Votes: 0 0.0%
  • it's fine how it is!

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • not sure...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

aphexpusher

Still Fresh
whether it be for kanji practice, sketching on the go, or playing a cool homebrew that is completely touch screen based would the Pandora enjoy more praise for enabling some kind of tablet mode? B)

I must admit, I would like a tablet mode, and I think adding one would greatly increase Pandora's appeal outside the GP32x area (into the normal PDA crowd).

But I'd be happy to take it as it is if adding tablet mode would jack up the price a lot....

It also occurs to me that this is the sort of thing that has no bearing on software at all - so it could be slipped into an MK2 device in a year's time without introducing incompatibilities or whatnot if they need to get the device going in the first place.

Tobriand said:
I must admit, I would like a tablet mode, and I think adding one would greatly increase Pandora's appeal outside the GP32x area (into the normal PDA crowd).

But I'd be happy to take it as it is if adding tablet mode would jack up the price a lot....
I do agree with ya. leave the price as low as possible. "don't raise me bro!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Tablet mode would be nice, but what are the costs? Extra delay (months?), will the price go up? What are the alternatives, I don't want a detachable keyboard and a sliding keyboard is patented so probably the price would go up even more.

If a sliding keyboard fa costs 25 euro more and redesigning it wouldn't delay the launch, I'd gladly pay that.

b_o_b said:
Tablet mode would be nice, but what are the costs? Extra delay (months?), will the price go up? What are the alternatives, I don't want a detachable keyboard and a sliding keyboard is patented so probably the price would go up even more.

If a sliding keyboard fa costs 25 euro more and redesigning it wouldn't delay the launch, I'd gladly pay that.
that is a really good point. delaying the release date at all is unacceptable. we are all pretty much salivating for this machine so yeah... no waiting more than needed... that would suck. all in all I think just get it out asap. too many delays is death. remember XGP anybody? :rolleyes:

Who says there has to be a delay to the current device for a tablet to be made? Take the current machine, and sell it as intended. Make a second machine with the identical hardware spec aside from the keyboard, replace it with a onscreen keyboard, and a driver that allows it to be seen as the old keyboard for any software. That way developers don't have to bother with which unit you got.
I'd get the second unit, in a hearbeat. It would also widen the user base, making more people interested in developing for it, and in turn making even more people buy it. All adds up to more profit for the makers, and nobody thinks they do this without a intent to make profit?
B!

Mr B said:
Make a second machine with the identical hardware spec aside from the keyboard, replace it with a onscreen keyboard, and a driver that allows it to be seen as the old keyboard for any software.
B!
Nice idea, don't think the Pandora team will go for this though. Maybe after the launch they could do some market research and see if people liked it and what could be done to improve it.

Yeah, that was the point. Make do with what there is now, and see if there can be more money made from a second 100% compatible device. I'm just afraid the first device will cost so much to make, and sell, with so little revenue that the second unit never gets made, regardless of if it would be a huge hit, or not.
B!

Tablet mode, tablet mode, we want tablet mode! How much extra would you guys be prepared to pay for that? I'd say $50 tops.

I would love that, and I bet practically anyone would. But there are problems- I bet it would add to price significantly maybe more than is possible, delay it again, and just be a worry. No offence intended but this is a kind of small cheap operation I take it up to the big companies, and something like this unless done with professional strong quality could easily kill it if units started breaking left and right. Price wouldn't bother me to get the best it can be personally but I know they hope to sell this at least a little worldwide, and it's already on the threshold of many outside the UK from what I gather

As far as I know, a 'turn and clam' screen-keyboard joint might not make the unit that much more expensive, and would not really delay much at all either. Or allowing the Pandora's screen to completely swing over to the back (so that the 'top' side would be the screen, whereas the 'bottom' side would be keyboard/gaming controls).. Add a little hard-cover outer shell that goes over the keyboard/gaming controls and you have yourself a cheap and nice tablet Pandora.
See:
pandora.png

Also, a 'second edition' Pandora WITH tablet abilities has pretty severe implications on software. Least impact it'd have is lots of people screaming to the developers, asking for tablet-enabled controls...

