, which we need for translations - covering non-latin chars with current version is not exactly good :) Have you tried compiling 2.1 RC for Pandora?

That's awesome!
Also a heads-up: next version will most likely be moving to Godot 2.1 as soon as there is a stable release. We want to do this, because it has way better support for fonts, which we need for translations - covering non-latin chars with current version is not exactly good :) Have you tried compiling 2.1 RC for Pandora?

It seems they already released 2.1 stable version.

I'm not the maintainer for the engine on the repo, but i would ask if it could be updated.

Sorry didn't have time to update my godot-builds to 2.1 yet, but I hope I will get to do it this weekend.
I just hope that all the new stuff that got added doesn't make the merge too difficult ...

( ... also it seems my forum-thread for the godot-port is gone for some reason ... will have to look into that as well ... )

I did a extensive test, and the updated engine works very well with this game.

We have published ToF 0.5.1 with some translations and different seasons in campaign battles. Now on itch and Play, looking forward to Pandora as well! Feel free to report if you encounter any issues :)

Feel free to report if you encounter any issues :)

There's a little problem with the menus text rendering.

tof-menus.png

At least "Skirmish" text button is fine, ;)

That's certainly... interesting. I will tell w84death to have a look at these labels, maybe there is something special about that one that is not broken. On a side-note there is 0.5.1.1 hotfix to add missing translations for android.

We have inspected this menu, and it turns out, that Skirmish button is ok, because it still uses old way to render font - we have to fix that, so it will be broken for you as well. w84death suggested, that it might be because of wrong handling of TTF fonts, maybe new font implementation on Pandora is not ported correctly (@x1212 ?). Or maybe it just sets wrong default character spacing.

Edit:
We might have found a way to set default spacing in the font theme, we will work on that later today.

Last edited:
Hmm ... I don't think I touched anything related to font rendering ... but I have to admit I didn't really get to make sure everything works and didn't really look that much at the new stuff in 2.1 (usually I at least try all the demos, but this time I only tested a few of the old ones).
But I'd be surprised if the font rendering part had such platform dependencies.

That is not good. We can't replicate this on any other platform, so it seems to be connected somehow with Pandora build of the Godot engine. Do you know if anyone in Poland has Pandora? It would be way easier to debug having the device :D
[doublepost=1471938339,1471937315][/doublepost]We have compared these two screenshots, and apparently our change worked... somewhat. It seems, that the font setting is added to the default instead of replacing it. You can try patching your version by changing the font spacing in the theme to something like -15 or more (here: https://github.com/w84death/Tanks-of-Freedom/blob/master/gui/default_theme.tres#L8). You may also modify whitespace size as well if it is still off. In the meantime I will try to figure out if we could incorporate this modified theme into our repository without breaking all other platforms. Or x1212 finds and fixes the issue :)

Do you know if anyone in Poland has Pandora? It would be way easier to debug having the device

I don't know anyone in Poland, but the Classic OpenPandora is cheaper these days, on the shop or second hand, ;)

extra_spacing/char = -15 was not enough, so i tried -20 and this is how it looks:

tof-menu.png

tof-ingame.png

tof-building.png
tof-soldier.png

Did you tried to force resolution to 800x480 on your PC? It would be more cheap for testing purposes.

A bit better, but still bad. Yes, we have tried lower resolution - we are always testing each release if it works in Pandora resolution.
I believe we would have to modify all of the existing themes for other labels. I'm afraid it would still not solve issue with labels being off-center. Without finding the root cause of the issue we will not be able to fix this :/

Back