Sw33t System, But What Do I Do Now?

Dude I was in exactly the same situation as you. Had my 2GB card all ready with movies and quake on it, and to my disappointment it wouldn't be recognised by the GP2x. I tried and tried to access the NAND, but found out its not possible, and good luck partitioning the card cause I fiddled around in Linux for ages trying and nothing would correctly detect the size of the card (ie fdisk, sdisk...)

Think about it, the only way you'll be able to get new firmware on is a smaller temporary card... that is REALLY crap, but I've learned to accept it. The 64 meg card I borrowed from my friend kept crashing the GP2x so I had to buy my own off ebay. 256 meg for £11, go for it! There's no other way :(

I have a 2gb sd, which I know is a problem, so i tried to put stuf on my NAND memory....cept my USP wont detect the system. I know people have had dodgy usb connections, but what am I supposed to do now?

I have some other questions, but let's start with that. Any help's appreciated greatly. feel free to direct me to the right thread if I missed my answer somewhere. there are a lot of thread on this new system, so its a bit confusing :(

- DCGM
If you're going to "fiddle around" with Linux and an sd card, I recommend a distro like PCLinuxOS, in which you don't have to use fdisk or cfdisk; it detects all my sd cards correctly...

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so now im faced with something a bit more serious. Should I email Craig and tell him I have a faulty unit? It seems no matter what I do I cant get connectivity between my 2x and my windows xp pro sp2 laptop. This sucks.

If I manage to get a smaller sd and put the new firmware on it, will that fix my connectivity problem? THIS IS THE QUESTION!!

If its not easily repaired, Im going to get a replacement......

Dude I was in exactly the same situation as you. Had my 2GB card all ready with movies and quake on it, and to my disappointment it wouldn't be recognised by the GP2x. I tried and tried to access the NAND, but found out its not possible, and good luck partitioning the card cause I fiddled around in Linux for ages trying and nothing would correctly detect the size of the card (ie fdisk, sdisk...)

Think about it, the only way you'll be able to get new firmware on is a smaller temporary card... that is REALLY crap, but I've learned to accept it. The 64 meg card I borrowed from my friend kept crashing the GP2x so I had to buy my own off ebay. 256 meg for £11, go for it! There's no other way :(

I have a 2gb sd, which I know is a problem, so i tried to put stuf on my NAND memory....cept my USP wont detect the system. I know people have had dodgy usb connections, but what am I supposed to do now?

I have some other questions, but let's start with that. Any help's appreciated greatly. feel free to direct me to the right thread if I missed my answer somewhere. there are a lot of thread on this new system, so its a bit confusing :(

- DCGM
If you're going to "fiddle around" with Linux and an sd card, I recommend a distro like PCLinuxOS, in which you don't have to use fdisk or cfdisk; it detects all my sd cards correctly...

Thanks for the tip, but Fedora Core has served me well for many years, and I'm sure with some more "fiddling around" it may be possible to detect the SD card :p I've never been one to take the easy way out!

Ok, so now im faced with something a bit more serious. Should I email Craig and tell him I have a faulty unit? It seems no matter what I do I cant get connectivity between my 2x and my windows xp pro sp2 laptop. This sucks.

If I manage to get a smaller sd and put the new firmware on it, will that fix my connectivity problem? THIS IS THE QUESTION!!

um, no one knows?

um, no one knows?
I see no reason why it would make any difference at all. I may not have read everything, but why don't you buy a USB card reader?

um, no one knows?
I see no reason why it would make any difference at all. I may not have read everything, but why don't you buy a USB card reader?
I have one, but if it turns out my unit is faulty then i was to exchange it. if its firmware related, then cest la vie

edit: I also want the connection so I can access the NAND :rolleyes:

Did you try a different cable? Some said there were bad cables..but I haven't been up on the news latley with school being so busy these last few weeks. And Im reading Robert Jordan's Wheel of time series (its some good shit)

Did you try a different cable? Some said there were bad cables..but I haven't been up on the news latley with school being so busy these last few weeks. And Im reading Robert Jordan's Wheel of time series (its some good shit)
yea i tried 3 others to no avail :(

still dont know whether or not a firmware update will fix this or I have a faulty unit......

You could smash it with a hammer and post a video...I would contact craig with your issue, but I don't think he will have an answer. I bet it will get fixed with a firmware though (im a bettin man)

W00t!!!!!!!!!

Progress is being made!! I went out and bought a 128 sd and everything is coming along beautifully. Amen

everything shows such hope, my sound works, and the headphone jack seems OK ;)

im thrilled, so thanks to everyone who has helped in this thread. any others questions and you bet ill be back in this thread!! HURRRRRRAY ;) ;) ;) ;)

Back