Taking Apart The Gp2x

apgunner

Still Fresh
hey im tryin to get in my gp2x because there is some dirt on the screen and i can't get it off cuz of course its underneath the screen cover. i took off the four screws on the back but it didn't come off is there another one? maybe under that sticker. hope not unless theres an easy way to take off the sticker and put it back on.

apgunner posted on Oct 2 2006 at 02:39 AM said:
hey im tryin to get in my gp2x because there is some dirt on the screen and i can't get it off cuz of course its underneath the screen cover. i took off the four screws on the back but it didn't come off is there another one? maybe under that sticker. hope not unless theres an easy way to take off the sticker and put it back on.

holy hell i thought this would be easy no one knows? or no one wants to help =(

Last edited by a moderator:
There are only 4 screws to remove, once the back cover is off, there are no more. You need to carefully lift the front case off the 4 places where the screws were, lifting gently at the bottom to clear the motherboard from the top (where the SD card slot is). Be careful, at the bottom of the case is the ribbon cables for the LCD screen, damage these and there is no return.

This gets the front cover off. You can gently prise the LCD off the casing then, be very careful. Use compressed air (if you have some) to remove the dust from the LCD screen - don't touch the screen with your finger; any grime or grease will look awful.

As always, you are entirely responsible for anything you do to your machine, your risk entirely, all the Forum can do is give you advice. If you don't know what you are doing, don't do it, unless you are prepared to take a risk.

You pretty much need to tear down the whole machine, and it's full of easily broken plastic. In fact a lot of it has to be FORCED part. I am not kidding you. Nearly nothing is held by a screw, just by parts forced in place. It's better to just take a sharp tool and lift a notch on the corner and pull that screen protector off, clean and reapply.

Do it in a dust-free environment, like a steamy bathroom after the shower runs for a while. Or you'll find more dust later ..

I do remeber a thread a (long) while ago when someone mentioned using a hairdryer to soften the glue that holds the screen srotector in place. You could then remove it, clean your screen and replace the protector without mucking around with the innards of your GP2X.

Drifter posted on Oct 2 2006 at 09:05 AM said:
I do remeber a thread a (long) while ago when someone mentioned using a hairdryer to soften the glue that holds the screen srotector in place. You could then remove it, clean your screen and replace the protector without mucking around with the innards of your GP2X.
Indeed, and if you can do it this way, it would be far better - try this first.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the same problem. Getting the whole screen out to reach the protective cover from the inside is not easy, as the screen is like 'glued' in place. I had to pull the sides apart with both hands, really scary experience ;)

well i got the back cover off but i saw there was no easy way to get to the screen so i'll try going from the fron then like you said

If it's under the screen then you can prise of the screen. I've done this in the past using a hair dryer on low heat. I used a pin to prise up the screen.

However you should be very careful to use a LOW heat so as to not overheat the GP2X.

be nice if this was easy like the psp screen where u can take off the front cover but of course the dust is under my gp2x and not my psp

Back