Stop me if you think you've heard this one before

craigix

Mega GP Mania
Website
twitter.com
Hello.

I've been wintering away from the forum.

It's good though, it feels quite fresh here now. I've taken to exclusively wearing braces now, belts and trousers with belt loops simply are not acceptable to me anymore. I have in the past flirted with braces but I cannot stand the clip on ones, I only enjoy the real button based ones. I'm happy to say that I managed to find several pairs of trousers which have only the buttons. This made me happy and I've returned to the forum.

The new Pandora boards from CC are right. The nubs are also right. The shoulder buttons now use a foam pad to cushion them. This works really well and it also means that they are user serviceable should you want to adjust them for travel (you don't need to file the damned things down anymore!).

So the build process is suddenly a joy rather than a torture. Every unit 'just works'. No more lengthy nub tests.

We're churning out the 550 very quickly although we still test every unit twice (once before the FW flash and once after) which causes a bottleneck once they are all built.

I'm excited to see the results from these 550. They feel absolutely solid and we have built them in less than half the time the first 400 took.

This feels like a great reboot of the scene and I'm hoping for great things now we know we can ship the remaining orders nice and quickly.

I'm looking forward to building another 2500+ units and then many more!

And I'm looking forward to receiving my unit within 2 years of ordering ;)

Great to hear from you again Craig! Though I'm not sure the braces sound like such an improvement to your lifestyle ...

A toast to your excellent perseverance.

New-Years-Toast.jpg

Just one problem; care to explain that one guy whose Pandora smelled like whoever built it smoked?

Hello.

It's good though, it feels quite fresh here now. I've taken to exclusively wearing braces now, belts and trousers with belt loops simply are not acceptable to me anymore. I have in the past flirted with braces but I cannot stand the clip on ones, I only enjoy the real button based ones. I'm happy to say that I managed to find several pairs of trousers which have only the buttons. This made me happy and I've returned to the forum.

<deleted>

Where are the pictures of you with braces and the pandora's :)

( i am glad that your (and ED's) life look nicer than two month © ago)

What's the process for batch two. Is there going to be a wait or will it continue after batch 1

What's the process for batch two. Is there going to be a wait or will it continue after batch 1

Last I heard, it's supposed to be seamless into batch 2 after 1 is complete..

there has been talks of swapping Board suppliers if they don't get their act straightened out.. but it seems there is a steady flow of boards coming in..

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello.

The new Pandora boards from CC are right. The nubs are also right. The shoulder buttons now use a foam pad to cushion them. This works really well and it also means that they are user serviceable should you want to adjust them for travel (you don't need to file the damned things down anymore!).

So the build process is suddenly a joy rather than a torture. Every unit 'just works'. No more lengthy nub tests.

We're churning out the 550 very quickly although we still test every unit twice (once before the FW flash and once after) which causes a bottleneck once they are all built.

I'm excited to see the results from these 550. They feel absolutely solid and we have built them in less than half the time the first 400 took.

This feels like a great reboot of the scene and I'm hoping for great things now we know we can ship the remaining orders nice and quickly.

I'm looking forward to building another 2500+ units and then many more!
Well Craig, despite any.... issues OpenPandora has had with defective nubs and shotty lcd cables and shoulder buttons during the first few hundred shipped.... (and me being one of those lucky folks who received them) .... I still love this device. My pandora travels with me literally every where I go. I find a use for the damn thing every time I turn it on. It has a functional and responsive touchscreen, A REAL KEYBOARD, some of the best homebrew and emu's around, office apps...shoot I can go on and on.
Since I first heard of the "Craiginator" actually being built I had thoughts it was going to be something special. Just never knew how special.

Now since production is back on track... and things start to flow....

If in another few months to a year or so.... production meets demand... I'll be jumping on the order queue again just to have a second one for Backup.

I am extremely proud of the OpenPandora team and hope that all the stress, hair loss, and hard work pays off for em.

Frankly, I'd rather give my money to OpenPandora in a heartbeat over any Large corporation trying to push the next piece of "shoveled tech".

