Release supertux2


Pickle

Mega GP Mania
Joined
May 30, 2006
Messages
5,516
Location
Detroit, Michigan
Website
Visit site
I got supertux2 to run tonight, I probably should have grabbed version 1 (well I thought i was) instead I have the svn of the cutting edge supertux2 and well it runs.
Its a little slow in some of the initial runs, but hey this is cutting edge and our soft sdl isnt the fastest.
I ran it at 840x480 (cant change) seems to support widescreen, the sound and music sound great.
Without sound/music and it of course runs faster.

I will try to compile the latest version of supertux1.
Maybe some videos of either this week
 

Vorporeal

Yes, no, I, this is.
Joined
Sep 13, 2007
Messages
1,614
Age
32
Website
Visit site
Nice! I didn't even know that they had made a SuperTux 2... I should check that out - I loved SuperTux.
 

Yod4z

Member
Joined
Feb 16, 2006
Messages
916
Age
43
Location
France
IIRC supertux 2 use OpenGL and 640*480 minimum that's the big difference between 1.*. Supertux 1 will run super smoothly on Pandora :lol:
Thank you Pickle and other devs for your effort to port lots of games to Pandora before It launch :D
 

frefol

Member
Joined
Apr 20, 2006
Messages
189
The difference between Supertux 1 and 2 is kind of like the difference between Super Mario Bros and Super Mario World. It adds a lot of really cool features plus forest levels.
 

joa

Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2008
Messages
377
Age
36
Location
UK
That's awesome news Pickle, cheers for the announcement
 

Pickle

Mega GP Mania
Joined
May 30, 2006
Messages
5,516
Location
Detroit, Michigan
Website
Visit site
I didnt compile it with opengl support, so it does support software rendering.

Version 2 does seem a bit nicer than 1, there some movies/cut scenes in this version. The detail is pretty good, looks very nice at 800x480. I think with some overclock this will be smooth with sound/music.

By the way in order to get this going I had to build these libs: ogg, vorbisogg, openal
 

joa

Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2008
Messages
377
Age
36
Location
UK
It is possible that a future build will support OpenGL?

Also, Do we have a single location with details of all games available, being ported, or port progress? There have been quite a few that appear really but I won't know where to find them unless i randomly come across the game on the forum - Just thinking out loud.
 

Pickle

Mega GP Mania
Joined
May 30, 2006
Messages
5,516
Location
Detroit, Michigan
Website
Visit site
joa said:
It is possible that a future build will support OpenGL?

Also, Do we have a single location with details of all games available, being ported, or port progress? There have been quite a few that appear really but I won't know where to find them unless i randomly come across the game on the forum - Just thinking out loud.

I might take a look at the opengl used, it just depends on how much we are missing since we have ogl-es. It certainly would help run the game faster.

There was a thread that was trying to collaborate all the projects on the other forums, that also started off some work on the wiki, I would look there first.
 

tuxdev

Still Fresh
Joined
Dec 22, 2007
Messages
3
Hey, I just saw you drop by #supertux. I've been tracking Pandora for a while and kind of wanted one of the dev kits for ST development.. I actually ordered a Pandora, but after the banking fiasco I thought it better to let the situation settle a bit and wait for the second batch.

Anyhow, we've been working on converting the codebase to OpenGL ES because the Wiz guys gave a couple of us some kits. I don't really know how that is going.

Oh, and it's really just pedantic, but ST2 doesn't technically exist yet, it's just been tech demos so far. We really need some good level designers that know when to use new features (and more importantly, know when NOT to use the new features).

By the way, does light+magic work anywhere near decently?
 

Pickle

Mega GP Mania
Joined
May 30, 2006
Messages
5,516
Location
Detroit, Michigan
Website
Visit site
tuxdev said:
Hey, I just saw you drop by #supertux. I've been tracking Pandora for a while and kind of wanted one of the dev kits for ST development.. I actually ordered a Pandora, but after the banking fiasco I thought it better to let the situation settle a bit and wait for the second batch.
Yeah I just wanted to drop by and let you guys know the news, i didnt stick around since it seems kind of dead.

tuxdev said:
Anyhow, we've been working on converting the codebase to OpenGL ES because the Wiz guys gave a couple of us some kits. I don't really know how that is going.
awesome, we have opengles SDL support, it seems soft SDL is still in the code. Do you know what state the latest svn is in? I was planning to dig around to see if it would work.

tuxdev said:
Oh, and it's really just pedantic, but ST2 doesn't technically exist yet, it's just been tech demos so far. We really need some good level designers that know when to use new features (and more importantly, know when NOT to use the new features).
Yeah I intended to compile version 1, but happened to grab ST2 :)

tuxdev said:
By the way, does light+magic work anywhere near decently?
Im not sure I know what your referring to, it is part of the game play? Its a bit hard for me to play the game at the moment, my usb croaked so the only control i have is pecking pcb pads with a joystick rubber pad. Its quite a challenge to get over vertical hills ;-)
The fade in an out seems to slow down.
 

Prometheus

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 8, 2008
Messages
9,475
Just wanted to say thankyou very much, Pickle - I love SuperTux. :D (Looking forward to the videos, if/when you're able to do them, as well.)
 
Top