Super Mario Kart(snes)

rpgchocobo

Chocobo Tamer
Website
Visit site
Today I am reviewing Super Mario Kart for the Snes. If you don't know what Mario Kart is, it is Nintendo's popular racing franchise featuring Nintendo characters. Super Mario Kart is the first of the series.

Graphics-The graphics are very decent for the Snes. They show the limits of the Snes' graphics in the best shape and form. They are fluent and the game is detailed. One of the best graphical games for the Snes out. 9/10

Sound- Well, there isn't much sound besides the noise of the cars you are driving and the items you use. Sound is basic. 5/0

Gameplay- The best style of racing there is for a video game. racing with popular characters and using items to make your way to finish first is brilliant! 10/10

Fun Factor- High. The game is very enjoyable but can get boring at times. 8/10

How is it on the GP32- It does't run the best, but with a GP32 overclocked to 166mhz you can get good speed without sound. Speed drops with sound enabled though. And seeing how not everyone can overclock to 166mhz, the game can be quite slow sometimes.....7/10

Overall- A fun game no doubt. You should play this game, one of the best on the Snes! 8/10

Hope you like my review :)

Deleted User posted on Aug 12 2004 at 08:22 PM said:
i get fullspeed no sound @ 156mhz

Good review!
What frameskip?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not so great on the GP32 but it is still a game worth talking about. I think it is an important game in the history of video game racing along these lines as bench marks:

Super Sprint
Pole Position
Mario Kart
Virtua Racing
Ridge Racer
Wipeout
Gran Turismo

I can't think of any modern racing game that does not owe a debt to one of these games.

WhizzBang posted on Aug 13 2004 at 12:45 AM said:
It's not so great on the GP32 but it is still a game worth talking about. I think it is an important game in the history of video game racing along these lines as bench marks:

Super Sprint
Pole Position
Mario Kart
Virtua Racing
Ridge Racer
Wipeout
Gran Turismo

I can't think of any modern racing game that does not owe a debt to one of these games.
think you'll find wipeout owes a considerable amount to Fzero

which works quite nicely on OSnes9x

CrazyDesi posted on Aug 12 2004 at 09:36 PM said:
Deleted User posted on Aug 12 2004 at 08:22 PM said:
i get fullspeed no sound @ 156mhz

Good review!
What frameskip?
uhhh... 2 i think.. No sound...

Maby not fullspeed, but fast enuff for me.

worth noting that mario kart was never that fast. even on the snes (compared to f zero or nigel mansel).

this doesn't alter the fact that mario kart was one of the best snes games. the only things that it lacked was a track editor (if only for battle mode) and a vs cpu battle mode.

Do you mean we can revive 3-month old threads without fear of backlash? :rolleyes:

- Alex

Back