Basically, what I'm saying is that if it should make the Pandora only 10 euros more expensive, and delay the Pandora by a month or so, it's *TOTALLY* worth it, and it will *TOTALLY* sell a *LOT* more (iPod peoples, etc.) and hence be something to at least put some thought into...

I'd absolutely love for it to have a tablet mode, but the hinge worries me :/
I want this thing to last a while and not break in a year's time.

So, are tablet hinges notoriously finicky to deal with? To tell you the truth, I haven't had much experience with tablets.

Megagun said:
As far as I know, a 'turn and clam' screen-keyboard joint might not make the unit that much more expensive, and would not really delay much at all either. Or allowing the Pandora's screen to completely swing over to the back (so that the 'top' side would be the screen, whereas the 'bottom' side would be keyboard/gaming controls).. Add a little hard-cover outer shell that goes over the keyboard/gaming controls and you have yourself a cheap and nice tablet Pandora.
See:
pandora.png

Also, a 'second edition' Pandora WITH tablet abilities has pretty severe implications on software. Least impact it'd have is lots of people screaming to the developers, asking for tablet-enabled controls...

Basically, what I'm saying is that if it should make the Pandora only 10 euros more expensive, and delay the Pandora by a month or so, it's *TOTALLY* worth it, and it will *TOTALLY* sell a *LOT* more (iPod peoples, etc.) and hence be something to at least put some thought into...
Who says the screen can't go back to 180 degrees? Actually it should (the DS does) and in this position it would be pretty close to a tablet anyway. Plus in this totally open mode it can easily be held in portrait mode for vertical arcade games and text/book/PDF (some docs just fit better portrait) readers. Remember it isn't that big with it open all of the way like this it will still be palm sized.
pandorapic.png

hmm.. you're kinda mild lately DaveC. Did Craigx offer you money or did the Pandora company kidnap your family? Or no... they've brainwashed you!
We want our old DaveC back, you bastards!

Maybe if you put everything in the half that have the screen and not under the keyboard (a la x86 imac, and not a la laptop), the part with all the buttons could be completly detachable ?

The problem is that it would imply a very thick and heavy screen with a thin and light keyboard, and therefore couldn't be used as a laptop (ie, you put the keyboard on a table and the screen comes perpendicular). Plus, it can make the device fragile if you hold it only by the gamepad/keyboard part.

I doubt that change would open up the market in any significant way. Most people looking for a PDA will buy a PDA, and not a gaming device with a tablet mode. From a business user's perspective, it would be quite ludicrous and not a viable PDA replacement.

I wouldn't pay an extra $20 for a tablet mode on this (and I suspect the price would need to rise even further than this). Also, every month it is delayed will make the specs less impressive as other devices come onto the market.

GunPei2X said:
I doubt that change would open up the market in any significant way. Most people looking for a PDA will buy a PDA, and not a gaming device with a tablet mode. From a business user's perspective, it would be quite ludicrous and not a viable PDA replacement.

I wouldn't pay an extra $20 for a tablet mode on this (and I suspect the price would need to rise even further than this). Also, every month it is delayed will make the specs less impressive as other devices come onto the market.
I almost fully agree with you and also don't think the tablet mode is needed and delays are very bad. I do believe that people will buy this as a PDA replacement though. Maybe not for business purposes but certainly for private use, if Pandora can be synced with Outlook or Evolution (Linux counterpart) this will be a fantastic feature.

It might be worth adding to this thread that MWeston's posted in the sleep mode one that it detects the lid being closed using a hale sensor on the magnets in the speakers. Which means tablet mode redign would be a touch complex, since it would have to distinguish between a closed lid and a switch to tablet mode...

Just a though, much as I'd like it...

I am not interested in using this as a pda replacment at all. Im interested in using the tablet mode for all kinds of reasons other than pda type usage. starcraft or warcraft would be freakin amazing on a tablet. anyways its not neccesary but if it doesnt cost or delay too much than I think its definately worth it.

Back