Typed from Pandora.

the mention of a foam pad on the shoulder buttons is what interests me.Does this make them more solid? or is it just handy for repairs.just curious.am excited about my second pandora now.

Craig, it's good to see you back, and actually have tangible GOOD NEWS that is actually happening NOW, and not what should be happening weeks and months from now(and years).

I had no idea that you guys had any kind of fix planned for the shoulder buttons. That was always my only real complaint with my unit that I thought needed to be improved. Mine always functioned properly, but they where just very hard to press down due to the way the buttons push the switch. I just returned my unit a few days ago for nub repair, it should arrive monday, so I will contact Jackie and see if my shoulder buttons can be fixed along with my nubs? Or is it just already included with the new boards at the shoulder button switches?

A lot of guys around here give you a lot of shit from time to time, but without you, this project couldn't have happened. I know the team never had plans to sell millions of Pandora's, but I hope it sells well enough that you guys can do other ventures, and support your geeky hobbies. The ICP is a nice start. My Pandora is wonderful, and I'm already having withdrawls since it left. I'm just glad it should be returned new and improved. It's very good that production is faster considering you will have to start the ICP soon, this will help out for all future assembly, GREAT NEWS! :lol:

Chris

Craig, it's good to see you back, and actually have tangible GOOD NEWS that is actually happening NOW, and not what should be happening weeks and months from now(and years).

I had know idea that you guys had any kind of fix planned for the shoulder buttons. That was always my only real complaint with my unit that I thought needed to be improved. Mine always functioned properly, but they where just very hard to press down due to the way the buttons push the switch. I just returned my unit a few days ago for nub repair, it should arrive monday, so I will contact Jackie and see if my shoulder buttons can be fixed along with my nubs? Or is it just already included with the new boards at the shoulder button switches?

A lot of guys around here give you a lot of shit from time to time, but without you, this project couldn't have happened. I know the team never had plans to sell millions of Pandora's, but I hope it sells well enough that you guys can do other ventures, and support your geeky hobbies. The ICP is a nice start. My Pandora is wonderful, and I'm already having withdrawls since it left. I'm just glad it should be returned new and improved. It's very good that production is faster considering you will have to start the ICP soon, this will help out for all future assembly, GREAT NEWS! :lol:

Chris
Well said jumpman.

Hey Craig, if you ever need a brake from braces, belts, and buttons, I recommend a drawstring.

Keep on keeping on!

Hey Craig, if you ever need a brake from braces, belts, and buttons, I recommend a drawstring.

Keep on keeping on!
The drawstring sweatpants are KING! Don't know what ive been doing fumbling around with jeans for so long! Thanks for the update and glad to see production is going well!

Thanks for the update.

Three questions:

1) Have you done any long-term tests on this? How does the travel/action fare when the foam pad starts to break down? Because, while I like the solution, it feels a little bit hacky, and short-term, as if it might not last too well.

2) Does that take into account the fact that all of the cases had already been pre-assembled before the boards arrived? Otherwise, that might be a significant factor in the speedup...

3) I'd also like an official confirmation about Batch 2, what you plan to do about the board company (was there ever a proper response), and an update on the TV cables.

Hey the braces sound like a good idea, less restriction around the waist, good of you to share such healthy lifestyle decisions with us.

Other stuff: also excellent!!!! The new Pandoras sound dreamy. I cannot wait. Well worth the wait!

The drawstring sweatpants are KING! Don't know what ive been doing fumbling around with jeans for so long! Thanks for the update and glad to see production is going well!
I completly agree with you guys. I gave up jeans and pants almost 20 years ago for my drawstring sweats, THEY CAN'T BE BEAT! ;)

Chris

... Have you done any long-term tests on this? How does the travel/action fare when the foam pad starts to break down? Because, while I like the solution, it feels a little bit hacky, and short-term, as if it might not last too well...
At first, I was concerned about this as well. But I think I noticed foam on my transparent N64 controller. I could be wrong, though, and there's no telling how this foam will hold up compared to that.

Edit: Nevermind, I think that's just a bit of board.

Back