Still Playing My Gp2X

budweiser

GP32 Hardcore
Just got to say i still use my gp2x almost everyday and have since I bought it a few years back.
One of the best investments I have ever made .Makes me feel good to pass it on to my brother
when the pandora comes out ,I'm sure he will get just as much from the gp2x as I have.. Bud

I just bought a GP2x and I was hoping to make some games for the little thing. I kept debating whether to buy it or not based on the fact that the user base may not be what it used to. I'm glad to hear that you still play it and that you'll be handing it off soon.

I keep using the GP2X that my brother passed onto me, and I enjoy it everyday! I love my little handheld, and even if I get a Pandora i'll still be using it every once in a while. :p

Less excitement on the GP2X forum than on the Wiz and Dingoo section, but I still consider the GP2X best for retrogaming and enjoy playing with it a lot. There are so many games and emulators, it will take a long time until its reign will end.

My interest comes and goes though, but I play it almost daily now. Had some fun with Warcraft today. Love that game, and I couldn't stop poking :)

I enjoy mine as well every day. I use it when I am bored, or just need to pass some time, but I love its versatility that I can have well over 2000 games in the palm of my hand, and that none of them take any longer than a minute to load unlike todays games.

DSR

I play mine all the time but my F200 has taken a nosedive and might be dead.. batteries don't seem to be able to run it anymore despite having done nothing wrong to it. Makes developing touchscreen games a lot harder.

I still have one more release coming out for F100/F200 but dunno when it's gonna come out.

I'm still using mine daily. It's one the best gadgets Ive owned, the interest level seems to keep on going.

I'm holding off on buying Wiz until some of the bugs are sorted out.

Long live the GP2X!

Senor Quack said:
I still have one more release coming out for F100/F200 but dunno when it's gonna come out.
I'm still coding (virtually) daily for the gp2x; hope to finish the current project by the end of the summer... although the aim of the game changes often.. Have written a new tile engine and am using that and will use that more in the future (probably gp2x still - as for the Atari STe, I think I was one of the last people still writing for it after the popularity died off in the early 90s.. I see the same pattern occurring here as at the end of the day I code games that I want to play on hardware I have - I don't have expendable income for the latest greatest consoles)

Last edited by a moderator:
kevcal said:
Senor Quack said:
I'm still coding (virtually) daily for the gp2x; hope to finish the current project by the end of the summer... although the aim of the game changes often.. Have written a new tile engine and am using that and will use that more in the future (probably gp2x still - as for the Atari STe, I think I was one of the last people still writing for it after the popularity died off in the early 90s.. I see the same pattern occurring here as at the end of the day I code games that I want to play on hardware I have - I don't have expendable income for the latest greatest consoles)

Aside from the reasons you mentioned, I really don't think the gp2x has been really pushed. A first generation game written by a guy in his basement looked really good and plays good (payback), so there is definitely more life in the gp2x. As far as emulators go, I TRULY think the gp2x can do more. A number of the developers have complained about the way the 2nd core is set up, yet Picodrive is able to use it. I really don't understand why other coders don't offload the audio to the second core and I would imagine (though I am no modern dev) that the 2nd core can run any extra thread. I don't believe in chasing tech when the tech I have is good enough and I really hope that when developers write for the wiz that they port to the gp2x as well because I would hate to see it die like the gp32 did.

Everyday.... I use mine EVERYDAY and still friggin love it!

This was the best purchase I ever made so many years ago. I watch TV shows, movies, listen to MP3s. I play games occaisionally. With the exception of my buddie's Shining Force Sega CD game. I got totally addicted to that. Thanks to the maintainers of PicoDrive so that I could play that wonderful game!!!

Every day....

Senor Quack said:

What are you cooking SQ? love your releases.

I too cannot put my handheld down. Best present the missus has bought me for Christmas. I'll just play it to death. Then get lost as to what to do next.
huh.gif

b_o_b said:
Senor Quack said:

What are you cooking SQ? love your releases.

Thanks :) I am going to port the Scrabble clone Xwords. You can play against the computer (quite challenging) or against another person (by passing the unit back and forth after making moves). It has only been ported to things like Palm and PocketPC so it will be a challenge to come up with a complete GUI using SDL.

dsraa said:
I enjoy mine as well every day. I use it when I am bored, or just need to pass some time, but I love its versatility that I can have well over 2000 games in the palm of my hand, and that none of them take any longer than a minute to load unlike todays games.

DSR
Using a modern game console, it takes a good 5 minutes before you can even begin to play something. First you have to turn it on, wait for a logo to show, eject the old game, insert the new, wait for logo, title screen, start, options, load, start, load the level and then finally you are playing a game. To be honest, most new games just suck anyway. The newest console I own is a dreamcast and only then to play mame. I do have a ps2 and a xbox, but the ps2 is just a dvd player and the xbox I found in the trash.

Chris

christo930 said:
dsraa said:

DSR
Using a modern game console, it takes a good 5 minutes before you can even begin to play something. First you have to turn it on, wait for a logo to show, eject the old game, insert the new, wait for logo, title screen, start, options, load, start, load the level and then finally you are playing a game. To be honest, most new games just suck anyway. The newest console I own is a dreamcast and only then to play mame. I do have a ps2 and a xbox, but the ps2 is just a dvd player and the xbox I found in the trash.

Chris

X-Men for the megadrive has to be the quickest insert-to-play game I've ever seen. Pop the cartridge in, hit the power button and... WTF? No start menu? No Sega logo? I didn't even get to choose my character?!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjobdJSEOHI

That's right! Well, the these things appear after the first scene.

Back