Super Mario Wars

BuD

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
Hi everybody! I have ported Super Mario War 1.6 to GP2X.
It runs fine 15-20fps with autoframeskip added by me (resized from 640x480 to 320x240 using paeryn's SDL) and I mapped controls to be GP2X friendly.

Download: http://www.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,35,1669
Source: http://www.gp32x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,46,1032

To execute it on GP2X, download the smw 1.6 binaries for linux (get here) with all needed data. Copy "smw.gpe" into game folder, then copy the folder wherever u want on your SD.
[CUT]
Controls:
Code:
Game

Start
	Pause game
Select
	Exit back to menu

Player

Stick Left / Right
	Move left / right
X Button
	Jump
Stick Down
	Jumps down through solid on top blocks
A Button / B Button
	Turbo running and jumping (shoots fireball if player has fire powerup or explodes bob-omb in bob-omb mode)
Y Button
	Use Bonus Powerup

Menu

Stick Up/Down
	Choose menu option
Stick Left/Right
	Change menu option
B/Start Button
	Select menu option (also changes game mode goal)
X/Select Button
	Exit back
A Button
	Picks random map or mode when selected
Hold Y Button
	Map View Mode

Menu Map View Mode

Stick Left/Right
	Switch to next/previous map
A Button
	Picks a random map
B Button
	Start game
R Button
	Skips 10 maps at a time when pressing Left/Right

Player Select

Stick Left/Right
	Select Team
Stick Up/Down
	Select Skin
Start/B Button
	Starts game
That's All.
Later.[/CUT]

doesnt work, i load the gpe and it just sits on a black screen..

edit: didnt read the post, just downloaded it from the archive..

15-20 FPS .. does this utilize the blitter correctly through Paeryn's SDL Lib or is just the scaling done through it? Seems like you'd get better performance than that. Regardless, good work. :)

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Jul 18 2006 at 08:17 PM said:
looks pretty damn good. As soon as I kill the itch from these blasted mosquito bites, I'll give it a go.

The friggen mosquito's around here are killing me.

This game looks pretty sweet, I gotta clear room on my SD card, filled up 4GB without any Movies or PS1 ISO's on it :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome! Thanks for porting the game!

Btw: on the front page of gp32x it says "Super Mario Wars", but the game is calle "Super Mario War" ;)

Yeah, cool game - are there any plans to implement AI for the other players? I notice that the windows version doesn't have it yet, so I figured it would have online multiplayer, but it doesn't have that yet either...

If in the future Wifi becomes possible, then multiplayer on this would be amazing.

Thanks for the port, looks gorgeous on the 2x screen ;)

Mr_Munk posted on Jul 20 2006 at 07:57 PM said:
Yeah, cool game - are there any plans to implement AI for the other players? I notice that the windows version doesn't have it yet, so I figured it would have online multiplayer, but it doesn't have that yet either...

If in the future Wifi becomes possible, then multiplayer on this would be amazing.

Thanks for the port, looks gorgeous on the 2x screen ;)

LOL, AI is implemented... to activate it, set IA player in the player select option on main menu.

Fun game, but the CPU is mean! XD Any chance for difficulty settings for those of us who suck? XP

Faugh posted on Jul 20 2006 at 06:33 PM said:
Fun game, but the CPU is mean! XD Any chance for difficulty settings for those of us who suck? XP
Im about to try the cpu...Is it really that bad?

In any event, difficulty settings would be quite nice.

UNSTOPPABLE, UNSTOPPABLE, UNSTOPABBLE :lol:

that was before i figured out how to enable CPU players ... on the PLAYERS menu item you toggle between enabled/disabled/CPU player. maybe future versions could have a cpu player enabled by defualt :)

also, the current shortcut button's don't make much sense. i can't count the number of times i've accidently hit X and wound up back @ the gph launcher. the shortcut is entirely unneccesary (the exit menu item works fine). if an exit shortcut is entirely necessary i'd go for the standard L+R+START and make it work everywhere (not just the menu like X does right now).

the menu interface would feel nicer if B wasn't over loaded with START MATCH along with activating/toggling regular menu items ... again, there's the START menu item, what's wrong with using that :ph34r:

BuD, are you planning to do more work on this port? even if not, thanks for this version, it's not quite sonic battle or powerstone but it hits the brawler spot in a pinch!

Back